I have Reaper and when i use its built in distortion it sounds like crap. I was wondering if there was a way i could run my guitar through my amp and then into the comp to get that distortion.

If anyone is familiar with that or a better recording program please help.
I'm Tyler
Get a Direct Injection box.

You can also use a pedal as sort of a ghetto DI box, or so I'm told.
I didn't get good results doing it that way. You should probably use a DI, like you say . Some people swear by the Line 6 stuff, but I have never used it.

Of course, you could also mic the amp. If you know what you're doing, that is certainly the best way (in my opinion anyway)
There is poetry in despair.
Quote by sargasm
Get a Direct Injection box.

You can also use a pedal as sort of a ghetto DI box, or so I'm told.

Nope.

Pedals are analogue and therefore don't convert the signal to digital.

And the reason for this is because amplifiers are also analogue.
He did say ghetto....

You can use a pedal on the input, but you hardly get a usable signal and it sounds like absolute garbage.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Nope.

Pedals are analogue and therefore don't convert the signal to digital.

And the reason for this is because amplifiers are also analogue.

I'm just repeating what I heard, from my Digital Sound and Music instructor.

He might have been talking about something completely different and I just wasn't paying attention. This is actually quite likely.

Isn't the purpose of a DI box simply to make the signal line-level?
Though I have not used reaper, it does have vst support, so you can add loads of plug ins for effects and instruments. check out http://www.sadglad.com/freevstplugins6.html

also have a look at the native instruments guitar rig 3 demo, it totally rocks (you will need a decent soundcard/ASIO driver support tho) 12 different amp types (all the classics) and effects galore!!
Quote by sargasm
I'm just repeating what I heard, from my Digital Sound and Music instructor.

He might have been talking about something completely different and I just wasn't paying attention. This is actually quite likely.

Isn't the purpose of a DI box simply to make the signal line-level?

Yes, they're not intended for D/A conversion. That's what the soundcard's for. Otherwise loads of people on this site could just get away with a DI box for their recording gear.
guitar rig 3...you could probably pick up guitar rig 2 for cheaper...with a cheap mbox should run you in between 550 and 700 bucks all together.....that's really one of the best programs you could buy...
i started out with amplitube...that's a pretty cheap one...think you could get a copy for like 60 or 70 bucks...
After having guitar rig tho...i can't imagine having anything else...not even an amp...i'd just pull a kmfdm and hook my dell up on stage with sounds like these...
it's literally thousands of differant settings and dozens of differant amps and effects...saving you thousands of dollars and lots of space
worth the investment if you're serious about your music or guitar...can't recommend it enough