Could anyone give me some info and suppliers on hand rub oil for a raw mahogany or koa body? I want to get a guitar kit from Warmoth but the guy I spoke to wasn't very helpful on finishing the guitar or helpful on where I could get the oils...

Also, are any of the oils made with stain/tint or is that separate?
Tung oil is really good, you can buy it at a hardware store. You just wipe it on let it sit go over it lightly with fine steel wool and do it again. Its up to you how many coats. It wont leave a finish like paint will. But it does make a real smooth easy to play neck. And protects wood very well. It was used on gun stocks for a long time. Linseed oil works ok to but the tung oil is better.
Quote by Tackleberry
Tung oil is really good, you can buy it at a hardware store. You just wipe it on let it sit go over it lightly with fine steel wool and do it again. Its up to you how many coats. It wont leave a finish like paint will. But it does make a real smooth easy to play neck. And protects wood very well. It was used on gun stocks for a long time. Linseed oil works ok to but the tung oil is better.

Cool, I'd heard of Tung Oil but didn't know it was that common.

With a mahogany body and koa top, is the tung oil going to darken the wood up very much? Take a look at these and tell me if you think I can get a similar finish with it:

http://www.warmoth.com/gallery/galcontainer.cfm?id=799

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearDetails.aspx?Item=1594597

The neck I want is going to be made out of padouk but I was told the wood is naturally oily and I don't know if I'll need to oil it or not.
I put tung oil on a maple neck and it didnt really make any change in color. It depends on how much you put on mostly. You dont need a ton of it to protect and preserve. But it ownt be thick like paint. Yea its pretty popular as it is a natural product and has been in use for a long time as in a couple hundred years. I bought the last stuff I needed at ace but lowes/home depot, etc will have it to. Just use a rag to put some on then lightly go over with some really fine steel wool. I think I put 10 coats on. And its really nice to play as I hear some on here complaining about gloss necks. It does have a shine but more of a satin. I think you will be happy with it on a nice grained wood. The mahogany has a lot of pores in it so you would probably need to find somesort of clear filler for it. Or use a different wood under the koa. But it might look good as is. Something you will have to try.
I never knew you applied tung oil with steel wool. I was just going to use an old T shirt.

Learn something new everday I guess...unfortunatly today it wasn't in school.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Tackleberry
I put tung oil on a maple neck and it didnt really make any change in color. It depends on how much you put on mostly. You dont need a ton of it to protect and preserve. But it ownt be thick like paint. Yea its pretty popular as it is a natural product and has been in use for a long time as in a couple hundred years. I bought the last stuff I needed at ace but lowes/home depot, etc will have it to. Just use a rag to put some on then lightly go over with some really fine steel wool. I think I put 10 coats on. And its really nice to play as I hear some on here complaining about gloss necks. It does have a shine but more of a satin. I think you will be happy with it on a nice grained wood. The mahogany has a lot of pores in it so you would probably need to find somesort of clear filler for it. Or use a different wood under the koa. But it might look good as is. Something you will have to try.

I think it'll look good too, especially if I get the koa top.

I've actually seen some Les Pauls lately at Guitar Center that are raw mahogany and they are just finishing them with oil. They look pretty good that way.
No you dont apply the oil with steel wool, the t shirt is the way to go. Put some on with the shirt let it sit to soak in and dry then go over it with steel wool to get a real smooth finish. The last coat you can forgo the steel wool if you want a glossier finish or more satin if you give a light steel wooling with the extra fine grade, they sell it at ace to.
Any idea how Tung Oil or Tru Oil would look on a plain maple top? Would it darken the color of the wood much?

walnut... two different guitars, but a before and after.

koa, koa, and maple/koa

carvin has picture galleries of their kit guitars.

tung oil is easy to aply, but isnt as stable as spray on lacquer.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Oct 16, 2007,