Lookin for an amp for Metal. I dont want a combo, must be half stack, good price range like $500 at max. Was thinkin about the Line 6 SPIDER III but there was just another forum where they ****ing blasted it....So any suggestions?
No, bad, no spiders!!!

Why do you think you need a halfstack?

Buy a tube combo and thank me later.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I wish I had a suggestion you would want to hear. You will not get any kind of acceptable half-stack for $500. How about a nice tube combo and buy a 412 extension cab later? Best of both worlds.
And YUCK to Spiders.
Go tube... You never loose...
POOP
[img]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c200/rvd316/Screenshot_37.jpg[/img]
POOP
Honestly, to disagree with everyone else, if I had that much money, I would consider a Line 6 Spider, They are VERY metal, and quite loud. Just for sheer volume they destroy my peaveys. They have Efx built in. On the other hand, There is a chance you could find a peavey transtube, which sounds pretty close to an actual tube head. for your budget I would probably recomend the Transtube Supreme XL. Not the best, but for the price, and don't get a crate, they are pretty lousy in every aspect.
why does everyone hate the spider so much? theyre one of the mose insane amps i've ever played other than a mesa boogie rectifier, but its like, cheaper for a whole stack to get a spider than it is to get the cab alone for the boogie. i'd say if you can afford it, go for a tube amp, like a rectifier. if not, get that spider III, theyre so good.
dst127 wrote:
Soundwash22 wrote:
Fred Durst is the Tom Green of music

No, some people actually like Tom Green.

dancesisidance wrote:
Shiroshu wrote:
I can't see Jimi approving of this.

Me neither, due to him not being alive and all.
get something from randall

their solid state stuff is pretty good

if you only need super clean or extreme metal distortion get analog solidstate because there honestly isnt much tonal differences between analog and tubes at these tonal regions

if you want the nice beautiful overdrive where the amp is right on the edge of break up
go tube (i did and i love it)
Quote by Pg.inc_music
Honestly, to disagree with everyone else, if I had that much money, I would consider a Line 6 Spider, They are VERY metal, and quite loud. Just for sheer volume they destroy my peaveys. They have Efx built in. On the other hand, There is a chance you could find a peavey transtube, which sounds pretty close to an actual tube head. for your budget I would probably recomend the Transtube Supreme XL. Not the best, but for the price, and don't get a crate, they are pretty lousy in every aspect.

No offense, buy you have no ear for tone (you'll get it eventually, but you don't have it now). Spiders don't do any style very well, and their metal settings are worse than the other ones (and I'm not bandwaggoning by the way, I owned and used a Spider for a year). There's so much better for the price, it's not even funny.

Threadstarter, if you can save up another $100-$200, you could get a used Peavey 5150 combo. It's 60 watts all tube, which is louder than any Spider ever made (it's also far more metal, but we won't get into that).

If you can't save that much, try a Crate Palomino V32. It's 30 watts tube (which is loud enough for small gigs, and bigger gigs will have a PA), but will need an overdrive pedal for metal. It also comes in a head version, if you're that desperate for a halfstack, but keep in mind you would still need to buy the cab.
if your heart is absolutely set on a metal halfstack for $500, go for the spider. if tone means less to you than looks, go for the spider (though any guitarist with an ear for tone will have zero respect for your amp). it sounds terrible. i owned and used a 212 combo for about a year several years back. traded it for a fender hot rod and have never regretted it.
a used 5150 combo would be good for you, and you should be able to find one near your budget. it'll sound way better than the spider and be far louder, so don't worry about that. and if looks matter, build a fake extension cabinet and plop the combo on top of that (though that's a bit lame..)
I've played metal for years and aside from the odd Marshall or other amp here and there, most players in most other metal bands use Mesa Rectos or 5150s. If you can get a 5150 combo for $450+/- do it. It will be very loud and I'm sure the millions of people who have them will agree they sound VERY good.
MetallyGuitarded.com
- Music Man Silhouette w/stock Floyd - Evo(B) ToneZone(N)
- Boss SD-1 & CS-3, EHX Hazarai & Clone Theory
- VHT PittBull 45 - 2x12
Quote by MetaL_TerrorisT
I've played metal for years and aside from the odd Marshall or other amp here and there, most players in most other metal bands use Mesa Rectos or 5150s. If you can get a 5150 combo for $450+/- do it. It will be very loud and I'm sure the millions of people who have them will agree they sound VERY good.

I have one and I think it sounds like crap compared to my F-30 F-30 is usually cheaper too!
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
5150 combo is the loudest combo amp in existance. I cant turn mine up past .5 in the house.

If your looking for Lamb of God, Children of Bodom midrangey sound...nothing touches a 5150.

However, If i had mad money, Id get a VHT or a Diezel.
My stuff:
05 Zakk Wylde Custom LP
99 PRS CE-22 Honeyburst
01 PRS CE-22 Amber
96 Joe Perry LP
80 LP Custom
07 Robert Clay Strat
86 Ibanez USA Custom
39 Martin 000-18
5150 2x12 Combo
Genz Benz Diablo Combo
Zakk Wylde MG 15
Quote by darkfire_storm
why does everyone hate the spider so much? theyre one of the mose insane amps i've ever played other than a mesa boogie rectifier, but its like, cheaper for a whole stack to get a spider than it is to get the cab alone for the boogie. i'd say if you can afford it, go for a tube amp, like a rectifier. if not, get that spider III, theyre so good.

Line 6 spiders give you cancer, aids and tone herpes.
Quote by hartagram
5150 combo is the loudest combo amp in existance. I cant turn mine up past .5 in the house.

lol WWWIIMMMPPP!

Besides, Im sure my JCM900 is just as loud...or most any other 2x12 tube combo out there.

I cant add anything that hasnt been said. Apparently this kid cares nothing about what the majority of people have to say (people who actually HAVE an ear for good tone) so what was the point of even making a thread?
If you're bent on the halfstack idea, start with a used Epi VJ cabinet and spend the rest of the money on the amp.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Look, I'll say it plain and simple.

Do not get a spider.

You came in here asking for amp advice, you gave us your opinion. it was infact a very bad choice. sure its big and you'll look bR00t4l!1!1 but it'll sound like absolute ass. why do you think its so cheap? do you think something that is so big and apparently so awesome would be so cheap when over here a JSX combo is $3500??

the people on here are trying to help you and there not just saying this to push your buttons, they and myself had had experience with a spider and are telling you its bad, do no get it.

Try for a 5150 combo, it'll sound 938329583 times better and is louder than your little halfstack. and if looks are everything to you which they seem to be. you can always add a 412 cab under it later once you get some money.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
yah spiders suck ass they just dont have any tone period
there alright i guese if your just ganna play at home and thats it
home use if your ganna use it for band practice or a gig they sound like complete sht
i know because my friend has a spider half stack and it sounds shty at low volumes when hes practicing and even shtr when he cranks it up

the should change the volume knob to a "sht" labeled knob the higher you push it the shtr it sounds
Buy used. and explore around. A lot of good equipment can come used and still look new. Due to inexperienced people who dream of playing and never get around to it. Then they just pawn them off. Also I agree with don't get a crate, my buddy has blown 2 while attempting to play metal. He no longer buys crates.
That and the Mesa thing are the only thing I agree with in this forum though. Oh yah and Tubes are louder, and offer warmth. Can't forget that but that's common knowledge. I'm not going to argue with anyone, but that's my 2cents with out starting a riot ^_^