Is this amp pretty good for the money? The reviews I read sound pretty good, but they could'vebeen written by employees. And another question; what exactly is a rectifier?
"The Soup Nazi of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join"

Member of the SG Commandos
Honestly man you could do a HELL of a lot worse, for the price its a great amp, theres a little problem with noise but on the whole its a solid bit of kit. I havent owned one for any proper length of time some hopefully someone will come along and give you some long term opinions
Diezel, Motherfucker
ive played one before and in my opinion there bettor than the marshall DSL's
the B-52 have bettor tone. I havent bought one but if i ever bought a tube amp that is the one i would get **** peavey for there shty valvekings from the sounds that they makes youd be surprised it was a tube amp becouse there so ****ing quite , and **** marshall for being to damned over priced get the B-52. the only thing that ive read about repeatedly though is im not sure wich one the AT or the ST, because they two diff tube amps, is that they over heat alot but im not usre wich one look into that wont you
Man you are not right. I have a suspicion you haven't played the B52 very much or Valveking at all. I have owned and played both extensively. The truth is that they are both budget tube amps with different strengths and weaknesses. I have gotten really good tone from both of them. Neither amp is better than a DSL quality-wise. As for sound it depends on what you are looking for and whether or not you know how to get the best from the amp.
the bad B-52 AT's are still in most stores, they have been known to break really quickly even before use....I actually liked the Valve King Better for metal in a store , although it does take some time to understand how it works to get right tone and sound
Well, is there any other amps in that price range that can play punk, metal, and other rock? And I still don't know what rectifier means.
"The Soup Nazi of the Seinfeld Avatar Club-PM IHATECHILDREN to join"

Member of the SG Commandos
A rectifier is a device (tube or solid state) that converts the alternating current (AC) into the direct current (DC) needed by the amp. Solid state rectifiers tend to be more "aggressive" sounding than tube rectifiers, and there are also hybrid devices. They contribute to the "voicing," i.e. the unique sound of an amp. This is the best I can explain it as I am not a techie, someone else is welcome to correct or add on.
The B-52s are awesome amps, I love the sound they get for how cheap they are. They have been known to have problems, but they have apparently been fixed since then.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The B-52s are awesome amps, I love the sound they get for how cheap they are. They have been known to have problems, but they have apparently been fixed since then.

yes, but still not good and stores still sell the bad ones
I'm not much for metal, but a kid at my school has one and it sounds good. Tone was really good but he couldve adjusted the eq settings to really make it sing. Hes into shred (he's pretty good too), pantera, and the likes. It sounds good for the genre but i havent heard enough of it to say how good the versatility is though. Good luck!
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite