No, you read the thread title right. I'm sure there are some bands out there experimenting with this, but I've never heard of it before. And if I'm a total n00b and there's a thread about this on the next page, I apologize.

But anyway, if it's never really been done before.. wouldn't it be epic? Picture, like a Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford scream over this riff that's chill and heavy at the same time...

so, genius idea or dumbass idea?
Cryptorchid Chipmunk.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
i always wanted to somehow mix ska and metal since i love both.

folly kind of tries to mix ska with metalcore but the ska parts sound forced and the metalcore parts are way too generic.

it would be amazing though. like a growl over some upbeat ska riffs.
if you've heard the rx bandits cover of holy wars by megadeth, it's kinda sorta like that. good cover though
There are two bands that have done a little something like this that I know of. The first is Mephiskapheles which is like satanic ska jazz with some elements of metal. They broke up a while ago (I found out from the lead singer of the Toasters ) and they don't make their CD's anymore. The second band is Le Scrawl. They have some ska jazz parts then song suddenly goes into distorted guitar with really guttural vocals. Check out the CD Eager to Please, its probably the best example of their "ska metal."
I really, really, really hope there is no such thing as this "ska metal"

It will be a sad day when there is.
Quote by tarlkea
When I say offensive I mean offensive like dressing up as superman in a wheel chair offensive, not penis suit offensive.
Quote by Napalmdeth
some things shouldent be mixed

Amen. No offense, but, they just shouldn't go together.
Me and some friends did that a few weeks ago. 'Twas fun, hard rock could learn alot from ska.

EDIT: We didn't write songs though, just played some heavily distorted shreds over ska chords with a bright tone.
Dickless.
Quote by Teh Forest King
I really, really, really hope there is no such thing as this "ska metal"

It will be a sad day when there is.

+1
Quote by Karl Sanders
its like a four finger, diminished thingy
whats that one band
a million ernies?? right? i think its something like that
MEtal ska... they scream and **** and they got the horns and the heavy guitars
pringles was originally going to be a tennis ball company

having a penis is like having a friend who always wants to play
i lied its a billion ernies
search them
Ska metal for yoo
pringles was originally going to be a tennis ball company

having a penis is like having a friend who always wants to play
So this is what metal is evolving into...

What has the disassociated youth become? Blending metal with horrible wanna be Bob Marley, is just a horrid idea.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
none of y'all have ever heard of Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, or any of the Crack Steady 7 bands?
and any fool that is upholding the "purity" metal is a brainwashed xenophobe.
music evolves. thats the greatest thing about it.
Music does evolve. It evolved into emo. That turned out great yeah? Ska and metal? I'm sorry but that is a horrible combination.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
ninjaspy kind of reminds me a little of a harder less random/experimental/Godly Mr Bungle. I actually kind of like what I'm hearing. Not really metal though. More Hardcore.

Btw, Mr. Bungle > all of you people who hate ska.
woah it´s cool hm maybe i should consider taking some elements into my music
Proud Member of UG´s HATECREW and the Tool Thread Biznitches

also proud member of the Jennerweinschützen Siegensdorf
Quote by King ofKumbucha

Btw, Mr. Bungle > all of you people who hate ska.

+1
even thought Mr.Bungle is not ska
Careful guys, don't want any new ideas mixed in with your KVLT TROO BRUUTAL METTLE. Pussies.

(aimed at Teh Forest King, Napalmdeth and any other closed-minded fag)

And +10,000 for Mr. Bungle or anything Mike Patton is involved in.
Quote by i have to pee
Music does evolve. It evolved into emo. That turned out great yeah? Ska and metal? I'm sorry but that is a horrible combination.

It also evolved into metal, asshole. And punk, and ska, and rap, and pop, and country. Just becasue you can name one bad genre does not mean that evolution is bad.
Dickless.
Quote by MetalMilitia212
It also evolved into metal, asshole. And punk, and ska, and rap, and pop, and country. Just becasue you can name one bad genre does not mean that evolution is bad.

exactly. what were the two main influences in the development of metal? blues and classical, two genres with quite dissimilar roots.
Quote by rockybo
Careful guys, don't want any new ideas mixed in with your KVLT TROO BRUUTAL METTLE. Pussies.

(aimed at Teh Forest King, Napalmdeth and any other closed-minded fag)

And you certainly are a better person for having your "mind" open to everything.

Just because this style of music does not appeal to them it does not make them pussies and close minded fags. You need to get off your pretentious high horse.

Pussy.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Quote by Tapping_Ninja
What is Ska? I keep hearing about it, but never seen any real defintion...

It's kind of a broad genre, I think. It was originally reggae kind of stuff I think; there's 3 waves, the latest being a sort of pop-punk using a horn section, usually upbeat sounding and danceable (especially by "skanking," a particular type of 'dance' done at ska shows). I'm sure someone else can link to the wiki article or give a better definition.

And yeah, after I saw a ska show a few weeks ago I wondered how it would sound mixed with metal. I didn't think there would be a band actually doing it though.
I'm gonna second A Billion Ernies. Not quite metal, more like ska/metalcore. Imagine ska with heavy breakdowns and very good metalcore style screaming. Might be along the lines of what youre looking for?
Quote by las7
+1
even thought Mr.Bungle is not ska

Yeah I know they aren't ska but quite a few songs on their self titled had ska influence/sections.
I have a split of 2 czech bands and one of them - Sheeva Yoga - is grindcore/powerviolence with ska and jazz sections. I call them Grind Ska. They're pretty obscure though ...
Feel the fire of barbecue
Burning in the hell
Everybody's gonna bring
A lot of beers and meat

MASSACRATION!!!
since when do rob halford and bruce dickinson scream? anyway, that is a pretty stupid idea.
Quote by MetalMilitia212

I think he knows it evolved into metal and those other genres. Also, he didn't say evolution was bad, he just said that if it were to involve metal and ska, it wouldn't work very well.
I've found Jesus
Quote by King ofKumbucha
ninjaspy kind of reminds me a little of a harder less random/experimental/Godly Mr Bungle. I actually kind of like what I'm hearing. Not really metal though. More Hardcore.

Hmm yeah actually I'd agree...it's definetly is more hardcore/ska i suppose. I still enjoy them greatly though, pretty good bass player they have to.