Hello there!

I really want a 50watt tube amp, the hughes and kettner switchblade.
I also know that you can't really play tube amps at low sounds, it will sound bad. So i am wondering is it overkill to have a 50watt tube amp when i live in an apartement? Because i can't really play loud because of the neighbours.

Sorry for the bad english.
Quote by iloevguitar
Hello there!

I really want a 50watt tube amp, the hughes and kettner switchblade.
I also know that you can't really play tube amps at low sounds, it will sound bad. So i am wondering is it overkill to have a 50watt tube amp when i live in an apartement? Because i can't really play loud because of the neighbours.

Sorry for the bad english.

It doesn't sound bad to play them at low levels, you'll just need an OD pedal to overdrive it.
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Thank you for your quick answer! I've always though that tube amps at low levels sound horrible. Now i've learned something new today
Quote by iloevguitar
Thank you for your quick answer! I've always though that tube amps at low levels sound horrible. Now i've learned something new today

No way man, I've never heard a tube amp that sounds bad at any level (assuming it's got good tubes) Depending on what you play, it could be good to have that much overkill. That means you can have more clean headroom. On my tube amp at least, at about half volume it overdrives, leaving me almost no room for playing clean. (5-watts)
Good Luck
Okay, well i do have a digital practice amp also, it's just that i've always wanted a real tube amp. I'll hope for the best and buy one.
tube amps are too much for apartments if you want a good sound.
Using a pedal defeats the purpose of having the tube amp...unless its used as a boost in which case it would have no effect at low volume
Quote by bartdevil_metal
20-30w is probably a happy medium for home practice.

really? Maybe it's a good idea if i just find a place to jam at and play more clean stuff at home.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
20-30w is probably a happy medium for home practice.

These will still be way too loud for an apartment. I gig with 30W amps, with the volume down around 3 or 4. Even a 5W amp might be too much.

iloevguitar, if you're getting this amp just for the house, get something a lot smaller. If you need an amp for jamming/gigs and the house, you can play any size amp at home. Tube amps sound better cranked, but they don't necessarily sound bad at lower volumes. It's just if you want to get the most out of the amp, you want it's size to match your needs.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
can someone explain me a bit of tube amps? they don't have an "overdrive" channel (distortion channel) like some Solid State amps? so, if you want to play with distortion you have to put it "loud"??

If it's that true (what i said before) what happens if i want to play loud (like on a gig) with an electroacustic guitar and i want to sound clean??? :S
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
20-30W should be plenty. My amp is 100W, but switchable to 50, 25 and 10. I only use the 10W setting, and even then, I can't turn it up very high.
Quote by tiky
can someone explain me a bit of tube amps? they don't have an "overdrive" channel (distortion channel) like some Solid State amps? so, if you want to play with distortion you have to put it "loud"??

If it's that true (what i said before) what happens if i want to play loud (like on a gig) with an electroacustic guitar and i want to sound clean??? :S

Well that's what I was saying earlier, go for an amp a little more powerful than what you need, if you play clean stuff. It will stay cleaner longer as you boost the volume, for the most part.
I need a lot of power on my new amps, going for big gigs, that's cos i'm entering in the world of tubes, but i'm also afraid, that if i buy something too big, playing in my house would kill all my neighbours, right now, i play at almost max volume with a 30w SS (just for practising, i had a friend lending me one bigger when we playd on gigs)

So; if i get a 30w of tube, can i get the tube distortion without blowing my ears? And also the same question but backwards, can i play clean when giging with a 30w tube? and also, how does the distortion works on them, there are just one channel? or an overdrive and clean channel? hope you understand. my english is not perfect
Since 2002 using UG. This page teached me how to play guitar and help'd me to embrace the passion of my life: Music.
Quote by tiky
I need a lot of power on my new amps, going for big gigs, that's cos i'm entering in the world of tubes, but i'm also afraid, that if i buy something too big, playing in my house would kill all my neighbours, right now, i play at almost max volume with a 30w SS (just for practising, i had a friend lending me one bigger when we playd on gigs)

So; if i get a 30w of tube, can i get the tube distortion without blowing my ears? And also the same question but backwards, can i play clean when giging with a 30w tube? and also, how does the distortion works on them, there are just one channel? or an overdrive and clean channel? hope you understand. my english is not perfect

Most tube amps do have two channels.
Quote by mrchow
get an attenuater?

All the problems suggested in this thread answered in one post. I salute you mrchow.
Yeah an attenuator will help. I'm no amp expert, but an attenuator will take the signal from your amp and release some of the "power" from it as heat, and send a smaller signal to the speaker. Thus you get the same tone as lesser volume. I think they're pricey, though.
how much does atttenuator costs? and how do they work? you can put on and off when you want?
Quote by tiky

1. there are plenty of tube amps with 2, 3, and even 4 channels that range from clean to harder overdrive/distortion.

most 1 channel amps that i know of aren't voiced for metal and i wouldn't consider them to be able to cross over into "distortion" (basically extreme overdrive) when they're cranked.

2. the more watts a tube amp is, the more "headroom" there is available to play clean. a 30watt tube amp should be able to play any live situation perfectly clean without being mic'd.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
1. there are plenty of tube amps with 2, 3, and even 4 channels that range from clean to harder overdrive/distortion.

most 1 channel amps that i know of aren't voiced for metal and i wouldn't consider them to be able to cross over into "distortion" (basically extreme overdrive) when they're cranked.

2. the more watts a tube amp is, the more "headroom" there is available to play clean. a 30watt tube amp should be able to play any live situation perfectly clean without being mic'd.

thx for the answer, very useful indeed, but i don't need anything like metal, in fact,
Im going to play classic rock(hendrix, the doors, pink floyd), some progressive stuff(A lot of King Crimson, and rush) , but i also need the ammount of distortion to play good punk rock and **** that i still like of when i was a teenager :P

Very soon there will be a post for my needings, but i keep researching and having a lot of good answers
no problem, just go out and play plenty of amps and see what they can do.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by mrchow
get an attenuater?

wow thanks everyone for the nice suggestions, just one more question, does Attenuators work on combo amps and can you set the Attenuator so that the sound will be att normal practise levels? By that i mean is there a limit to these attenuators?
Quote by iloevguitar
wow thanks everyone for the nice suggestions, just one more question, does Attenuators work on combo amps and can you set the Attenuator so that the sound will be att normal practise levels? By that i mean is there a limit to these attenuators?

yes, attenuators work on combo amps, but you need to connect the speaker cable into the attenuator from the amp, and then from the attenuator connect it to the speakers.

attenuators come in different uhm, wattage resistances. if your amp is 50watts, you'd might want to invest in a 75watt or higher attenuator, because when you get the powertubes working hard, they push out more wattage than what's usually thought to be the amp's actual wattage.

they tend to suck some tone the more you attenuate the amp, but if you crave powertube overdrive, it'll work fine for you.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by slatsmania
These will still be way too loud for an apartment. I gig with 30W amps, with the volume down around 3 or 4. Even a 5W amp might be too much.

The problem with tube amps, the volume seems to really become an issue at certain levels when going from amp to amp. Fender Hotrods hit like 70% of their total volume at like 3, while a Mesa F50 is loud at 1/4 but the difference between 1/4 and 1/2 is pretty large but beyond 1/2 there isn't much difference at all.

Switchblades if i'm not mistaken have a master knob along with the channel volume. You get a similar to pushed tone by cutting the master way down and cranking the channel volume but it's still not true tube rawness.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The switchblade will get satisfactory distortion tones at low volumes, having half of it being done from a digital preamp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra