i've got a few boss stompboxes and I've noticed they all have the little sticker on the front that say "Use Boss PSA only". Now I have a generic 9 volt adaptor that turns the pedal on when i plug it into the wall/pedal, but should I not do this? Is it bad for the pedal? Or do they just want you to buy their adaptor? Thanks!
Last edited by jakescape at Oct 8, 2007,
I don't think there is any cause for alarm as long as you match the expected voltage. My Boss takes 9.6v input though so verify yours. You also must match the polarity of the plug. Either + on the inside or outside.

I am using a common wall-wart for my CryBaby wah that I had for an R/C transmitter that just happened to be the right voltage and polarity.

Chris
I just checked the pedals (ds-1, mt-2, and ce-5 just for reference) and in parentheses they all said "9V DC" so i'm assuming that means it will work fine then? If that's the case im going to grab a couple more of these since there so cheap compared to all the 9 volts .
hmm get a one spt adapter with a daisy chain...thats all you need...be careful to make sure the adapter is the right polarity, and output (in mA) or else you may fry the pedals...been there done that
╠═══════╬═══════╣

Tap Tempo Tap Dancer of τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

MINION of the"I drive a stick cause I'm better than you!!" Club

PM TehNez or IbanezPlayer27 to join.

EHX Users Guild. Bugera Users Militia
The MXR Lounge
Quote by Bloodshed
hmm get a one spt adapter with a daisy chain...thats all you need...be careful to make sure the adapter is the right polarity, and output (in mA) or else you may fry the pedals...been there done that

That would be the best option if you have the money, otherwise, go for it as long as you have the voltage and polarity right. Some are polarity switchable so you might at least look for that.

Chris
sorry, whats the polarity and how can i find that on the pedal/adaptor?

and yeah for the daisy chain idea as soon as i get a tu-2 (within the next 3-4 months) im going to be doing that
The wall-warts I have seen have a little picture pointing to what is "+" and what is "-". Your pedal should have this as well. Its nothing special, just designates where the positive side and negative side are (either on the inside or out) on the plug. As I mentioned, some are switchable so you can change whats positive and whats negative. If that still doesn't make sense (and that's ok), just say so and I will find a pic to show you.

Chris
thanks hardcore i was actually looking at that when you posted it. ill look into that a bit more tonight.

yea RC if you could get a picture that would be great, on the wall wart it says "300mA" but I cant find anything on the pedals
Quote by jakescape
thanks hardcore i was actually looking at that when you posted it. ill look into that a bit more tonight.

yea RC if you could get a picture that would be great, on the wall wart it says "300mA" but I cant find anything on the pedals

that power package is 1400 ma's so one pedal using 300 ma's would make you have 1100 left over etc
no the wall wart is 300 ma, my question is how many does the pedal have so im not overworking it and end up frying it
Quote by jakescape
no the wall wart is 300 ma, my question is how many does the pedal have so im not overworking it and end up frying it

Well that unfortunately is not worded properly. It all depends how many pedals you have and how many MA's they use together, just as long as total isn't above 1400 ma's
im not talking about the adaptor you showed me, im talking about the one im using right now that im unsure about.
Quote by jakescape
im not talking about the adaptor you showed me, im talking about the one im using right now that im unsure about.

Well would it not make sense for you to post more information about that then chum, I mean I don't quite have your brain
ha i didnt? ok ill recap it then. The boss pedals need a 9V DC and thats what the wall wart is. The wall wart has a 300mA. My question is how could i find out if that works with the pedal (it physically works but if its overworking it i won't continue). Am I overworking the pedal, or is it ok basically
Quote by jakescape
ha i didnt? ok ill recap it then. The boss pedals need a 9V DC and thats what the wall wart is. The wall wart has a 300mA. My question is how could i find out if that works with the pedal (it physically works but if its overworking it i won't continue). Am I overworking the pedal, or is it ok basically

I assume a "wall wart" is a particular pedal you want, which I had to think hard to figure out with your bad explanations, and to your correction BOSS pedals use 9.6V while your pedal uses 9.0V, , so there is a problem =P, you won't notice it at first till ummm Doom comes and fries yah read what your setup needs in per say a manual perhaps
You MUST match the Volts..

if it says 9v then you must match 9V

however, what I'm not sure about is the 300mA..

If a pedal only requires 100mA and your adapter says 300mA, does that make a difference?
Quote by henza_x
You MUST match the Volts..

if it says 9v then you must match 9V

however, what I'm not sure about is the 300mA..

If a pedal only requires 100mA and your adapter says 300mA, does that make a difference?

means you have 200ma left, which can power another pedal if needed, but you wouldn't have to even think of that unless you had more than 1 pedal connected to it at once, and exceeded 300ma
Ok, here is a pic showing the "+" and "-" polarity. The book that came with your pedals should have the info on polarity and such. If it doesn't, go to the Boss site, look up your pedal and they will have the owners manual for you online.

It is very important that you get this right or your pedal could be useless after (read: fried).
Attachments:
Polarity-Positive-Connection.jpg
Last edited by RCShadow at Oct 8, 2007,
Quote by hardcoredarrell
means you have 200ma left, which can power another pedal if needed, but you wouldn't have to even think of that unless you had more than 1 pedal connected to it at once, and exceeded 300ma

ahhh thank you thats the explanation i needed on that

and to RC, the adaptor has that symbol with the semi circle facing the + which is the same with all 3 of the pedals. So im assuming this means it won't work then since you'll need + and -, correct?
Quote by jakescape
So im assuming this means it won't work then since you'll need + and -, correct?

It must be early because I do not understand your question??

Sorry!

Chris