I'm changing the pick-ups on a friends Les Paul Studio, it currently has 2 EMG81's in it. This seems rather wierd to me, I've not heared of this before. Can anyone tell me of any advantages/disadvantages of this configuration & whether the 81 is normally a neck or bridge pick-up? The guitar dates from 1989 (he has the original receipt, although he's not the original owner) & it appears that the pick-ups were shop not factory fitted. All opinions welcome (exept rude ones ) Thank you.
81 is a bridge pickup (usually)
kirk hammet uses that exact pickup configuration
they're high output active pickups with a battery
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Sometimes you can EMG -81s for neck as well. If I'm not mistaken, Zack Wylde had it for a time.

...God I hate Zack Wylde...
I didn't know Kirk used 2 81's, Ithought he used an 81/85 config.They work very well, my friend is more into classic rock & they're a bit too much for him, if you get my drift. I'm replacing them with, hpoefully, a SD '59 neck & bridge set (& yes, I do know to change the 25k pots for 250k tone & 500k volume pots)
Quote by anguskilminster
I didn't know Kirk used 2 81's, Ithought he used an 81/85 config.They work very well, my friend is more into classic rock & they're a bit too much for him, if you get my drift. I'm replacing them with, hpoefully, a SD '59 neck & bridge set (& yes, I do know to change the 25k pots for 250k tone & 500k volume pots)

he does use the 81/85 configuration and James Hetfield uses an 81/60 configuration
Agile Septor Elite 7-String
ESP H-1007
ESP H-1001
Peavey 5150
Mesa Boogie Cab

Recording Gear -
PreSonus FireStudio Interface
CX5 Studio Monitors
The 81 and 85 are intended to be Bridge and Neck respectively but some, like me, think the 85 is too bassy and the 81 doesn't have the same low-mid response. It's really just preference and that goes with any pickup. A lot of it depepnds on what you like and the kind of tonewood your guitar is made of, which determines the overall tonal balance of your guitar. Some think an 81 in a Mahogany guitar is too bright and some say an 85 in a Basswood body is too muddy. Also, you gotta consider that the neck position generally gets more bass volume from the strings just because they move so much more. An 81 in the neck might get rid of the muddy bass and add some high end definition. The opposite is true of an 85 in the bridge position... it'll tame the treble and get maximum low end. Just remember, they're very high output and high gain and tight low end aren't necessarily synonymous.
MetallyGuitarded.com
- Music Man Silhouette w/stock Floyd - Evo(B) ToneZone(N)
- Boss SD-1 & CS-3, EHX Hazarai & Clone Theory
- VHT PittBull 45 - 2x12
I like the 81 in the bridge on my guitar it is really good for leads. I did have my 81/85s in a LP and did find the bass a bit to much they sound much better in my 83 strat but it came with EMGs from the factory 3 singles and I put 2 89s in it. I put the 81/85s in it and like the difference in tone I get. But thats the wood I think. You gotta find the right guitar to put em in. I know zakk likes em in a LP but I didnt so much.
Kirk uses 81/81 and 81/SA/SA on his strats, not 85's at all. The 81/81 is a good configuration for lead players cause it gives quite a lot of power and it gives a bit more treble frequency in the neck than the bass heavy 85 (which ppl will either love or hate, just preference).

The good thing with EMG's is if that config doesnt suit you, you can buy a 60 or an 85 and all you have to do is unclip the 81 in the neck and replace it with the new one; no soldering as they use the quick clip system. Great if you prefer what you have, and gives you so much more tonal options for recording.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
Sometimes you can EMG -81s for neck as well. If I'm not mistaken, Zack Wylde had it for a time.

...God I hate Zack Wylde...

lol, you don't even know how to spell his name, twat!
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands