Well....

I am going to build a studio within the next year and I need to start researching some microphones. I am going to get an SM57 of course but I feel I also need a condenser to compliment it. What is the BEST microphone for this? I don't care about price, I am just curious
Royer 121. Besides the SM57 it is one of the most commonly used guitar cab mics in higher end studios.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.

Don't bother with condensors. You'll want to use a Ribbon. Better yet, a dual-element ribbon.

It's best to use both a ribbon and a dynamic. Condensors tend to sound too bright and sensitive for cabs.

I'd recommend taking a look at Oktava. Great ribbon mics.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Last edited by TehNez at Oct 8, 2007,
Royer 121 is a ribbon, and thrice_removed is right by saying it is commonly used in higher end studios, heck if you go over the gearslutz and take a look at the miced guitar cab pictures, you'll find one of those suckers in almost ever pic. But on the other hand it sounds like spending 1,000.00 on a ribbon mic is not really in your budget, and if you could you wouldn't be asking the question in this forum.

Are you looking to blend a condenser and dynamic on a guitar cab, or are you looking for just a multi purpose condenser, to record various things?
i am looking for a condenser (or ribbon) mic to go with a Shure SM57 to record guitar amps. My price range is about $750
Quote by take_it_t
Royer 121 is a ribbon

I realize that, I was referring to the original post.

I would definitely recommend checking out the Oktava ML-52-01. The Royer 121 is a great mic as well.

Just remember, no matter how good your mics are, it's going to sound like ass without proper isolation and good preamps.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
*Oo - good one - I almost forgot about it. Check one of those out as well WlCmToTheJungle. Also look at an SM7b, which many prefer quite a bit to the SM57 for guitar cabs and male vocals. It is very similar in sound to the RE20 so give both a look - you can't go wrong with either.
PM Me for any help you need with recording systems/tips
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good call

Man, you should be a mod, you know everything.