I'm using a Boss Metal Zone MT2 effect pedal. Does anyone know how I can set it so that I get similar effects to Blackened by Metallica? Thanks.
Well what do you want? The cd tone or the live tone
The cd tone is garbage, but it's actually a great song, but go look in the ultimate settings thread
fiddle with it, its a greatttt pedal

'08 Ibanez S5470 Prestige
Gibson SG Special - discontinued teal finish
Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier
4x12 Mesa Oversized Slanted Cab
BOSS TU-2
iSP Decimator
Bud... I don't think there are any effects in Blackened... do you mean a Blackened tone?
If it's the intro you're talking about you'll need a volume pedal for the fade-in... other than that its just loads of distortion and gain with the mids scooped
Weird Al = Awesome
Buckethead = Awesome
Ergo, Awesome = Buckethead = Weird Al
Quote by Hart_Attack
the logic... its. so. precise! you broke the code! hail Omni-Ragnarok for answering lifes biggest question, who is buckethead.
My apologies, I was unclear. What I'm looking for is something similar to the live version. What settings on the pedal would you say James uses for the intro/verse riffs? Or is it something that just has to be played with to find out?
Quote by turnupthelow
My apologies, I was unclear. What I'm looking for is something similar to the live version. What settings on the pedal would you say James uses for the intro/verse riffs? Or is it something that just has to be played with to find out?

Are you talking about distortion?
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Distortion mostly, although if there is anything else I need to know please let me know. I don't know much about the pedal.
You won't sound like Metallica with that pedal, their gear is worth thousands.

Concentrate on getting a good sound out of your own gear and not copying other artists. Don't scoop your mids!
Schecter C1 Classic Left Handed
Line 6 POD HD500
Peavey Valveking 112
I concur with "don't scoop the mids". I have long thought it is a misunderstanding thinking that metal players scoop the mids out. I was reading a recent interview with Kerry King and he said this same thing.....that he actually RAISES the mids above the treble and the bass.

I am working on "Blackened" currently, and I play the mid slightly above the bass and the bass slightly above the treble and but the distortion a little over half way (this is a Metal Muff pedal I'm talking about). on my amp, I have the treble set around 8, bass around 4, and mid around 3.

aside from the distortion, I assume you already know that Hetfield throws a heavy ass dose of palm muting in the intro (not the solo intro, but the fast pre-verse part) and verse. and also, downstroking. the palm muting is the key effect to a lot of Metallica songs.

and I agree that "Blackened" is one of the most killer Metallica songs ever.
ive heard/read somewhere that, the intro to blackened is played with a reverse effect, or its recorded, then played backwards, somethin.. makes sense, seeing as far as my knowledge, they always play the intro taped..
Quote by vivalasoad883
ive heard/read somewhere that, the intro to blackened is played with a reverse effect, or its recorded, then played backwards, somethin.. makes sense, seeing as far as my knowledge, they always play the intro taped..

Yeah, i had heard that too.

Quote by Pontius2000

aside from the distortion, I assume you already know that Hetfield throws a heavy ass dose of palm muting in the intro (not the solo intro, but the fast pre-verse part) and verse. and also, downstroking. the palm muting is the key effect to a lot of Metallica songs...

+1, A good palm-muting technique can do wonders on the tone.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS