what do you reccomend i use to record at home? im trying to buy something but i want to make sure its good before i buy it
Lol, wow.

Well I use my laptop and Garageband with a USB-1/4" interface. One track at a time, and it's good enough for demos and things.
what you use depends on your comp, for example if you have a mac (recent one) you're pretty much set as long as you have garageband.

for windows i'd strongly advise getting an interface rather than changing your soundcard, just because you touch less things and you have a lower chance of destroying them plus interfaces usually come with this super awesome necessary thing called a preamp. um so you'd also need a good recording mic (i'll let the other people here expand on that). but the basic setup is

mic >> preamp(and interface) >> audio tracking program (eg audacity)

well thats at the most basic level, assuming you dont want to do a massive 10 mic live band recording, for that you need more money and more mics.

and to the second poter, garageband is mac exclusive, plus mac = media oriented and its a thousand times better than the quality you get of a windows. srsly. so dont go around telling people they can get awesome studio quality recordings from a laptop in general. not going to happen if its windows.
i have a 'white guitar'
ok well heres what i was thinking
either the ux1 or ux2

and my friend said it comes with a demo program called gearbox which is amazing but if you buy the full program its 500 bucks. and i dont want to spend 500 bucks on a program
Quote by .fallen
and to the second poter, garageband is mac exclusive, plus mac = media oriented and its a thousand times better than the quality you get of a windows. srsly. so dont go around telling people they can get awesome studio quality recordings from a laptop in general. not going to happen if its windows.

I'm rather aware that Garageband is Mac exclusive, and gathered that was fairly common knowledge. I was just telling him my setup, sorry.