I'll try make this as short as possible

Basicaly have £4,500 in the bank due to the fact i have been saving for a car, But recently realised im moving to London in September, which makes having a car rediculous, specialy as im a student..

Have seen this as an opportunity. Il never have a some of this money in my bank again untill i have finished my degree... if then at all.

So im going to finaly sort out all my gear, to top grade, rather than doing what i've done so far and slowly save up for things.

Ive alwys wanted a Mesa Boogie rectifier, but is it worth it? i play a mixture of things, as long s it has good cleans and a decent overdrive it will suit me fine. I play a Gibson SG primarily.

Have read many reviews, all which say they are great, but want a second opinion?

I currently run through a Marshall AVT150 half stack and to be honest im sick of it.

Also thinking of getting an ESP Viper 7 string?

One more question (sorry bout this)

alot of people i have asked have said Mesa's arent that reliable, is this the case??

Cheers in advance!!

Splinter

P.S im sorry if A's are missing, the A fell off my laptop a couple of days ago so really have to stab the fella to get it working
Well, i tried an express, for about £1025 for 25 watts they sound amazing, i only tried it for about 5 mins cos i was waiting for an amp i could actually afford to be brought out, but theyre teh shinzit.
Mesa's rule.

I bought my Mesa quite some time ago and I still love it. If you can afford it, you'd be an ass if you didn't gave it some serious thought at least.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
If you live in the UK wouldnt mesa be like insanely exspensive?Check out Laney,their amps are great!
MESA FTW. the people who say that it isnt reliable its cuz they cant tweak it. just learn how to tweak the EQ's, channels and etc and you will have a great amp.

btw, i have only played a MESA BOOGIE DUAL RECTIFIER ROADSTER wich is a dual rectifier in combo version.

i was beggining to hate the amp at the music store when a dude that works there saw me and went to me, EQed here, pressed some stuff at the back and cuts here, bites this and then the tone was great. just gotta learn what that can do with tweaking
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
I'd say try an ENGL or something. I have a Mesa Dual Recto & an ENGL, tbh I like the ENGL lots more : )
cheers so far guys :]

Yeah i live in UK, so the Mesa from my quick research tends to be about £849 for the Cab.

And i cant remember where, but i found a head for a similar price.

If its worth it, like i said, i might have to go for it, seeing as im never going to have the opportunity again

Would it be worth keeping my Marshall 4x12 cab to use in conjunction? have seen a stack before with mesacab on bottom, marshall slant ontop?

edit: i must have been vastly mistaken for the head i refered to up there ^ just looked againand they appear to be around 1,700 atleast... even so i think i would go for it, would need to play first. could check out eBay aswell.
Last edited by splinter26 at Oct 8, 2007,
if you ask me, in the UK, unless it does the EXACT tone you hear in your head, they're too expensive. Look at what they go for in the US- a recto can be had new for $1500. here it's £1700 ($3500). Someone somewhere is vastly inflating those prices...

At that kind of money, you have about a bazillion options, and you owe it to yourself to try everything you can. Brunetti, engl (the higher/more expensive ones), soldano, diezel, VHT, bogner, Koch, Cornford, Framus, etc. etc. You need to try as many of those as is possible without blowing your amp budget.

The recto will sound about a bazillion times better than your AVT. Of course it will. The thing is, everything at that kinda price will make the avt sound like a toy. It's like upgrading from a Yugo to a £300,000 supercar. ANYTHING you try will absolutely pwn it beyond belief. But the only way to find the best is to try a bunch of similarly-priced ones.

Don't get me wrong, I like mesa. I just hate UK pricing on mesas. Here they're priced like boutique amps, and they aren't. They're (admittedly high quality) production amps.

as I said, don't get me wrong- if you try all those and prefer the mesa, by all means go for it. Just be aware you're paying over the odds for one.

ESP are also pretty dear in the UK- you can save a bit if you go with thomann though. Or you could try to obtain something direct from japan, say from ishibashi or something. Alternatively, you could get a luthier to make you a custom instrument...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave_MC speaks the truth

the rectifiers aren't supposed to be as good as the Mesa Boogie Mark IV
still though try a diezel herbert or bogner uberschall, they're probably better tonally and better priced in europe than they are over in america

edit: i've heard the bogner uberschall is the be all, end all of metal amps
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Dave_MC: Cheers for the advice man, yeh i hate how things are priced here, have noticed it with alot of things, if only i could get away with shipping one over from US without MASSIVE import taxs.

I think im going to have to go to a decent guitar store and play around with different amps before i make commitment.

Anyone have thoughts about using a marshall cab and a mes cab together (if i go down the mesa route)

Cheers again to everyone for your input!
^ i don't think you need two cabs

one 4x12 is PLENTY

just get a decent head
which marshall cab do you have?
marshall cabs are good, i've got a 1960A
the one's with the vintage speakers in are supposed to be better (albeit more expensive) but its down to taste

i'm not sure what shops stock diezel, bogner, VHT and that lot
they're usually more common in europe

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk
this place stocks VHT and bogner but you'd have to take a trip down to newcastle and make sure they have them in stock first!

i don't have a clue where to get diezel herberts from but thats like my dream amp lol

i'm saving for an ENGL powerball which are also awesomeeeeeeeee and cheap in europe
the americans have the opposite problem with ENGL to us with Mesa's and they always go on about how much they want ENGLs when we can get them for less than a grand and they're extortionately priced over there (its a german company)
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

^^ heck even with import taxes, shipping and a step-down transformer, you'd still be way ahead. the problem is mesa won't let the american stores ship here, because they know that if they did, no-one would buy from their dealers here.

i wouldn't want to use an avt cab with a mesa... the avt speakers are gash. a decent marshall cab (e.g. 1960V) would be no problem, of course.

Basically, you'll get the best value on something made in the UK- e.g. marshall, laney, cornford, matamp etc. I forgot to mention matamp actually, they supposedly have a badass high gain amp, but I haven't tried it. The next best value will be EU-made stuff (e.g. engl, diezel, koch, framus etc.), and coming a distant third will be US-made stuff, though obviously some US-made stuff is better value than others.

So yeah, it's just worth keeping in mind. Obviously don't buy a british-made amp if you hate it just because it's better value LOL. But also don't think that a mesa is better than, say, a brunetti, because it's more money... in the US, the brunetti could be twice as expensive as the mesa!

EDIT: yeah, you don't need 2 cabs.

EDIT: engls are actually a similar price in the US to europe, which is what a lot of people don't seem to realise... the problem in the US is that things like mesa, VHT and soldano are much more reasonably priced. So the engls appear relatively expensive.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Oct 8, 2007,
ah right cheers guys, only reason i mentioned having a marshall cab, was simply as i already have one, i'll sell it on with the head, it'l help toward to myfinal amp anyway.

I've made a note of the amps suggested and will do some thorough research tomorrow :]

just found a Mesa dual rectifier for £1250 second hand but in perfect condition, i understand i may have to replace the valves though. But thats a saving of £500. So im tempted i must say.

EDIT: infact just found another for £1,065 so thats near enough £700 quid saving
Last edited by splinter26 at Oct 8, 2007,
i just think you could get a better amp than a rectifier for 1250 quid...
do that research before you plunge into it
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

I'm basically repeating what Dave MC said, but this is what I was going to say before I even read the posts.

Mesa Boogies are great amps. Some people love the tone enough to call them the best (its all opinion guys ) but for the price...not so much. In America, I bought Mesa's Flagship amp, the Roadking used for about $1,700; new they are about $2,400-$2,500. In Europe, thats about $4,000 US partly because of import tax, currency exchange rates, shipping, and everything else involved in selling gear overseas.

I haven't played an Engl but most will say they are basically a Boogie from Europe. In US, they run about $2,500+; not exactly the best deal out there.

Boogies are great, don't get me wrong, but with you living outside of the states, I woudln't recommend it just because of the extreme price gouging.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
make sure you have a Noise Suppressor pedal ready.....boy you don't want to be chugging and shredding and stuff and have some nasty feedback kill your ears.
well...this is if you like to have some nice heavy distortion

otherwise id fly to london, steal your car, and kick you in the face if you didn't get it
how about getting a cheap used car and gear?
or EBAY FTW?
they sell nice cars for sick cheap pretty damn often
Quote by MrDURPEEDURP
make sure you have a Noise Suppressor pedal ready.....boy you don't want to be chugging and shredding and stuff and have some nasty feedback kill your ears.
well...this is if you like to have some nice heavy distortion

otherwise id fly to london, steal your car, and kick you in the face if you didn't get it
how about getting a cheap used car and gear?
or EBAY FTW?
they sell nice cars for sick cheap pretty damn often

Yes they do sell cars on Ebay, but if you read his post closely, he's not going to buy one right now, because he's going to London.

Also, I find that Mesa amps are very operatable without a noise gate.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by samtewari
i just think you could get a better amp than a rectifier for 1250 quid...
do that research before you plunge into it

i agree. i got my savage se for about that (granted i was lucky, and they've been discontinued), and I'd also rather have a brunetti xlr-evo (you can get those for about £1100 new if you're lucky), or a cornford.

of course, if you want the 100% authentic recto tone, the recto will do it better, but those amps i mentioned will do everything else (IMO) better.

Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm basically repeating what Dave MC said, but this is what I was going to say before I even read the posts.

Mesa Boogies are great amps. Some people love the tone enough to call them the best (its all opinion guys ) but for the price...not so much. In America, I bought Mesa's Flagship amp, the Roadking used for about $1,700; new they are about $2,400-$2,500. In Europe, thats about $4,000 US partly because of import tax, currency exchange rates, shipping, and everything else involved in selling gear overseas.

I haven't played an Engl but most will say they are basically a Boogie from Europe. In US, they run about $2,500+; not exactly the best deal out there.

Boogies are great, don't get me wrong, but with you living outside of the states, I woudln't recommend it just because of the extreme price gouging.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i hate to be the guy who always recommends the same amp, but i'm a huge fan and they're seldom brought up by others.

hughes & kettner triamp.

do yourself a favor and try one out.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
yeah i always forget it too. i'm not so fussed on channel 3, but the other two channels (that's actually 4 channels) are sweet.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?