i like to play hard rock(led zepplin, green day, ACDC) but also alternative my budget is $250 the two i am looking at are the Marshall MG30DFX or the Crate GX212 with digital effects(120 watts) which one is better, is their a better amp for $250 or less?
Fortunes heights singer and guitarists
What amp do you currently have? None of those amps are particularly good, you might wnat to save up for a little bit longer. You'll be happy if you do.
Marshall 1000x better than Crate.

Look who plays Marshall....pretty much every guitarist in the last 50 years... Hendrix, ACDC, Zepp, Skynyrd, Zakk.,,,

Jim Marshall knows what hes doing!

Granted, your not gonna get legendary tone with an amp under $1000 however, my advice to you would be to save your pennies and get a good amp rather than buy a cheap one and then 3 months later want another and try to trade it back in and only get 1/2 of what u originally paid.

Plus... solid state amps are horrible. They sound decent a low volume but turn it up and it soulds like crap.

Know why tube amps are expensive????? Cause they are worth it!
My stuff:
05 Zakk Wylde Custom LP
99 PRS CE-22 Honeyburst
01 PRS CE-22 Amber
96 Joe Perry LP
80 LP Custom
07 Robert Clay Strat
86 Ibanez USA Custom
39 Martin 000-18
5150 2x12 Combo
Genz Benz Diablo Combo
Zakk Wylde MG 15
Last edited by hartagram at Oct 8, 2007,
a companies reputation shouldn't define its products.

the MG series is horrible. stick with what you have, or save up more for a nice small tube amp.
Quote by hartagram

Look who plays Marshall....pretty much every guitarist in the last 50 years... Hendrix, ACDC, Zepp, Skynyrd, Zakk.,,,

Granted, your not gonna get legendary tone with an amp under $1000 however, my advice to you would be to save your pennies and get a good amp rather than buy a cheap one and then 3 months later want another and try to trade it back in and only get 1/2 of what u originally paid.

The MG is not a Marshall. The only thing it has in common with the amps famous people use is the name. On the other hand, although Crate have some bad amps, they have some good ones too.
Quote by hartagram

Plus... solid state amps are horrible. They sound decent a low volume but turn it up and it soulds like crap.

[/failure]

The MG is a chronically bad amp, the Marshall name on the front does nothing to change that.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
if your willing to spend 380$ on zzounds.com you can get a kick ass kustom quad 100 dfx. it's a real steal for the price. my friend has it and i love it!( even though my new vox is better!! )
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
the mg marshalls are'nt bad, i've ownd a mg30dfx for over a year now, and it's really good pratice amp.(imo- a little overpriced though)
GUITARS:
Fender Strat w/ Seymour duncans
Agile Explorer w, SD livewire metal
Fender Telecaster w/ hot rail

PEDALBOARD:
Boss chromatic tuner
Ibanez weeping demon
*Digitech Whammy*
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by hartagram

This post is so shallow its not even funny.

But anyway, stay away from MG and solid state crates. If I were you I would go for a crate Palomino 5w. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Palomino-V8-Class-A-Tube-Combo-Amp?sku=487825 It fits your budget and music style perfectly.

But If you need somthing loud enough for gigs/band practice just keep saving.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
ok man first im ganna answer your question and then give you my opinion on what you should get for your price range

first the marshall beats the crate hands down especially with that FDD button thing which i dont what it stands for but it makes it sound bettor i played them both at GC for 20 min each and the marshall won.

second dont get the marshall because there is a bettor amp out there for the money you have. namely the valvetronix VOX amp the mistake i did was get the marshall just because of the name because **** its a marshall but on another occasion i went back to the store to get another guitar and i saw the valvetronix and played it and i was ****ing amazed with all the sht it could do 11 amp models and two channels for you to save and plus it sounded bettor that the marshall, so what i did was drive back to my house got the marshall put it back in its box and drove back like a mad dog to get the VOX. It sounds alright at low volumes but cranck that ****er up and sht youll be blown away. so take my advice and get the VALVETRONIX VOX, i have the ad50vt and, but you could get the the 30 watter and its still pretty ****ing loud more than enough for home or even a and maybe enough for a gig im not sure.

and man dont just buy the gear because of the ****ing name.
I want to be able to have band practice with it though?
Fortunes heights singer and guitarists
Quote by hartagram

Yah this guy is a moron like i said before the marshall mg's are just a marketing ploy they are just sellijng a name, they really suck compared to other amps in theyre range
Quote by nexhendrix
I want to be able to have band practice with it though?

my friend the vox will due or hell
what type of music do you play
mostly
Quote by steven seagull
[/failure]

The MG is a chronically bad amp, the Marshall name on the front does nothing to change that.

but the logo has an enormous mental effect for noobs. optical illusion???
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
The VOX Valvetronix 30watter is a beast. It has a speaker out jack, too so you can evenually run it to a cab once you save up enough money. But, personally, I'd go for the AD100V by VOX. Same amp as the one the-kid mentioned, but it's a 2x12, which is plenty for band practice and most gigs.
If you are in a band you will need a tube amp. The Crate will get you by for now, but you won't be satisfied with it very long. Save up some money for a tube combo. Please no MG. The Crate is much better, but still not good enough for people to pay to hear it. Old solid state Crate combos can be had used all day long for $50-150 USD. If your desparate for an amp buy an old one and save yourself some money for a better amp later. Good luck.
Quote by nexhendrix
i like to play hard rock(led zepplin, green day, ACDC)

Oh, how it hurts to see that in the middle of two of the greatest bands in history...

(Sorry, I had to)
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Out of all the people that hartagram listed, how many of them play on MG's? Zero. So come back whe you know what you're talking about. I have a Crate, but its the tube palomino. I've heard a lot of dodgy things abotu the ss Crate's. I love the Palomino's, so maybe check out the 5w or maybe even 15w palomino. But please, for everyoneon UG, stay away from the MG's.
Avenged Sevenfold. November 10, 2007
BB King. December 1, 2007
Metallica. November 9, 2008
Avenged Sevenfold. November 23, 2008