How do you?

Because I doubt most of us buy overpriced albums in person from any major chain of stores that really aren't record stores and that probably don't have the music we want anyway and if they did it would probably be nearly impossible to find.

my primary methods of actually purchasing records include tower.com (cheaper than insound.com) and shows.

torrents, usually via torrentz.com, not always helpful.
and yesterday i discovered this website (Andrew EDIT: Sorry, had to remove the link).

and i mostly discover new bands on last.fm or through friends.
For jazz, rock, rap and some elctronica I use www.rateyourmusic.com and last.fm which are spot on a lot of the time. For classical I just find the classics which are nearly always quality.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Quote by system
last.fm or through friends.

+1

This forum's also helpful too.
freeindie, word of mouth and there's a small time recordshop near my uni that has some real good stuff in it.
Usually I just take a chance with something almost at random.
Most of the time I've heard the name about or just interested by the little description or review or otherwise I just want to buy and try something new.
Quite often just take recommendations from shop owners as well. Just got to find those shops that you trust the taste of.

There are a number of good blogs out there though that I just come across and see they appreciate the same kind of things I do, and then when I spot something I don't know it sometimes seems worthwhile to take a bit of a punt at it.

That rateyourmusic site is ok to an extent. Just sometimes feel that the general population on there has horrible taste and rates albums completely the wrong way round.
Allmusic.com is a decent one to check up on for similar artists or for some older stuff that is reasonably hard to find out about. For older stuff I generally look to a few labels like Amber Soundroom (although now sadly gone) for re-issues or just look around on ebay for some bargains or oddities.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
The vast majority of the bands I like I've discovered via Sirius 26 Left Of Center.

Occasionally I'll hear about them from various other places, like Pitchfork or Paste. And then sometimes I "stumble upon" them.

I get most of my records used off Amazon, though. It's soooo much cheaper that way.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
Last edited by K-Lizzle at Oct 8, 2007,
a lot of the things i have gotten interested have come from:
-here
-interviews with musicians name dropping things
-reviews of albums i like where other things get name dropped
-friends

i acquire in a couple ways:
-downloading, although i am trying to stop
-amazon
-ebay
-garage sales
-the occasional trip to the music store
-sharing with friends
Quote by uhh_me?
-downloading, although i am trying to stop

Quote by uhh_me?
i was thinking about this today. i think i am going to end up redownloading fl.

I feel stalkerish...
Honestly though, I live in a third world country, so finding good music in stores is near impossible. Every now and then I'll buy a cd from the internet, but most of the times I just go on shopping sprees whenever I'm traveling...
Of course I only buy stuff I've already heard.

Quitting downloading is just like quitting masturbation, it's hard.

That's what she said.

I keep using the same jokes
Quote by julio1987

I feel stalkerish...

fruity loops is free to download the demo of, you just have to pay to get the full version. if i decide i like it i might pay for it.
Quote by uhh_me?
fruity loops is free to download the demo of, you just have to pay to get the full version. if i decide i like it i might pay for it.

Sorry...
Discovering new music:

Popular Music (rock, rap, metal, electronica, jazz, soundtracks, etc)
Epinions.com (I no longer use it to discover new music)
Amazon.com (great tool for finding new music)

Classical Music
Wikipedia.com (useful for seeing whether a certain piece is popular or not)

Obtaining Music

Popular Music
A certain website whose link I can't divulge.
Torrents.
I used to use Limewire, but no more.

Classical Music
ClassicCat.com! Excellent source. Has TONS of free music (all in the public domain).
Torrents.
Piano Society, Peabody, and others that are all listed in ClassicCat anyways.
Quote by uhh_me?
a lot of the things i have gotten interested have come from:
-friends

-sharing with friends

I wish I had more friends who shared music with me. I'm always the kid who shares my music with them, but it's rarely reciprocated.

Snappp.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
I used to look through forums about music I don't know about and listen to songs on you tube.

I got into loads of bands I never thought I'd like since I joined UG

Ummm, I pretty much don't really get so much new music nowadays.
Really, the only time I ever decide to get new albums is when I'm going to a show and I haven't listened to the other bands.
But I actually don't even bother doing that anymore.

But as for attaining music....ummm, download all the way.

It's easier.
Faster.
Etc.

I think the only time I bought anything at a show was when I went to go watch Page France, and I was talking to Whitney, and she's soooooooooo hot/cute and well, I would feel dumb to just talk and leave (because I already had bought my shirt before the show) so I just bought records for the Broadway show, a side project of sorts.

We're sooo totally into each other and getting serious.

Quote by yawn
Discovering new music:

Popular Music (rock, rap, metal, electronica, jazz, soundtracks, etc)
Epinions.com (I no longer use it to discover new music)
Amazon.com (great tool for finding new music)

Classical Music
Wikipedia.com (useful for seeing whether a certain piece is popular or not)

Obtaining Music

Popular Music
A certain website whose link I can't divulge.
Torrents.
I used to use Limewire, but no more.

Classical Music
ClassicCat.com! Excellent source. Has TONS of free music (all in the public domain).
Torrents.
Piano Society, Peabody, and others that are all listed in ClassicCat anyways.

I find that Epinions and Amazon are both only full of people sucking the bands dick off. Most releases are 4.5/5 or 5/5 which is why I prefer rateyourmusic.com, which is a lot more balanced except for the fact that a lot of boring prog-metal gets high ratings because people who don't like prog-metal don't care enough to listen to it and balance out the ratings.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Find bands you like and find reviewers who like the same bands as you do.
Then get the stuff that they like that you didn't know about.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
I find that Epinions and Amazon are both only full of people sucking the bands dick off. Most releases are 4.5/5 or 5/5 which is why I prefer rateyourmusic.com, which is a lot more balanced except for the fact that a lot of boring prog-metal gets high ratings because people who don't like prog-metal don't care enough to listen to it and balance out the ratings.
I don't think Epinions really has that problem, but you're definitely right about that in regards to Amazon. It's insanely rare to see an album rated less than 4 stars overall. And the system of "Was this helpful to you?" is f*cked up, with only 5-star reviews being chosen as helpful. Oh well. It's still helped me find a lot of great new music, despite the fanboy tendencies of its reviewers.
I wrote a brief one star review on amazon for that appalling Bonde Do Role album, so it's not all 5 star reviews But it does often seem like it is, especially when there are only one or two for an album. The best way to find out if it's decent on amazon is to check the 'people also bought' part on the album's page and then think about the review. If you like the other albums then it might be worth a shot, if not then it's more of a risk.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic