my friend has this amp, that has ((p.s Squire 42 watt))

6nobs

Volume

Gain

Master vol

Trebble

Middle

Bass

and for some reason when using a distortion effect, the regular volume nob is very sensitive to sound where as it sound horrid unless you have the volume set up just prefect no hair stray from it, is that common?? and some days when he goes to play it doesn't always sound good if you don't fool with the settings and the guitar is still in tune it has me stumped on how to help em lol
That amp is not 42 watts. 42 IN maybe, but probably only around 10-15 out. And it sounds to me like its just a crappy amp.
Quote by CJRocker
That amp is not 42 watts. 42 IN maybe, but probably only around 10-15 out. And it sounds to me like its just a crappy amp.

well it does say 42W on the back sticker, and its only 9 inch speaker, its made for blues and its at least 15 years old , Squire 15 was the model number

its only like that for distortion, and if things are slightly out of the perfect tuning it does better for some reason, like it sounds good but every so often you have to adjust things again to make it good again, not like a tube amp but its good for SS standards

just seems weird that its like that, as if you have pedal off, it makes an old rock star sound like its weird buh w/e not my amp but still intriguing
Quote by hardcoredarrell
well it does say 42W on the back sticker, and its only 9 inch speaker, its made for blues and its at least 15 years old , Squire 15 was the model number

its only like that for distortion, and if things are slightly out of the perfect tuning it does better for some reason, like it sounds good but every so often you have to adjust things again to make it good again, not like a tube amp but its good for SS standards

just seems weird that its like that, as if you have pedal off, it makes an old rock star sound like its weird buh w/e not my amp but still intriguing

Like I said, Its something crappy solid states seem to do. and if it says 42watts on the sticker on the back, that is intake wattage for sure. I bet it list the amps too on the same sticker.
Quote by CJRocker
Like I said, Its something crappy solid states seem to do. and if it says 42watts on the sticker on the back, that is intake wattage for sure. I bet it list the amps too on the same sticker.

I hear you, but all it says is 50/60 Hz (which is Hertz) and 42W, and of course it's not gona use all the watts unless you have it set right for when your playing, its low when nothings working according to my handy dandy Volt Meter, im pretty sure the amp takes Voltage for energy however all SS amps are lame, but they can do fairly decent sounds if painstakingly set up, I think its the speaker, doesn't play low sounds well at all espcially "Drop-B" oh well guess he needs new amp
Everything takes volts as power--110-120 of them in fact, if plugged into your home outlet. Volts are just a way of measuring electricity, but not electricity consumption. A 10W SS and a 50W Tube both take 120V of power. 60Hz is the frequency of the electricity and is the US standard (50Hz in EU i believe) and is mostly irrelevant.

42W is the maximum power consumption that amp can possibly use. Thats just input though. How many watts are used in the power stage are what matters, and on your amp I'd get tht's 15. My 100W amp is rated for 250W maximum input and 100W maximum output.

Sorry if im incorrect in any way or if you knew this already--just sounded like you didnt.
Quote by its irrelevant
Everything takes volts as power--110-120 of them in fact, if plugged into your home outlet. Volts are just a way of measuring electricity, but not electricity consumption. A 10W SS and a 50W Tube both take 120V of power. 60Hz is the frequency of the electricity and is the US standard (50Hz in EU i believe) and is mostly irrelevant.

42W is the maximum power consumption that amp can possibly use. Thats just input though. How many watts are used in the power stage are what matters, and on your amp I'd get tht's 15. My 100W amp is rated for 250W maximum input and 100W maximum output.

Sorry if im incorrect in any way or if you knew this already--just sounded like you didnt.

I kind of knew most of that information ,but just didnt think you could never get every single watt even if you had Drop-A tuning and max everything buh I never tried it with the Ohm meter :p

anywho, I suppose that the volume nob on the circuit has some problems as if you move it, it makes static noise as if you change a radio station suppose he could get a Valve King 112 to fix that
So squire made a tube amp?????? I don't know why an amp would have a master volume unless it was tube, its not SS is it?
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by V12prowler
So squire made a tube amp?????? I don't know why an amp would have a master volume unless it was tube, its not SS is it?

I believe its an SS amp, as it doesn't have a stand by switch, but it can get a fuzz type effect if you put the vol up and put gain up with lil mast vol for some reason, and that doesn't seem to go well with pedals, but you still need some vol and gain and mast vol to do metal, but it sounds okay with low output on pedal with high vol on amp I never really saw tubes in it when I took it apart
I've never heard of a SS amp with a master volume, i think the vox valvetronix have master volumes but those are hybrid and they have 1 tube.
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
Quote by V12prowler
I've never heard of a SS amp with a master volume, i think the vox valvetronix have master volumes but those are hybrid and they have 1 tube.

guess I could take it apart again, it does get REALLY loud very easily, lemme look
Quote by V12prowler

My Spider II had a channel and Master volume, so yes they do make them like that.
Quote by CJRocker
My Spider II had a channel and Master volume, so yes they do make them like that.

yeah knew it's not a tube amp =P, but it actually doesn't hum on his guitar or mine, although you can't put the vol past 1.9 or its bad, and mast vol past 5, even if pedal is low the amp just don't sound good past that number only for distortion although he is trying to plam heavey palm muting with it
Probably just your average Squier practice amp. I'd bet it's really similar to a Frontman.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
Quote by rafarquhar
Probably just your average Squier practice amp. I'd bet it's really similar to a Frontman.

most likely, shame his Dad tells him he don't need a better amp it's the player when what good is it if you play it right and get not so hot sound
Quote by V12prowler

MG50DFX and MG100DFX have master volume switches
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI