Alrighty, I'll start with what im looking for: A tube amp 30W - 50W that could be giged with, with a distortion channel that can sound pretty modern/heavy. I really dont care too much about effects on the amp itself besides a standard EQ and volume setup. Reverb would be nice, but not neccessary. I'm looking for a price under $1000 too, but i can stretch that a little

Heres my style and gear: I play genres from jeff beck-esque blues to heavy prog rock like muse, porcupine tree, rush etc but i never go as far as metal, thrash, hardcore etc. I play a paker nitefly with bridge and neck humbuckers for a good full sound, through a line 6 spider modeling combo amp that doesnt give me the tone i want at all. For effects i have a bad horsie wah and a zoom gfx-1 multi-effect pedal

What ive done: I've tried every fender i know exists. They all had beutiful cleans and reverbs but none of them seemed to get that good modern sound i want. the hot rod deluxe reissue was the best i could get, but didnt cut it. Ive tried several marshalls, which were great, but they were either way too expencive or too small to gig with.

Right now im looking at Peaveys, b52's and Vox but havent settled on anything. i want to try out the peavey valveking 212 but im not sure if that will do it. any suggestions?
Check out the Mesa Boogie Express series. They can do everything I've tried.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
JSX combo! lulz.
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
the valveking is aaaallright. distortion is a bit to heavy and solid state sounding for me.
Vox amps are pretty damn decent, but B52s have a very shaky reputation. some are good, but sometimes you get one and it'll crap out in the first week.
So im researching the mesa boogie express line right now. Ive come apon the 5:50 and ran into this:

* One power amp tube in Class A (single ended) producing five watts of power
* Two power tubes in Class AB producing fifty watts of power.

im not entirely sure what this means. is it that i have the option of running 5W or 50W? this amp is on the expencive side too.

phoenix: you said Vox's are decent. any suggestions?
its just a thing saying what type of tubes its using think of it like this, when you wanna play a bit more quietly you switch to the 5 watt and when your gigging you switch to the 50 watt also dont be afriad of the 25 watt its like a 50 watt solidstate which is gigable but like a bit smaller and it depends where are you gigging?
Quote by shrugs1434
So im researching the mesa boogie express line right now. Ive come apon the 5:50 and ran into this:

* One power amp tube in Class A (single ended) producing five watts of power
* Two power tubes in Class AB producing fifty watts of power.

im not entirely sure what this means. is it that i have the option of running 5W or 50W? this amp is on the expencive side too.

phoenix: you said Vox's are decent. any suggestions?

Yes, the Express has the option of running at a Class A 5 watts for the most natural tube saturation you can get, or 50w watts which is a bit more forced but still sounds good.

I tried an express for about 15 minutes at GC in the loud room with a JEM. The tone was OK but I don't believe it lives up to the series it replaced (the F Series).

You can pick up a used F30 or 50 for less than $800.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
hahahaha for a thousand bucks dude your better off getting a carvin V3 combo which is freakin loud and its like 1049 or something off there website so you oculd peobly get it maybe cheaper at a store or cheaper on there website depending on where you live and this amp has mesaboggie distortions and fender cleans its amazing amp and extremely versitile and if you wanna hear what it sounds like go on youtube and look up carvin V3
you wont be let down by this amazing amp
Quote by convictionless
hahahaha for a thousand bucks dude your better off getting a carvin V3 combo which is freakin loud and its like 1049 or something off there website so you oculd peobly get it maybe cheaper at a store or cheaper on there website depending on where you live and this amp has mesaboggie distortions and fender cleans its amazing amp and extremely versitile and if you wanna hear what it sounds like go on youtube and look up carvin V3
you wont be let down by this amazing amp

I've heard bands use them live, and watched a few vids on youtube. It sounds great, but it has a completely different flavor than Mesa Boogies (judging by the clips i've watched) and the Boogies I own.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
hmm. im starting to like the Mesa Boogie Nomad 55 4x10. and for 700 bucks? any word on this amp?
the nomads were pretty lame. i mean, theyre not horrible but pretty underwhelming compared to the other mesa amps.
noooooo dont get mes boggie dude there only good for one thing gain and there cleans are -.- the V3 has good distoaortion but the people using it dont know how to harness the amazing gain it has its a tweakability thing beucase there eq is sensitive so if you turn your mids like a tiny bit you will hear a differnce soo thats the only thing but dont get a mesa unless you have a second amp that has decent cleans
Quote by convictionless
noooooo dont get mes boggie dude there only good for one thing gain and there cleans are -.- the V3 has good distoaortion but the people using it dont know how to harness the amazing gain it has its a tweakability thing beucase there eq is sensitive so if you turn your mids like a tiny bit you will hear a differnce soo thats the only thing but dont get a mesa unless you have a second amp that has decent cleans

I prefer my F-100's clean channel to every fender amp I've ever played if that says anything about it. That was Mesa's bottom of the line amp for about 5 years.

It really seems as though you've read the review on carvin's website where the V3 "dominated" all the high gain boutique amps with it's "amazing" clean channel.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
^dont even pay attention to that guy. hes trying to have an opinion on boogies with his ibanez "toneblaster"...
Quote by TehJermie
^dont even pay attention to that guy. hes trying to have an opinion on boogies with his ibanez "toneblaster"...

But it's fun to defeat someone online... NAAT

The Nomad is somewhat of a precursor to the Lonestar with a bit more gain. The 4x10 ones are kinda, not Mesa boogie-ish, but the 2x12 and Head are pretty good.

God of Shred has one of them nomad deals.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
hmm... alright, im starting to get familiar with some of the mesa amps. How about the maverick 212?
ENGL maybe? But it could be pricey is the US... you might be better sticking to Mesa.
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
traynor perhaps? one of the ycv's? (40 or 50, most likely)

or the mesa express or f-series, like cort noob mentioned...

vht pittbull super 30, if it's under budget, might be worth a look too...

EDIT: oh, a kustom coupe would be pretty sweet for what you want, i always forget about those. check that out too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Id go for a YCV40 Blue, It can get quite heavy with a little boost and the cleans are nice and natural too.

EDIT:
Quote by Dave_MC
EDIT: oh, a kustom coupe would be pretty sweet for what you want, i always forget about those. check that out too.

Yeah that too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wow, what about a YCV80 2x12? would that cause hearing dammage haha? its pretty cheap too. im leaning towards traynors now, much more afordable than mesa boogies

the whole YCV line looks great, ill probly wind up with one of them because they are easy to find
yeah, that'd doubtless be pretty loud... depends how much clean headroom you need, i guess...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by \m/metallica\m/
Mesa boogie rectoverb combo, prolly gonna have to go used, but you can definately get a combo under 1000 bucks.

+1 but he'd have to go used. That amp is killer though!
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Ok, iv actually settled on a Traynor YCV50Blue. Thanks a bunch for all of your help!
Doh! I didn't read your last post. Have fun with your Traynor! It is a great amp, IMHO.

Re: the Mesa Express & Class A 5W/Class AB 25 Watts Switching

Contrary to what another poster said, this does not switch the type of tubes. It switches the number of power tubes that are active in the amp, and how the signal is distributed. So you can switch between 5 & 25 (or 50) watts, which is great if you need to play more silently, but there is more to it.

I don't use the 5/25 watt switching so much for volume, although this is partly why I bought this amp. The switching makes a big difference in your tone and how the amp responds to your play. Without getting into the technical details, the Class A setting sounds more vintagey, and has different harmonics generated when the signal begins to distort. The Class AB setting sounds tighter.

I use the Class A setting for blues & cleans. For eg, slightly distorted cleans on the Class A setting sounds a lot like vintage Vox amplifiers -- think Beatles or early U2.

Contrary to what another poster said, the Mesa Express amps have fantastic cleans: the 25W is more Voxy and the 50W is more Fenderish due to the different power tubes. The spring reverb is great.

I use the Class A/B setting for higher-gain applications, like old Iron Maiden or Judas Priest tunes. The sound is tighter, and the bass is easier to control. The bass on the Class A setting gets carried away pretty quickly if you don't turn it down.

The lead sound is very "liquid" and sounds great on both settings.

Although the Express amps are extremely versatile, some gain freaks believe it doesn't have enough gain on tap (there is more than enough for me, though), so try before you buy. It is not a great amp for "modern" metal and thrash (as opposed to "old school" metal from the 70s & 80s). Also, if you want to specialize in one genre of music, there may be a better amp out there for you. But the Express is versatile, portable and sounds great -- clean, crunch or lead. It will cost you, though =^)

You might find a used F30 for less money. But FWIW, I preferred the 5:25 over the F30, so again, listen for yourself & make up your own mind.
Last edited by Steve BP at Oct 11, 2007,