Unfortunately, yes. Except this one is about MIDI.

Ok im too cheap to buy any drums software or anything of that nature, and i've tried Hydrogen and its mega confusing to me.

So what i've been doing is getting the drums from Guitar Pro through the export as MIDI option.

Cubase LE (which is what I have) has this drum synth or virtual drummer or whatever floats ur boat and it sounds a lot better than the basic windows MIDI stuff, so I make the Guitar Pro drums go through that MIDI.

The thing is that the drum synth has 3 different programs/settings/categorys (Cubase is on my laptop and im on my house computer and im too lazy to check) and it only lets you set one category and sometimes the drums that im trying to get the sound for has sounds that arent in one category.

For instance, I make three copies of the drum MIDI and i try to set each one to the 3 different categories, but whenever i change one, it changes all of them.
Like if i try to change one to compressor, they all go to compressor.

Is there any way to fix this? Thanks in advance.
If i didnt explain my self well enough please ask because i know jack-**** about MIDI...I've pretty much been winging it and expeirimenting to get this far, so yeah...
what you need to do is open a new instantiation of the instrument in the VST instrument window and when you select the midi output path it should give you the option of LM7 and also LM7 (2) something like that. you can have each instrument set to a different patch. you may not be able to get 3 seperate instruments as you have LE and that is one of the major limitations of the program i think it only has 2 VST instrument slots as opposed to the other versions.

VST Instrument Slots LE =2 SE=16 SL=32 SX=64

hope this helps mate.

if you get any spare dosh it might be worth upgrading your software, i use SX3 and from LE it makes a huge difference.
So you are tabbing drums in Guitar Pro, then exporting them as midi?

I have been tabbing the drums in guitar pro as well, then exporting them as a wav file, then when i import it in cubase i change the sound of it a little with the compression and EQ.

I am a total noob and am experimenting too.

So should i export as midi or wav?
Thanks for the replies.

To miggse, when i export as a wav in guitar pro, the sound of the wav is extremely low, barely audible. Idk, maybe im doing something wrong, but i have all my volumes turned up as high as possible, so thats why i export as midi.

To 1of1, how much did sx3 cost?
and did it come with anymore VST instruments other than the ones in LE?
and if i was to install a new Cubase such as sx3, would I still be able to work with all my files and stuff i have done with LE?

Thanks in advance
So this might seem stupid, but....

what is a midi? and should i be doing my drums the same way you import yours?
^ Trust me you dont want MIDI info from me, as all I know is from expeirimenting and the likes.
But since I was once oblivious to what MIDI is, as are you (since im assuming your just beggining to do recordings), and since no one could give me a straight answer, i'll help as best i can.

MIDI, in the most basic sense, is digital music. When you make MIDI files, you dont make sound, you make like a representation of whats being played. MIDI is put onto the recording software, by:
1) Physically 'drawing' every note that you want and for how long
or (and the way most people do it)
2) You get a MIDI keyboard, which is just like a regular keyboard but smaller, and each note is assigned a name which represents a sound. Like, 3g can mean him tom.

When putting midi in cubase (im assuming you have LE, if not they're all pretty much the same), its not going to have sound, becase to have sound you need to assign all the notes to a sound bank.
Now this is where i start to trail off b/c im not 100% sure about the different sound banks or how to get new ones, but o well...

Import a song into cubase from guitar pro as midi, mute all the instruments except for one. Play the file, no sound right? but the little bars show sound happening. If there is sound, then idk...
Click on the song file where the file name is, not where the actual 'sound waves' are if you can understand what im saying. When you click it, the record enable button lights up, so that should help you know what im talking about.

Look to the left where it says in:, out:, prg:, etc. Where it says in, it should say All MIDI inputs. Where it says out, click and you may or may not have some midi banks from your operating system. Most likely you do. It should say something like, Microsoft MIDI Mapper [Emulated]. Click that and thats a sound bank. Now when you play the file it should have sound, although a very bad sound because the Microsoft ones suck.

Tomorrow i'll tell you how to get a slightly better sound, because i have to go right now.

But if you all ready knew all this, o well... Someone could use this help someday.
If you didnt know all this, then good.
thanks!

nah i didnt know this, i will wait for you to tell me how to get good sounding ones then i will try it and compare it to the wav files i have imported.

Cheers!
^Glad i could help.

Now, i still dont know what Cubase you have so im just gonna go off of LE since thats what i got.

Ok i didnt really tell you how to actually get the MIDI in cubase, but maybe you figured it out...
Anyways, open up a new project (File > New Project) then click Empty for templates and OK for where ever you have it saved to.

Now go to File>Import>MIDI File...
'Do you want to create a new project?' - I usually click no, but whatever floats your boat.

Find the MIDI file, it should be under your Guitar Pro program file, and the extension should be '.mid'. Open it.
-Thats how you get it in-

Different MIDI events should come up, depending on how many tracks are in the song. If its just drums, ill get to that in a second.
Play around with setting the different events to different banks under the 'out:' setting i mentioned in my above post. Now, granted, you'll proboaly only have 2 which are the emulated ones, which sound like ass, but im getting to the good ones.

Ok after you've played around a bit, click on Devices on the very top toolbar.
Devices>VST Instruments (F11).
A dialog box should come up like in the picture (yes i have Vista, some people dont like, I do, sue me)

Click where it says No VST Instrument. Another dialog box should appear

Move your mouse over Drums and a little thing that shoots out to the side that says 'lm-7'.
Thats your virtual drums/drum synth. Click it. This should come up:

Click the'e'. This should come up:

Now your proboally wondering what the hell is going on...
Just follow me a little longer.

You see the little black pads/squares. Click them. OMG drum sound that doesnt sound as much like ass! Here is a soundbank that Cubase kindly gave to us.

Where it says 'Compressor', click the drop down arrow and you have '909' and 'Percussion', 2 more soundbanks from Cubase.

They each have different sounds and instruments used in them, so you may have to mix and match to get what sound your looking for, which is my next point.
(Also, 'incase you were wondering, i have no idea what the buttons 'R' and 'W' next to the drop down menu mean. Everything else like all the knobs and stuff are sound levels and what not, adjust to the way you want, i just leave it like it is.)

Select which bank you want, i like Compressor, then close the window.

Now heres where it gets tricky. Depending on how many different drum 'instruments' the MIDI file has, you may not get all of the sounds you should get.

What i ususally do (my most recent expierimentation) is to make two copies of the drums. Go back to VST Instruments and set the second one as drums too.
Now instead of say, Compressor, make it Percussion.
Now go to the 'out:' setting and you should see two new settings, lm-7 and lm-7 2. Set one drum as lm-7 and the other as lm-7 2.
Play the files and both files should be playing in unison with more sounds than just the one bank if you can understand what im saying.

Cubase LE only allows for 2 VST Instruments to play, where as the better Cubase's have more (16-64).
Now the other VST Instrument is the virtual bass. I havent really used it alot, but its the same concept as the drums.

Now these banks arent the best, but they are a hell of alot better than the emulated ones, but if you like importing wavs from Guitar Pro and you think it sounds better, by all means continue doing it.
I found all this out by expierimenting and trial and error...yeh it took a while. One of the advantages to using MIDI though is that Steinberg (the people that make Cubase) have a program called Groove Agent, which is like our chinky little virtual drummer, x10000. Its a hell of alot better and sounds alot better.
The most recent version is Groove Agent 3, which is $300. I dont have it beacuse i dont have the moola. However...you can get Groove Agent 2 for free, which is better than nothing, if you look hard enough (PM me and i can tell you)

Anyways, If you couldnt understnad what i was saying please ask, Im kinda bad at explaining, thats why i use pictures.
Last edited by jumi1174 at Oct 10, 2007,
Dude that sounds good, i will definately try it out over the next few days and let you know if i like the wav or midi better, by the sounds of it so far midi seems like it will produce a better sound!!

Thanks!
^Yeh MIDI (depending on what sound bank you use) will have a better sound than the Guitar Pro wavs.
But nothing can beat recording actual drums. But this is why i use this cuz i cant record live drums.