When I used to take guitar lessonz, my guitar teacher would show me the basic C chord, and then do totally different variations of it, like bar chords, higher, lower, ect.
Unfortunatly, I never asked her how to do that.
So now I'll ask you.

How do you tell what a chord is from the notes, how do I make custom chords (like the G chord spanning only on 3 frets)?

Thnx
That's some handsome meat.
I too can help. Just ask. PM me if you want, it doesnt matter.
If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
Take the root note, add it's fifth, then either it's major or minor third based on what key it's it.

C minor's notes would be C, the root, G the fifth, and Eb the minor third. All Cm chords will have those three notes in them, in different places, and in different orders, but you have to know some theory to be able to make chord shapes up.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
if you know your major scale, the general formuala for a major chord, in order from low e to high e is 1-5-1-3-5-1, and a minor is just a flattened 3. So technically, as long as you have a 1, 5, 3, and different octaves of each thrown in anywhere, you have yourself a major chord. In G-major the 1=G 3=b and 5=D you can play a gmajor chord anywhere on the neck as long as you play within those three notes.
Mesa Lonestar Special
Traynor YCV40WR
Ibanez -Artcore AS103BM
Fender American Deluxe Strat
Analog Man ARDX20 Dual Delay
Red Witch Empress Chorus
Big Muff Pi
Boss BD-2
MXR '76 RI Dynacomp
Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah
Jetter Jetdrive
EHX POG