i want to clean and oil my fingerboard and this would be easier if i took all the strings of but iv head people say thats not a good idea.
is this true??
thanks
What kind of bridge does your guitar have?

As long as you don't leave it that way for long, your neck *should* be ok, although I never take that chance.

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
What type of bridge do you have? On stop tails and tune-o-matics it should be alright, though take the bridge off before cleaning so it doesn't accidentally FALL off. On tremolo equipped guitars, I wouldn't advise it unless you block up the trem and know what you're doing.
its a gibson SG standard so i just has a stopbar tailpiece and a tuneomatic bridge
Quote by FacingUsAll
What kind of bridge does your guitar have?

As long as you don't leave it that way for long, your neck *should* be ok, although I never take that chance.

"too Long" is a few weeks, so cleaning the fretboard should not be a problem.
I have heard that it is actually bad. My guitar teacher told me that cutting off and taking all the strings off at once releases way too much pressure instantaneously off the neck.

Also, I find that if I take off one string at a time it prevents my bridge's intonation from getting screwed up. If I take off all of them at once it becomes really lose and stuff. That is with my Epi LP.

I guess it also really depends on what kind of bridge and guitar you have.
When ever I change my stings every ten playing hours I take all mine off Iam I damaging my guitars Necks are straight
When someone asks I always advise not removing all strings at once because I don't know how stable their neck is. This said I do it all the time with my SG Standard with no ill effects. Like someone else said be careful the bridge doesn't fall out and don't accidentally turn the adjustment knobs, they turn very easily. Easy to adjust if it happens though. If it falls off just make sure you don't put it on backwards, it will screw with your intonation (I know from experience.)
Last edited by uldhppi at Oct 8, 2007,
on a locking trem , hell the fuck no its not, unless you wanna reset it back, which would take a long time.
if you have a floyd bridge and you remove all the strings at once, the floyd is gonna shoot up and you're gonna have to put an assload of force on it to get it back down, the strings are what keep it from shooting up
i have the same guitar as you
when i change strings i always take them all off to clean the fret board
nothing bad has happened so dont worry
Quote by Skynyrd890
I have a Squire Strat(don't laugh)...problem for me?

You're fine. It only applies to full-floating bridges.
yes.

it's a trem bridge.

in all cases you want to swap one string at a time unless you know how to set up ur guitar.

ive run the stringing Q and A for maybe 2 years now. and i cant tell you how many times a guy's TOM bridge pops off, or a trem raises, or a neck relaxes, and it takes me hours of explaining before he can get rid of all the fret buzz.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by Carvinlover
When ever I change my stings every ten playing hours I take all mine off Iam I damaging my guitars Necks are straight

No, i take all my strings off to change strings, individualy, however i wont do it again simply because it's tune o matic bridge so if i take them all off, my action changes lol...

How come you change your strings so often, 10 playing hours, thats what, 1 month?
Quote by JeffWiredBeck24
You're fine. It only applies to full-floating bridges.

Well I don't know whether to call you a jackass or say thanks...I'll go with thanks...
On a floating trem all you have to do it put something under the back of it to hold it up.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by CraigKing
No, i take all my strings off to change strings, individualy, however i wont do it again simply because it's tune o matic bridge so if i take them all off, my action changes lol...

How come you change your strings so often, 10 playing hours, thats what, 1 month?

No like once a week. I use ernie balls and the guy who taught me said the sting life was 10 hours of play on them till they lose there brightness. So I just took his advice. He said to use elixers on floyd rose guitars becuase they last thirty.
I've only been playing about a year so I play atleast a hour a day. When I was unemployed I played like 6 to 9 hours a day, but let my stings die cuase i couldn't afford to change them that much.
^i'm pretty sure there's no set amount of time before strings lose their brightness. it depends who you are, how you play, your pick attack, climate, etc etc etc. and some people like the feel and sound of new strings, some like the feel and sound of really old strings. unless you're terrorizing the strings with your pick attack and bending the sh*t outta them constantly, i'm sure your ernie balls will last you more than 10 hours. as a music major and club musician, i play many many hours every day, and i only change my strings once every 3 weeks or so.
Quote by climhazzard
^i'm pretty sure there's no set amount of time before strings lose their brightness. it depends who you are, how you play, your pick attack, climate, etc etc etc. and some people like the feel and sound of new strings, some like the feel and sound of really old strings. unless you're terrorizing the strings with your pick attack and bending the sh*t outta them constantly, i'm sure your ernie balls will last you more than 10 hours. as a music major and club musician, i play many many hours every day, and i only change my strings once every 3 weeks or so.

I like the pop they have when there brand new So I don't mind, Plus its making me better at tuning. Thanx for the info though

Edit: I also have a heavy pick hand like you say.
Last edited by Carvinlover at Oct 9, 2007,
well if you're willing to shell out the cash for them there's no real other problem
Cheaper then smoking. $4a week aint to bad. I sadly used to spend $30 a week on cigs , you know what I mean!? Plus every few months or so guitar center has sales if you buy stings bulk. Good thing to watch out for if you have one near you.
Plus I think the girl at guitar center likes me. Cause every time I buy like twenty dollars worth of **** there I get a certificate for a free pack of stings or cable singed by her. And my buddy buys exspensive stuff there all the time and he has only got two. I've got four in the last month and have spent less then a hundred, and at least ten since shes been working there. So that helps
Quote by Carvinlover
Plus I think the girl at guitar center likes me. Cause every time I buy like twenty dollars worth of **** there I get a certificate for a free pack of stings or cable singed by her. And my buddy buys exspensive stuff there all the time and he has only got two. I've got four in the last month and have spent less then a hundred, and at least ten since shes been working there. So that helps

Haha, dude, no offense you aren't special. I get those every time I buy stuff too :P
carvinlover, there's an edit button for a reason.

and to the ts, sorry i didn't even respond to your question. it's not really all that bad to remove all of your strings at once, especially since you have a tune-o-matic and a stop-tail. if you're read the advice given thus far, you should get it. don't let your bridge fall off. and don't keep your strings off for too long. that being said, i usually restring one string at a time, except when i feel the impulse to clean my fretboard. i know how to set up my guitars, however, so, while it may not happen, you might get fret buzz/intonation problems if you take off all of your strings. in short: it's not really bad, but my advice is to do it one at a time.
i clean my fretboard buy takin 3 strings off and leaving 3 on,clean one area put on 3 new strings,take the other 3 off,clean the area and put on strings.

Or sometimes i get to lazy so just try to clean the whole fretboard with 3 strings on,its really not that hard.
No she always flirts with me though. Shes not all that hot eathier like a 7, but I could use her a see what I could get

Also I still don't get what could go wrong by taking all stings off. When I change my buddys floyd strings I take them all off then reset every thing. I always get his action real low and no fret buzz. My Strat stays dialed in. It has springs on it over the screw that hold them blocks (I don't know what there called) saddles I guess in place. as long as they stay in the grooves. My tremelo also stays flush. I could see leaving them off mabye the neck would relax and bow back alittle. That would take awhile though. and if you hung it from a fret rest the wait should keep it straight.

One of the first things I did with my first guitar a squire was take it apart an analyze it. Guitars are Machines, But pretty basic simple machines. There easy to keep lined up. I think everybody who has a cheap guitar to play around with like squire should mess around with the mechanics. It's not as hard to learn as it seems. It's simple mechanics, but I wouldn't if its your only guitar. Just don't bend the neck Randy Rhoads.
Im not sure where the idea that taking strings off will screw up a guitar originated. I would imagine cutting them all at once would not be so good. But cranking the tuners down until the strings are lose enough to come off shouldnt be a problem. I do it to my guitars all the time. Ive never done the one at a time thing. And yea the tuneomatics do like to fall off. And yea the knobs are easy to turn while screwing around. But as for screwing up a neck never seen it before. As for the floating bridge problem. One of my strats has a floating bridge it just takes a little longer to tune it after replacing strings.
I had a guitar in storage for well over a year with no strings on it. I took it out and slapped some strings on it and other than the neck having to settle back into the truss, I had no problems. The legend of the no-strings boogie man is a farce!
So if I were to take the strings off for about 3 days(strings in the mail), my guitar should be fine? I want to clean it and everything...and re-solder some connections...I hate my Squire...