I find gloss necks unplayable. I sweat a lot, just the way i am, i just find them sticky and slow. I prefer satin necks.

But I love schecter guitars and I really want a C1 Elite.

Any ideas?
Theres a surgery you can get thats supposed to decrease hand sweat.
blues....
Quote by speckley
The surgery? No I think its reversable.

Umm go to the pit please? No need for clowns here
Just take it off with very fine sandpaper or steel wool, then throw some wax on there afterward.

There was a thread about it in the GB&C a couple of days ago.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by speckley
Geez...

Relax, its only the internet.

Exactly, i could use that sentence in 50% of the threads on here.
Really high grit sandpaper/finishing paper, sand off the gloss coat and polish it with wood polish.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Wont it look funny though? No colour on the neck in certain places.

Keeping in mind the schecter eilite is not bolt on.
The clearcoat is, well, clear. As long as you don't take off the finish underneath entirely then it should still be a similar color just not as glossy. It will however be more susceptible to finish damage without the protective layer of clear.
If you wash your hands before you play not only will you sweat less but you won't have gunk build up all over the back of your neck.

If you wipe off or use guitar cleaner on the neck every time you play it will be less likely to build up gunk in the future.

...or you could sand it with 500+ grit sandpaper.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Yeah it wouldn't be as pretty, but its the back of the neck. Its all about feeling comfortable about making the change to your guitar. There are things that could ruin your guitar a lot faster but its still one of those changes that's not reversible outside of refinishing/recoating the neck.

It would probably reduce the resale value of the guitar too. But if you really want the guitar to be right for you then go right ahead.
Quote by Carvinlover
Use black magic car interior polish that stuff is incredible for speed it last along time to. I can't play with out it now. It does'nt hurt the neck either. Way better then fast fret. Or finger ease.

WARNING!! BAD ADVICE ALERT!!

Read my post and Jenny's in this thread

EDIT - Same time CJRocker!!
I forgot to mention something I use on my Explorer.

Dunlop Formula 65 body cleaner and body wax.

The body cleaner gives it an ultra smooth feel and the wax keeps it smooth for a good while.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Carvinlover
Use black magic car interior polish that stuff is incredible for speed it last along time to. I can't play with out it now. It does'nt hurt the neck either. Way better then fast fret. Or finger ease.

STOP ADVERTISING YOUR STUPID FKING PRODUCT

And I suppose you could always try an unfinished neck?
Cancer.
Quote by Carvinlover

You don't give up do you? Stop advertising this product, youv'e had two very knowledgable people tell you it is a very bad idea.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Its just a symptom of our society, shortcuts. There is no need for effort or hard work just go buy something to make it easier. These are the same kinda guys who get on here and say they cant put strings on their guitar, they go pay the music store to do it. I would think changing strings and knowing how to tune a guitar would be one of the first things to learn. As for gunk on a guitar its just a fact of life. I dont imagine hendrix or page went down to autozone and bought car wax or armor all. They just worked harder at it. But thats not how we do things now. We find some shortcut or cheat code to beat the game.
i wouldnt attempt it yourself, but you could sand down to the wood and refinish it in a thin oil.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
i think if its going to affect aesthetics and reasle its not worth buying the guitar. the elite is a beautiful looking guitar, part of the value. so its prob not the guitar for me as i like satin finishes.
I sanded my neck, and its perfect
as long as you dont sand TOO much and end up sanding off the paint, removing the clearcoat is fine

the neck is amazingly smooth.
polish it a bit with a guitar polish afterwards
Sanding would probably be the most effective solution to the problem you're describing but also the most permanent. I've found on my gibby's (they have a nitro finish on the neck) that polishing the neck a lot early on helps when they're new. After about 6-12 months (depending on amount of play) the "problem" will be less and less apparent and require less frequent polishing. There's still a full layer of clear coat, but most of the factory buffing wax has been worn away and broken in and doesn't accumulate oils/dirt from your hand and precipitate out of the finish to form that tacky buildup anymore. I've read that using naptha (lighter fluid) can take hat wax off without causing too much harm to a nitro finish but I never felt like I needed to use it myself. I kind of enjoy the time it takes me to break in a guitar and get to know it's various qualities.

I don't currently own any gutiars that are poly finished on the necks and I never took care of the ones I owned like I do my current ones so I can't really comment if the same approach works there.
nitrocellulose lacquer is is a clear coat derived from cotton. it's the traditional clear coat. if you believe the marketing hype, it lets the wood breathe and age allowing for better tone over time. polyurethane is plastic. same stuff you would use on floors and stuff. it's more durable but isn't as easily repairable and some people would say it kills the tone a bit. just a preference between old and new, really. poly is cheaper and easier to apply and more durable. with nitro you get things like increased likelihood of finish checking and such. when they're at their prime, they're both a gloss clear coat to make the guitar look shiny. old vs. new technology. But since the base materials are different and I don't have a crappy guitar to test on, I don't know whether they will react chemically differently to the naptha. the nitrois generally softer and more delicate, but plastic does weird things sometimes.
Interesting fact.

Nitrocellulose = 'gun cotton' = smokeless powder.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Yeah, it's derived from a similar process but it's a different type of nitrocellulose. I don't recall the specifics but that was my first thought too and I did some reading and found it's not exactly the same kind of stuff, haha.