Ok so I finally saved up some money ($500) and want to get a new amp (modeling). What would you guys recommend for me?? I was thinking about a Flextone or a VOX. Im not sure though. I play mostly rock and metal (from Led Zeppelin to Children of Bodom) So any suggestions what should i get??
"Its not how many years you are playing its how many hours"
Try some out, but if you really want moddeling, the Line6 Flextone is a good choice.
all the world's indeed a stage and we are merely players
Why don't you just spend that 500 bucks on an amp that the modeling amps try to model?
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you play only a few different types of music...why would you want a modeling amp? With $500, buy a good tube amp and you'll be much better off tonewise. That being said, if you *must* have a modeling amp, the Flextone is a good amp and so is the Vox and also Roland Cubes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i have a line 6 flextone, i love it....there are sound samples of it on my dmusic doing different tones

magnumman.dmusic.com if you wanna listen, i think it is a very versatile amp
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
also, all of the sound samples are in a separate folder and every other song on there, and in the profile on this website were done with that amp with the exception of "Pitter Patter Bitch" which i used my friends mesa boogie tremoverb halfstack
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

I guess if it HAS to be moddeling, get the flextone.
Just stay the crap away from the spiders.
Oh lordy.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
If you must have modeling Flextone or Vetta. If I were you I'd get a modeling pedal and a decent tube combo. That way if you get unenthused about modeling later you will still have a good amp.
Quote by uldhppi
If you must have modeling Flextone or Vetta. If I were you I'd get a modeling pedal and a decent tube combo. That way if you get unenthused about modeling later you will still have a good amp.

i dont think the vetta is worth it, way too overpriced, plus the flextone uses the exact same technology as the vetta, it just as less features...but 32 amps and 16 cab models are enough for me, and i think prob enough for anyone one this site

if you have enough cash to get the vetta just buy a really nice tube amp
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Tube Combo + Axl Multi-FX. or a Boss GE-50 maybe. I wouldnt want to get a modelling amp, but if u do, get a Vox AD100 Head and Cab, or a Line 6 Flextone or Vetta.
Quote by GuitarJunkie
i dont think the vetta is worth it, way too overpriced, plus the flextone uses the exact same technology as the vetta, it just as less features...but 32 amps and 16 cab models are enough for me, and i think prob enough for anyone one this site

Can't disagree with any of that.
Quote by uldhppi
Can't disagree with any of that.

why thank you...oh and i also wrote a review of the flextone for this site about a year or so ago, pretty sure it's still there if you search for it

EDIT: If anyone couldnt tell, i love my flextone like a first born son
Quote by Jack Off Jill

yah man get the valvetronix
either the cheaper advt line or the newer XL line
personoly i like the older model modeler
and if you do get the valvetronix get the ad50vt 212 and if you could cough up a bit more then why the **** not get the 100 watter
The Flextone smokes the Valvetronix. The VT is closer to a Spider (not saying the Spider is as good) IMO. The Vetta is like a Flextone, but more so to speak. I feel it can do more, but you're going to be hard pressed to find even a used Vetta I in your budget.
Quote by GuitarJunkie

I'm about 3:1 on agreeing with you on this one.

I got a Roadking for $1,700 which is the price of a new Vetta II, but, you gotta buy the floorboard and either a Line 6 Cab for optimal use, or the combo Vetta, which puts the Vetta over the price of a used Roadking.

The roadking is a very versatile amp, not nearly as versatile as the Vetta. The time's I've played the vetta, I've spend hours upon hours flipping through the amps alone, mixing and matching, finding a good tone after good tone. I started playing with the effects, still getting more cool tones.

My concerns with the Vettas are as follows:
1. Enormous power rating, 300watts is too much for a 2x12 cab.
2. The high gain settings sound a little fizzly. If you download a patch for it it will clear it up a lot and improve the tone greatly
3. Line 6 always tries to sell you 10 other things with each product (buy the vetta and have an unlimited number of options with the Variax, and acheive perfect tone with the Line 6 4x12 cab...all that BS)
4. Vetta II's are getting a little old...Vetta III anyone?

If you're considering a Vetta, make sure you try it out first. I can not stress that enough for a solid state amp of that price. Tube amps of that price you can't really go wrong, but still I would highly recommend trying it out as well.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Hmmm I went to Guitar Center yesterday and tried out the Valvetronix, its much better than my old Spider but when i tried out the new Flextone i need to say that thing rocks!! 32 amp models and lots of effects. So yea now I know what to get :P
"Its not how many years you are playing its how many hours"
Quote by MESAexplorer
I'm about 3:1 on agreeing with you on this one.

I got a Roadking for $1,700 which is the price of a new Vetta II, but, you gotta buy the floorboard and either a Line 6 Cab for optimal use, or the combo Vetta, which puts the Vetta over the price of a used Roadking.

The roadking is a very versatile amp, not nearly as versatile as the Vetta. The time's I've played the vetta, I've spend hours upon hours flipping through the amps alone, mixing and matching, finding a good tone after good tone. I started playing with the effects, still getting more cool tones.

My concerns with the Vettas are as follows:
1. Enormous power rating, 300watts is too much for a 2x12 cab.
2. The high gain settings sound a little fizzly. If you download a patch for it it will clear it up a lot and improve the tone greatly
3. Line 6 always tries to sell you 10 other things with each product (buy the vetta and have an unlimited number of options with the Variax, and acheive perfect tone with the Line 6 4x12 cab...all that BS)
4. Vetta II's are getting a little old...Vetta III anyone?

If you're considering a Vetta, make sure you try it out first. I can not stress that enough for a solid state amp of that price. Tube amps of that price you can't really go wrong, but still I would highly recommend trying it out as well.

i kind of agree...i think a vetta is worth it if you really into recording and need lots of options for the studio. The Flextone definately can not compare to the Vetta in that respect, but as far as bedroom practice and small gigs though, I think the Flextone would be a better choice. Plus he only has 500 bucks. Im not sure what the price of a flextone is now, but i got mine for about 525 and that was when sam ash was having a "spend 400 bucks and get 100 bucks back" deal that weekend, so if i were to order it offline i would have payed aboout 625 for it. But that was about two years ago, so i imagine there has been a price drop on it since.

EDIT: i was wrong, on musicians friend it still retails for 600, which i think is a little much considering how old it is. But if you go to a store like GC or sam ash you could prob get it down to less than that.

also, i love the road king, i think that is THE most versatile tube amp today, with the exception of the new marshall, but i have yet to try it, the JVM i think its called, it looks like it has a lot of potential but i dont have any first hand experiences with it so i can neither applaud it or call it an overprices POS. but it looks good, haha.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Last edited by GuitarJunkie at Oct 9, 2007,
you should look into a valveking and if you want different sounds just get the pedals you need
Quote by assclown123
you should look into a valveking and if you want different sounds just get the pedals you need

yeah, you can get good sounds with just the amp, but those have to be dead on perfect , but when you use a pedal, use very lilttle pedal and mostly amp and put vol output on low on pedal and can put high on amp to get that good sound at low volume
My friends like the Peavey Valve King 112 was an practice amp, if you pay for say a Peavey Valve King 212, you may want to get something else, but the 112 is a good deal, however most people do not know how to make amps sound good for some reason, but if you play with it for a while you'll understand it the Peavey Valve King 112 is only $430