Page 1 of 2
Well i'm pretty sure my dad wants me to go to college, but i've got no idea what i'd have as my major. Also, i'm not incredibly smart(at least at math and that kinda stuff, i'm in 11th grade and only in geometry)

I'm kinda fed up with school right now, i get fairly good grades compared to some of my friends(all above c's usually, but i've got a few d's right now but they'll be c's by the semester), but i can't imagine surviving if college is much harder then high school.

Basically i don't ever want a boring desk job like my dad, he gets paid fairly well but it's really a mediocre job.

So should i go to college? or should i consider another career? maybe a trade school, i've got a cousin who's getting into heating/air condition repairing and stuff, and that seems like something i might be interested in.

Edit:also it would be cool to have time for my band as well, at least on weekends.
my gear:
Jackson DKMG(the one with EMG 81/85's)
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
old gear i'll probably sell eventually:
yamaha beginners guitar
gunmetal grey Fender squire strat
Fender 65R amp
go to college. You really don't need to know your major until junior year.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Yes. You will be qualified or more jobs = not standing on the street corner begging for change.

Basically i don't ever want a boring desk job like my dad, he gets paid fairly well but it's really a mediocre job.

with a college education your more likely to get a better job than that unless you want to do something more mediocre than that working at mcdonalds or doing crappy jobs
if i fail stuff in college aren't i screwed anyway?
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
if i fail stuff in college aren't i screwed anyway?

im gonig to college right now man is tough as hell. but if you dont go u probably will never come back to it and your more likely to get a betetr job it doesnt have to be 4 years it can be as a simple 2 year degree and you be making more than without the degree
I'm in a similar situation only I feel like school isn't worth my time because of how it's presented to kids.

I've considered a band...all them hours of guitar and NOT homework should go towards something!
go to music college, then itll be something your passionate about, and you'll still be able to get a good job.
my gear:
gibson les paul classic
epiphoen les paul standard
fender standard fat strat
peavey valveking 112
boss me-50
crybaby original wah
i heard you can make 50 bucks an hour doing air conditioning/heating career
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
College isn't for everyone, love, but atleast it's a safe bet for your future most of the time (provided that your major is also a safe bet)

On the one hand it is extremely monotonous to live your life on safe bets like that, on the other hand you can just do that part-time and use the rest of your time for other things (like your band, for example). Also like said you don't have to declare your major til the middle of your sophomore year so you can experiment with some classes and see what's for you.

That's all if you go the college route. I don't have much advice on the non-college route simply cause that's not the one I took, but don't feel like you have to go to college to succeed. Just find something that (1) you are good at and (2) brings in some money and then essentially you'll be able to survive.

Also, if you do end up going, try not to think that you're going for your dad. It's easy to get "fed up" in high school, but college is different, mostly cause of the money. Regardless of how it would be paid for (you didn't specify), it does cost a lot of money and time and you're going to regret screwing around and not getting anything out of it. Atleast put in some effort to graduate with a decent GPA and a good degree...
heard you can make 50 bucks an hour doing air conditioning/heating career
that may be true but it doesnt mean they get to work 8 hours a day they may do a job every so often because air conditioning is a pretty typical job
I wished I had a post-secondary education. I've got three kids in post-secondary and they agree that it's a load, but if you bite the bullet and take it in stride it will help you for the rest of your life. Just do an undergrad or something if you're not sure what you want to study, and if all else fails just take a general business course or something. Courses like that are useful no matter what field you go into. Trades are good but remember that it's pretty much the same job every single day, so if you get bored really easily or something then maybe its not for you. I worked a trade for a good twenty years and it was boring as hell, I mean nothing changes; you just wake go to the site, work, punch out, and collect your paycheck every couple of weeks. At least at a regular 'desk job' you can have some variety.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Quote by electricsnake
Well i'm pretty sure my dad wants me to go to college, but i've got no idea what i'd have as my major. Also, i'm not incredibly smart(at least at math and that kinda stuff, i'm in 11th grade and only in geometry)

I'm kinda fed up with school right now, i get fairly good grades compared to some of my friends(all above c's usually, but i've got a few d's right now but they'll be c's by the semester), but i can't imagine surviving if college is much harder then high school.

So should i go to college? or should i consider another career? maybe a trade school, i've got a cousin who's getting into heating/air condition repairing and stuff, and that seems like something i might be interested in.

Edit:also it would be cool to have time for my band as well, at least on weekends.

i was in your position not knowing what i wanted and my parents were like 'whatever but you cant do music' and went for a business degree which took 6 years because i hated it and couldnt apply myself and ended up leaving it and not finishing.

I should have done a music degree because i am working as a music teacher and performer and regret not having the education and qualification in music.

take a year out and travel..another of my regrets! good luck
Quote by jhjps
go to music college, then itll be something your passionate about, and you'll still be able to get a good job.
eh...how does a general music degree help you after college though? unless you want to teach music it's really a waste imo as far as your future is concerned
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Is it odd that I get an erection every time RageAgainst... posts?

President of "Colbert Nation "
eh...how does a general music degree help you after college though? unless you want to teach music it's really a waste imo as far as your future is concerned

i agree having a music degree is a nice thing to have but not many people look at in many careers unless is something very specialized
Quote by Sloopy
I wished I had a post-secondary education. I've got three kids in post-secondary and they agree that it's a load, but if you bite the bullet and take it in stride it will help you for the rest of your life. Just do an undergrad or something if you're not sure what you want to study, and if all else fails just take a general business course or something. Courses like that are useful no matter what field you go into. Trades are good but remember that it's pretty much the same job every single day, so if you get bored really easily or something then maybe its not for you. I worked a trade for a good twenty years and it was boring as hell, I mean nothing changes; you just wake go to the site, work, punch out, and collect your paycheck every couple of weeks. At least at a regular 'desk job' you can have some variety.

arrgh i would strongly disagree with this. i used to do 9-5 jobs with so many people with degrees that were non specific like a lawyer and they were earning crap money, had drink problems and were depressed and missed work a lot and also had ambitions but didnt have the guts to see them through.

I work for myself and would never go back to an office job..i couldnt take being a robot for 40 years, dealing with assholes and hating the going to work feeling.
Nowadays you can't do much of anything with only a high school diploma.

You kind of HAVE to go to college. Besides, you don't need to know your major until later in college.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by RageAgainst...

maybe if you were past school age you would understand that many degrees such as business studies are so general they have little relevance to the job you go for. I know many people in an office with art/music degrees with the same jobs as those with history or business degrees
go to college man is tough. you can do an easy job today but you never know in the future if you may keep that job because of technology developing so fast less people are require to do typical things and more specialization is needed. being specialized in something will help you, if you get fired there's some demand for your job and your not screwed completely liek some people that look for work for weeks .

when you go to college it doesnt mean you have to choose a degree inmediately you can choose typical class courses like math,english,science or anything that you wish they even have music classes. i know you said your not to good at math bu in college you can choose how low you want your class level to be so you can feel comfortable and study at a level you udnerstand and you are not completely overwhelmed
Definatley Go to College, You should check out WVU if you want to have an awesome time. we are ranked #1 in partying, top ten in football, and the morgantown music scene is pretty good. I had the same problem as you and went here on a wim. Best decision ever.
Quote by Ready2crashNbrn
Definatley Go to College, You should check out WVU if you want to have an awesome time. we are ranked #1 in partying, top ten in football, and the morgantown music scene is pretty good. I had the same problem as you and went here on a wim. Best decision ever.

i'll most likely go to a California university, probably berkley or maybe more southern depending on how far south i wanna go. My sister is going to Fresno but i wouldn't want to go to the same college as her(for some obvious reasons lol)
my gear:
b-52 AT 212 100 watt amp
yamaha beginners guitar
Fender 65R amp
Quote by zzany1
maybe if you were past school age you would understand that many degrees such as business studies are so general they have little relevance to the job you go for. I know many people in an office with art/music degrees with the same jobs as those with history or business degrees
maybe if you didn't come off as trying to be so condescending i'd consider listening to you...

what's the point of spending all the money college costs on a degree that you aren't going to put to use?
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Ignorance is bliss. Oedipus ruined a great sex life by asking too many questions.
Quote by Jack Off Jill

college is for posers.
"Where the Beatles wanted to hold your hand, the Stones wanted to fuck your sister or daughter"

My profile
Major in criminal justice at a community college. Easy, and it's criminal justice. How basass is that?
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by RageAgainst...

Ahhh man this the first time I must disagree with you. An education of any sort is yours forever. No one can take it from you. Yes it may be a poor return on investment but that is entirely up to the individual that is going to implement it.
TS yo're what 16-17 yrs old? Don't worry about it yet. You have a lot of time ahead of you to discover your true passions. I will say put some effort into your current school work. The shit ain't that hard. Math is like learning a second language thats all. It's not hard to learn if you understand that you are simply learning rules.
College is not for everyone. Neither are trade schools. All I know for sure is if you put no effort into your life no one will put any effort into you.
How does "Would you like fries with that order" sound?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by RageAgainst...
maybe if you didn't come off as trying to be so condescending i'd consider listening to you...

what's the point of spending all the money college costs on a degree that you aren't going to put to use?

funny i always think the same thing when i see you respond to every possible thread. where do you get the time to be on here all day!?!. Stick in at school kid...your obviously slacking.
Quote by Jackal58
Ahhh man this the first time I must disagree with you.

i guess it was bound to happen sooner or later...
Quote by Stephen Colbert
Quote by Jack Off Jill

Quote by electricsnake
i'll most likely go to a California university, probably berkley or maybe more southern depending on how far south i wanna go. My sister is going to Fresno but i wouldn't want to go to the same college as her(for some obvious reasons lol)

Yea WV is a little far if your from Cali. but definatley go, it is the best years of your life. Im staying for a fifth year.
Finish up high school and take your ACTs and SATs like you are prepping for college. That way if you change your mind about school you'll have all the preparations to apply in place.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
Quote by Jackal58
Ahhh man this the first time I must disagree with you. An education of any sort is yours forever. No one can take it from you. Yes it may be a poor return on investment but that is entirely up to the individual that is going to implement it.
TS yo're what 16-17 yrs old? Don't worry about it yet. You have a lot of time ahead of you to discover your true passions. I will say put some effort into your current school work. The shit ain't that hard. Math is like learning a second language thats all. It's not hard to learn if you understand that you are simply learning rules.
College is not for everyone. Neither are trade schools. All I know for sure is if you put no effort into your life no one will put any effort into you.
How does "Would you like fries with that order" sound?

this is quite true...obviously music is one of them if he is on this website. i know in my position at the moment i could make the same money $50000 ish if i had not done any higher education. if you are entrepreneurial you can make as good a living as anyone.

just dont be taken by peer pressure because you think college is what the 'smart people do' or what your parents say. if i listened to my parents i would still be in an office being a robot and having a life of misery.
i hear that man, dont we all wish it could work like that. but so many people are pursuing that job, its crazy. i dont even care about making good money. i just want to play my guitar in front of people and just be comfortable.
Music college dude. I'm gonan go to one.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
Quote by Roach5
i hear that man, dont we all wish it could work like that. but so many people are pursuing that job, its crazy. i dont even care about making good money. i just want to play my guitar in front of people and just be comfortable.

well im in the same boat but instead of being a hired gun i manage my band and do the hiring and take most of the profits. stressful having to employ people but the benifits are worth it.
College Looks boring too me, But I want to have a career in music or History.

I should be a History Teacher/Musician, Teach all winter and tour during the summers.
Quote by garrett5
College Looks boring too me, But I want to have a career in music or History.

I should be a History Teacher/Musician, Teach all winter and tour during the summers.

wow that would be widely different occupations lol. History teachers are notorious for being pedophiles.
Page 1 of 2