Anyone have any recommended listenings of Joe Satriani and/or Steve Vai? I'm looking for personal favorites, they signature/most-famous works, awesome solos, and maybe they're best hits on the charts. I would prefer a reason why you recommend it. Thank you.
Crystal Planet and Strange Beautiful Music are (imo) two of Satriani's best albums. They both show how much talent and variety he can put into a single album.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
Theres a video on youtube of Vai and a triple neck....I think hes doing a song called "I know youre here." Its a G3 performance, and its amazing.
If I could Fly-Satch

For the Love of God-Vai
Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.
Bad Horsie- Vai
For the Love of God- Vai
Ice 9- Satch
Satch Boogie- Satch
Quote by Dog454
Zakk Wylde is a Viking, and history has proven that you cannot own Vikings, it's impossible.

POKER..UG
Surfing with the Alien is an amazing song.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Satriani:

Biggest Hits:
Surfing with the Alien - Just a fun, fun song, has a great groove and a unique sound.
Always With Me Always With You: A great ballad. Is very lyrical, emotional, and catchy - perfect for a Satriani song, and has some great playing to boot. One of his best ever.
Satch Boogie - It takes a while to get used to, because it's the most popular un-representative Satriani song ever and most listen to it and interpret him as just some nutso shredder, but it should be easy to get used to after a couple of listens and is just a great hard-rock boogie, and fun as hell to play. Not to mention the schizophrenic chill section after the solo's over.
Summer Song - A more matured version of Surfing, essentially. I actually prefer it. Really well structured, he's just a fantastic pop writer, it's a wonder why you wouldn't ever hear it on the radio.
Flying in a Blue Dream: A great song - sort of a dream-like rock quality, with one of his greatest solos recorded. Just everything fits together so nicely.
The Extremist - A great song, with some very cool heavy blues-rock riffing, and two harmonica solos! The guitar solo in the middle travels more exotic territory, and all-in-all it's a favourite.
Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing - A catchy little rocker in the veins of a slower Surfing, with a decent solo, but the real knocker is the chorus melody. Crazy legatoed arpeggios, you have to see it to believe it. Always a real crowd-pleaser.

Notable Favourites and Others:
If I Could Fly - Amongst his greatest songs, no doubt. Perfectly captures the array of emotions, has some great catchy and expressive melodies, and a great 3 minute Freebird-esque outro solo. It just sucks you into the feeling.
War - A full-bred metal song. Great metal riffs and whammy-bar'd harmonic minor melodies, it sets this epic soundscape of marching off to war under the desert sun, with shrill war cries heard in the distance. A great acheivement for him.
Cool #9 - Sort of an off-the wall jazz song, with an infectuous groove, weird guitar effects, and some simply crazy soloing.
Devil's Slide - A psycho, heavy, electronica-esque song, with drums exploding like shrapnel, melodies sneering in like snakes, with quite possibly his most blazingly fast solo ever.
Starry Night - A slower, reflective song, with a perfectly restrained melody that mixes in with the country-influenced rhythm section. Very soulful, but still fairly energetic.
Crushing Day - A heavy song with sort of a mock-metal quality, has some great melodies, but is most noted for the ridiculous solo - a favourite amongst fans.
The Forgotten Part 2 - A slow, crushingly sad song, and contains all of the qualities that a good Satriani song makes.
Day at the Beach - Often shunned by it's doppelganger, Midnight, this song is one of his best. Played using the two-handed tapping technique he uses, you just need to sit back and relax, and soon enough you'll think you're on a beach. Really peaceful.
Time - One of his best songs he's ever written. A really powerful, cosmic song with some great melodies. Pretty unusual as far as Satriani songs go.
Clouds Race Across The Sky - An extremely chill song. In Lydian, it pretty much captures the feeling perfectly, and the palm-muted legato when this great solo kicks in just sends chills.
Down, Down, Down and Saying Goodbye - Just if you really want to get depressed!

The albums Surfing with the Alien or The Extremist are good shorter albums to start with, but the Anthology is actually a very good collection to start with, with plenty of hits and more obscure ones too.

How's that for comprehensive? XD Unfortunately I know next to nothing about Vai's full catalogue...I have Passion and Warfare, and Alien Love Secrets, and they're both good...
Quote by wasp2020
Satriani:

Biggest Hits:
Surfing with the Alien - Just a fun, fun song, has a great groove and a unique sound.
Always With Me Always With You: A great ballad. Is very lyrical, emotional, and catchy - perfect for a Satriani song, and has some great playing to boot. One of his best ever.
Satch Boogie - It takes a while to get used to, because it's the most popular un-representative Satriani song ever and most listen to it and interpret him as just some nutso shredder, but it should be easy to get used to after a couple of listens and is just a great hard-rock boogie, and fun as hell to play. Not to mention the schizophrenic chill section after the solo's over.
Summer Song - A more matured version of Surfing, essentially. I actually prefer it. Really well structured, he's just a fantastic pop writer, it's a wonder why you wouldn't ever hear it on the radio.
Flying in a Blue Dream: A great song - sort of a dream-like rock quality, with one of his greatest solos recorded. Just everything fits together so nicely.
The Extremist - A great song, with some very cool heavy blues-rock riffing, and two harmonica solos! The guitar solo in the middle travels more exotic territory, and all-in-all it's a favourite.
Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing - A catchy little rocker in the veins of a slower Surfing, with a decent solo, but the real knocker is the chorus melody. Crazy legatoed arpeggios, you have to see it to believe it. Always a real crowd-pleaser.

Notable Favourites and Others:
If I Could Fly - Amongst his greatest songs, no doubt. Perfectly captures the array of emotions, has some great catchy and expressive melodies, and a great 3 minute Freebird-esque outro solo. It just sucks you into the feeling.
War - A full-bred metal song. Great metal riffs and whammy-bar'd harmonic minor melodies, it sets this epic soundscape of marching off to war under the desert sun, with shrill war cries heard in the distance. A great acheivement for him.
Cool #9 - Sort of an off-the wall jazz song, with an infectuous groove, weird guitar effects, and some simply crazy soloing.
Devil's Slide - A psycho, heavy, electronica-esque song, with drums exploding like shrapnel, melodies sneering in like snakes, with quite possibly his most blazingly fast solo ever.
Starry Night - A slower, reflective song, with a perfectly restrained melody that mixes in with the country-influenced rhythm section. Very soulful, but still fairly energetic.
Crushing Day - A heavy song with sort of a mock-metal quality, has some great melodies, but is most noted for the ridiculous solo - a favourite amongst fans.
The Forgotten Part 2 - A slow, crushingly sad song, and contains all of the qualities that a good Satriani song makes.
Day at the Beach - Often shunned by it's doppelganger, Midnight, this song is one of his best. Played using the two-handed tapping technique he uses, you just need to sit back and relax, and soon enough you'll think you're on a beach. Really peaceful.
Time - One of his best songs he's ever written. A really powerful, cosmic song with some great melodies. Pretty unusual as far as Satriani songs go.
Clouds Race Across The Sky - An extremely chill song. In Lydian, it pretty much captures the feeling perfectly, and the palm-muted legato when this great solo kicks in just sends chills.
Down, Down, Down and Saying Goodbye - Just if you really want to get depressed!

The albums Surfing with the Alien or The Extremist are good shorter albums to start with, but the Anthology is actually a very good collection to start with, with plenty of hits and more obscure ones too.

How's that for comprehensive? XD Unfortunately I know next to nothing about Vai's full catalogue...I have Passion and Warfare, and Alien Love Secrets, and they're both good...

Thanks for the thorough list its really helpful and thanks for being such a kind person.
Searching from the G3 Tokyo DVD is an excellent Satch performance, took a mediocre studio track and turned it into an masterpiece.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Some songs on Flying in a blue dream by Satriani have vocals. For Vai, some songs off Fire garden have them. But dont ask me which songs cuz i dont know exactly and none of them are that good anyways, Neither of them are good singers
Vocal songs:

Satriani:

Big bad moon
Ride

Vai:

All about eve
Alive in an ultra world

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Big bad moon is too cheesy in my opinion.
Ok, Satch isn't a great singer but I like his song "I believe".

Personal favourites:

Satriani: Flying in a blue dream

Vai: For the love of God
The only singing songs from Satch I actually like are Look My way and I Like The Rain. But his singing songs are more or less just for novelty anyways.
Yeah, those two are the only ones I'm really big on. And I didn't think the studio version of searching was mediocre.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Summer Song- Satriani
Always with me, always with you- Satriani
Tender Surrender- Vai
Whispering a Prayer- Vai
D F O I N N T D
T W H O I R S D
Y O O R U
W S I U L C L K
A M S Y S

Quote by ScreamAim&Fire

Beautiful.
XxLloydxX for president!
Even though I'm english..

Want to hear Super Mario Bros Theme on electric rock guitar? SuperMarioBro
BuyMYMusic
SellMusic
Don't forget to listen this one

Love Thing - Joe Satriani
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Steve Vai best works in my opinion
Tender Surrender - Alien Love Secrets album
Dyin Day - Fire Garden album
Erotic Nightmares - Passion and Warfare Album(I recommend this whole album actually, it is amazing)
Blue Powder - Passion and Warfare Album
Lotus Feet - Real Illusions:Reflections Album
For the Love of God - Passion and Warfare Album
The Audience is Listening - Passion and Warfare Album( I think this is the best song to listen to first, really gives you the best intro to Vai, not too weird, and very catchy).
Quote by rizo299
"To: North Korea

Hey Kim DONG Il. Got nukes yet? DIDN'T THINK SO.

Here's some help with getting one built.

GOATSE.CX

Your pal Obama"

'Passion and Warfare' by Steve Vai and 'Surfing With The Alien' by Joe Satriani are the two best instrumental guitar albums ever.
Buckethead and John Petrucci got into a shred batte. Petrucci went into world domination mode and melted Buckethead's face off. That's why Buckethead wears a mask.
You're killing me to choose just a few songs, but I'll go for:

Steve Vai

Fire Garden Suite
For the Love of God
Tender Surrender
Sisters
The Audience is Listening
Hand on Heart
Lotus Feet
Windows to the Soul
Boston Rain Melody
Juice
Bad Horsie

Joe Satriani (best solos, not songs)

Surfing With The Alien
Love Thning
Satch Boogie
Cool #9
Flying In A Blue Dream
Summer Song
War
Always With Me, Always With You
The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing
Echo
Buckethead and John Petrucci got into a shred batte. Petrucci went into world domination mode and melted Buckethead's face off. That's why Buckethead wears a mask.
Last edited by 'Floods!' at Oct 28, 2007,
Steve Vai - Windows to the Soul

Steve Vai - Erotic Nightmares
Quote by thsrayas
Why did women get multiple orgasms instead of men? I want a river of semen flowing out of my room to mark my territory.

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere
- John Coltrane
Eat Em And Smile, Fire Garden and Passion And Warfare for Vai.

Surfing and The Extremist for Satch.