Im looking for a well rounded humbucker pickup out there. One that has some fairly bright tones but also has the features a regular humbucker pickup has. Are there any out there. If so please tell me. thanks in advance.
hot rails are pretty good. possibly in middle position and use the tone knob for high and low.
The Seymour Duncan JB fits your description. Lots of presence and treble, and sounds pretty tight and clear
Quote by icon_player_5
hot rails are pretty good. possibly in middle position and use the tone knob for high and low.

yeah but arent the hot rails designed to fit into a single coil pickup slot? i need something that is standard size, thanks though
gibson burstbucker?

there's a reason they're put in LP's.
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Last edited by staticoverdub at Oct 9, 2007,
Dimarzio Evolution, but that might be a little high output for what you want...
OMG!!! They're playing One!!!!!11fade to black11one11

God & Founder of UG Electronics

Electronics God of the Laney Cult

My Gear:

Ibanez RG370DX
Laney VC30-212
Dunlop Crybaby
Boss CS-3
Ibanez TS9DX
ok so i took a look at the SD JB pickups. can anyone say through experience whether they sound good or not on both the neck and bridge?
Quote by Ekim423
ok so i took a look at the SD JB pickups. can anyone say through experience whether they sound good or not on both the neck and bridge?

I don't think they'd sound good in either.

And I would hardly call it a "well rounded" pickup; it's pretty much a one trick-pony.

Way too thin and trebly for my tastes.

What kind of music do you play and what amp do you have?
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
^ agreed. my jb in my edwards sounds as good if not better than i've heard it in any other guitar, but I still wouldn't really buy one by choice... even from duncan or dimarzio, there are better options if you ask me...

how do you define "well-rounded"?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Seymour Duncan '59
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
also, i'll add, do you veer more towards a more modern distortion, or a more vintage tone? i know you said "well-rounded", but most people veer slightly more one way or the other... and that'll affect our suggestions.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
also, i'll add, do you veer more towards a more modern distortion, or a more vintage tone? i know you said "well-rounded", but most people veer slightly more one way or the other... and that'll affect our suggestions.

I was just about to say that it'd affect *some* people's decisions, and that there'd still be some people who would most likely suggest a JB, Dirty Fingers, or EMG regardless of what the threadstarter wanted, and then ^this guy proved me right.

Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.

yeah, i mean a lot of people would say a '59 is well-rounded... but if you play a lot of modern metal, it's possibly not tight enough, and a more modern pickup which has decent cleans etc. may be better...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
PRS McCarty or Dragon pickups are very versatile. I swapped out the stock pickups in my PRS for the McCartys and I'm very satisfied. Very nice, fat cleans and still good distortion. The HFS/Vintage Bass combo can also be very versatile with some coil splitting. They tend to favor harder rock, though. Dave Stephens, Lindy Fralin, Rio Grande - they all make good humbuckers. Jumping on the Seymour Duncan/DiMarzio bandwagon right away can be disappointing.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Oct 9, 2007,
I stand by my advice on the JB. It does have a bright sound. Check. Its versatile. Can play anything from SRV to Van Halen tom early Metallica and back. The bottom end won't kill you, but thats not what he said he's looking for. He wanted a bright versatile pickup, and the JB is a bright versatile pickup.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Jumping on the Seymour Duncan/DiMarzio bandwagon right away can be disappointing.

agreed. mine are nice for stock pickups, but i wouldn't be all that impressed had I forked out specially for them.

To me (obviously with a UK bias, because they're so dear here), they're a bonus if you get them stock- it means you don't have to immediately run out to upgrade them. But I wouldn't really buy them as an upgrade to be honest.

Of course, YMMV, especially if you get them at US pricing.

^ i agree the JB is bright, but I wouldn't say it's versatile. It's extremely hot, and basically wants a screaming, distorted tone all the time. EDIT: don't get me wrong, you could do worse, but you could do better too, IMO.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ i agree the JB is bright, but I wouldn't say it's versatile. It's extremely hot, and basically wants a screaming, distorted tone all the time. EDIT: don't get me wrong, you could do worse, but you could do better too, IMO.

Different strokes for different folks
agreed.

the one advantage of the JB is its ubiquity, though- you can generally get to try it first to see if you like it. Of course, the problem is that it can sound vastly different in different guitars, even made of the same wood etc., so that doesn't always help all that much.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Ekim423
Im looking for a well rounded humbucker pickup out there. One that has some fairly bright tones but also has the features a regular humbucker pickup has. Are there any out there. If so please tell me. thanks in advance.

Why, are you looking to change yours to change your tone? I'd look towards upgrading your amp, first, if you're still playing through that little starter guitar amp.
toshay, john.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There are so many threads like this that I can't keep track of whether I ask/look at their amp anymore .

+1 to what John said.

Save up for a new amp.
Quote by utsapp89
yeah, me too. they all sorta meld into one...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by forsaknazrael
Why, are you looking to change yours to change your tone? I'd look towards upgrading your amp, first, if you're still playing through that little starter guitar amp.

no. actually im building a guitar from scratch for my senior project and just wanted some versatile pickups for it. and im not playing through that "little starter guitar"
Quote by forsaknazrael
Ah, okay. Well, perhaps look into a Seymour Duncan SH-1 '59 and a Seymour Duncan SH-14 Custom-5.

Well, I think that would be good if you were using mahogany. What kind of wood are you using?

maple
Quote by Ekim423
maple

Wow, that's going to be one hell of a bright guitar - I can't imagine how horrible a JB would be in that.

You'll want something warm, stick a Dimarzio Breed in there.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i dunno, i mean that kramer jersey star i tried was supposedly maple, and it was warmer-sounding than an rg1570 i tried head to head with it...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i dunno, i mean that kramer jersey star i tried was supposedly maple, and it was warmer-sounding than an rg1570 i tried head to head with it...

Shut it 80's boy

Hmmm, I always thought that maple was above alder in the brightness stakes and that was why you didn't often see all-maple guitars...it's pretty hefty too, isn't it?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i didn't notice much about the weight, to be honest, it seemed pretty "normal" (though probably heavier than the RG, though of course it's "light"). though being a solid finish, of course it could have been anything under there.

but yeah, it surprised me. And I know a knowledgeable guy on another forum swears by maple guitars, and always complains that people say maple guitars are really bright, without really knowing much about it.

From my limited experience with it, I'd have to agree.

and if anything you're more 80's than me...

EDIT: the bridge pickup was a little thin/bright, but after trying it unplugged too, i blamed that on the pickup, not the wood.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ah i haven't tried rics before. EDIT: it's definitely possible that the floyds round out the tone... there's (sometimes anyway) a kind of a softness from a floyd.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ah i haven't tried rics before. EDIT: it's definitely possible that the floyds round out the tone... there's (sometimes anyway) a kind of a softness from a floyd.

i think its the lack of contact between the bridge and body...removes the slight bite of the sound...i wouldn't describe it as soft though, more like a tightened roundness(if thats possible...ll i know is that floyd equiped guitars always sound like that to me)
I've developed a complex where everytime I hear a Lamb of God song, I burst out laughing

My 7 String V build
My Main Guitars:
Kramer Striker FR-2027SM 7 String
BC Rich Afterburner Warlock
Washburn Xb100 Bass
My Effect(s)/Misc:
Digitech RP350
yeah, i know what you mean.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?