I've been wondering which would be better for me. I'm in a 3 piece band where I sing and play bass, we play like the Tragically Hip. Your opinion is appreciated.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
jazz bass
♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪♫♪♪

Quote by Rune Playaz
I vote thycrusader for 'The guy who hit the nail on the head'

Quote by Emilyyy.
thycrusader = Thigh_Crusader
Jazz. More versitale
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
I play both equally. Try one of each out, and see which one you like more.
Quote by musicianamedave
I tell them that I'm happy with my current church, the church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Then I ask them if they would like to be touched by his noodly appendage.

Quote by filthandfury

YES.
Like a russian doll, with balls.

I love The Pit.
OK, now my only problem is finding a lefty.

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Jazz Bass. The most you have to do is change pickups, strings or the bridge and your set. Hell I use one for playing stuff like Slayer and Metallica and it is perfect. ONly thing I did was put some Quarters Pounders and it was perfect.

But your bass so go test them both. You can't get the MIM P-Bass. This coming from a lefty myself.
The clock strikes midnight
When tomorrow and today collide
The moon is at its highest
And the twilight seems fitting
For in these moments
The light at the end of the world
Shines like a thousand suns....

Victor Gutierrez
Jazz son! The P-bass is nice, but the jazz is nicer. With GHS Flatwounds, it's incredible.
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Oh cool I have GHS flatwounds somewhere in my room!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
JAZZ BASS!!!!!! JAZZ BASS!!!!

Haha...... go get a jazz bass Its just the best bass ever. Its really standard but its huge in sound and look.

Jazz bass..... jazz bass
Last edited by Daniel333 at Oct 9, 2007,
Quote by Flea_Is_God
can someone explain why precisions have any prestige?

The Precision Bass was the first born bass child of Leo Fender. The split humbucker tone was a fundamental bass sound of the late 50s / 1960s. Its the bass that laid the foundation for Stax (think Duck Dunn) and Motown (James Jamerson played a '62 P Bass, that was stolen before his death). It also still is a preferred bass for alternative and punk music.

I happen to love the Precision bass sound, and since I play a decent amount of R&B and soul bass, it has a place in my collection.
Quote by Flea_Is_God
can someone explain why precisions have any prestige?

!!!!!!

P's are great basses, for ages I didn't understand their worship. But after playing them in a band conext it's all obvious to me.

They own, old school funk, reggae, classic rock, the tone is at home anywhere.

TS, try them out
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
It's a shame there's not as many Precision fans on here, we seem to be greatly outnumbered.

I love my P-Bass, yes it could be more versatile, but as forcemaster said, the tones it does do will fit in anywhere, I've played stuff from metal to jazz and my P-Bass has always seemed right at home.

Try them both out and don't just rule the P-Bass out of the equation straight away, you may find you prefer the sound and feel to that of the Jazz.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
It's a shame there's not as many Precision fans on here, we seem to be greatly outnumbered.

I love my P-Bass, yes it could be more versatile, but as forcemaster said, the tones it does do will fit in anywhere, I've played stuff from metal to jazz and my P-Bass has always seemed right at home.

Try them both out and don't just rule the P-Bass out of the equation straight away, you may find you prefer the sound and feel to that of the Jazz.

Absolutely. I'm a huge P fan, even though I'm currently playing a J bass. P's are absolutely awesome... but Jazz fans are invariably much more vocal about their bass of choice.

I have to admit that for a Peppers-esque sound, the Jazz will nail it much better than the P, but as indie-bassist says, try both. The Jazz has more tonal variation, but the P has a tone that will be at home almost anywhere, which I find evens the score.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Quote by Tallman
PJ > J > P

/thread.

No way bro, the combos give u a mediocre P and J tone imo. P's are great, but I wouldnt trade my MIA Jazz for your momma!!
Quote by Tallman
PJ > J > P

/thread.

No. I find PJs to be very "up to taste." I personally hate them. I think the best tone of a jazz comes from the blending of the neck AND the bridge. Not one or the other.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
No. I find PJs to be very "up to taste." I personally hate them. I think the best tone of a jazz comes from the blending of the neck AND the bridge. Not one or the other.

+1000
Quote by Caustic
... but Jazz fans are invariably much more vocal about their bass of choice.

...perhaps because P-bassers are more assured and self-confident? lol

Meh...it's your cash TS, spend it how you will.

Yoink! Ninja thread assassin strikes again.
Last edited by creepingjesus73 at Oct 11, 2007,