Hey folks,

I've got a question for you all about barre chords, I've been playing for about 2-3 months now and I'm finally getting to the point where I can pick up the guitar and play without getting overlly frustrated, (the muscle memory is starting to grow).

Anyways, the next thing I want to learn is/are Barre chords.

Now I get the theory but everytime I attempt them I can barre the strings IF I support my index finger with my middle finger. But when I attempt a barre chord like this:

it gets rather painful rather quickly, so the question is:

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal and as I get used to them it'll go away?

I'm attempting to play the above chord by barring with my index, using the pinky and ring to play a and d at the 5th, and ring to play the b.

Thanks in advance.
My Gear:

Guitar #1: 1997 Fender MIM Strat
Guitar #2: 2007 Epi SG (G-310)

Effects: Roland DS-1 Distortion (for switching in distortion quickly, NOT cause I want a "l33t brootalz tonz!")
Amp: Roland Microcube
You just need to practice more and get used to it, many beginners hold everything really hard and it leads to hand cramps etc. Just keep it up and try to stay relaxed, good luck
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Yeah, try to vary the amount of pressure you're applying with your index, to the bare minimum needed to make the notes sound out.

Also, if you feel flexible enough, try to focus the most pressure on the strings that aren't being fretted by the others. It can seem hard at first, but try your best to experiment until you find the most comfortable way to do things.
Every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you