Page 1 of 2
Thinking about getting an Epi Les Paul. Not looking at an elitist but maybe a standard, custom or ultra. Is there anything I should look for when I go to look at these? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
i dont know i chose my epi after extensevely playing each one a custom a standard and a ultra
and in the end i chose the custom with the three humbuckers it beat the sht out of the other ones
^Care to elaborate?

Overall I think they are good guitars (I'm talking the Standard and on up). One word of advice I would give to you is to play a few first, because there always is the chance of ending up with a dud. The pickups/electronics aren't really anything to write home about either. I really like mine though, decided to pick it up because it played exceptionally well. After I rewired it and got some new pups it's quite a nice guitar.

If your looking for an LP style guitar don't just limit yourself to Epi either, look into other brands such as Tokai, Edwards, and Agile.
i got a custom. i like it. but it all depends on what you like. try them out at a shop if you can. or just buy the prettiest one you can find, like i did (see my profile pics)
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
im on my second guitar which is an Epi LP Standard. I love it. Its got some nice warm tones and pretty good sustain. I wouldnt go any lower than a standard. Dont get a junior or a special or any of those. Les Pauls are a little on the heavy side however. But I kinda like that in a guitar for some reason.
I had a standard and loved it, but had to sell it to make money for my Strat. I am going to buy myself a new LP though, probably an Alpine White Custom
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
Quote by FRDesign
Those are about the greatest looking guitars ever.

I really can't wait now
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
but u rly should try some other guitars as well not just LPs. Playability is one of the most important things u should take into concern when buying a guitar, and personal preference is key here. For example, since i have smaller hands and like thinner necks, it was hard for me to play some faster solos on a gibson LP that i tried, just because the neck is pretty fat and my hands aren't used to it. so go try some other guitars before buying the LP. oh yea also,from my experience most LPs do have a "thicker" tone than some other guitars, such as a strat.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
What music do you play, what amp do you have, and what is your price range?

Epiphones are pretty much your middle of the line, mediocre guitars. You can do a lot better in that price range. I often refer to them as "The-guitars-that-people-buy-when-they-don't-know-enough-about-guitars-to-get-something-better", or TGTPBWTDKEAGTGSB for short.

( I know from experience )
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
What music do you play, what amp do you have, and what is your price range?

Epiphones are pretty much your middle of the line, mediocre guitars. You can do a lot better in that price range. I often refer to them as "The-guitars-that-people-buy-when-they-don't-know-enough-about-guitars-to-get-something-better", or TGTPBWTDKEAGTGSB for short.

+1, A Washburn X50 PRO for example has Seymour Duncans (good ones at that!), a quality neck, good body woods and a great design, as well as a Buzz Feiten system and it's considerably higher quality than an Epi Paul too!
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I play classic rock, a little hard rock, and starting to get interested in blues. I have a peavey classic 30 and my range is around 500.00
Quote by sdavis1465
I play classic rock, a little hard rock, and starting to get interested in blues. I have a peavey classic 30 and my range is around 500.00

Check the country of origin, China seems to be the cheapest, then taiwan etc.

I got a chinese LP standard for £259, but the bridge and saddle were slightly off centre. I didn't notice il I got it home but if i measured the distance from the outside of the bottom E to the edge of the neck at the 12th fret it was just over 6mm, on the top e it was just over 2 mm and got worse the further you went down the neck. The bottom strings were also nowhere near the pole pieces on the pickups

However, I took it back cos it just seemed to have lost it's magic for me and got one that was spot on (the tech said that it would not make any difference any way). So watch for quality issues.....

The pickups are ok, but they are the weakest link on an EPI LP. I have changed mine for Gibson burstbuckers for the '59 les paul standard sound, and I'm now in love with my guitar. Got them both off the internet for about £160

Take your time, try every one they have that you like the look of, check the country of origin, watch for quality issues, consider upgrading the pickups (you'll be REALLY glad you did), make sure you get it set up properly.

Then take it home and ROCK like a madman!!
Quote by FRDesign
Those are about the greatest looking guitars ever.

i wanted 1 of those, but they dont have any left handed ones AAAAHHHHHHH! they do lefty ones in black, but i hate black guitars with a passion

but ye i went with the standerd and i very very happy with it, i would go try out some of the other brands first thuogh, ive herd that agile are very good for the money.

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
Last edited by Stingz. at Oct 10, 2007,
I got told when getting a les paul that if you're gona' buy an Epiphone, get the custom plus. It Sounds just as good as a Gibson, just alot cheaper.
I've got a standard and not sure how it sounds compared to a Gibson but I like it alot.
And am I the only one who thinks that gold, black and white Epiphone would look alot better without the looooooong tuners?
Quote by sdavis1465
Any opinions on the ultra model?
Played one a while back. Was pretty nice to handle, though the weight was a bit odd, the neck was a touch overbalanced for the body, which is odd since it's a maple neck, rather than the suual mahogany, and by all rights it should have been lighter.
Looked fine, though I'm not really a fan of quilt tops.
Like all Epi LPs, it would have benefited greatly from different pickups and a new bridge. Tone-wise, it seemed a little bit thinner than most LPs, and it had more natural sustain and a slight reverb sound to it. I figure that must be due to the heavily chambered body that makes it almost like a semi-hollowbody.

All in all, it seemed like it'd be good for blues up to mid-70's rock (in fact it seemed like it would be perfect for very early Aerosmith), but past that it didn't seem terribly flexible. It really wouldn't be good for any kind of metal for instance, and for harder and more modern rock there are far better choices too. I almost bought it anyway since I've already got guitars suitable for harder rock, but in the end I decided against it since it did seem like a lot of money to spend on an instrument that really is only good for two or three similar styles of playing, while most other LPs can cover almost everything with ease.

Try one out by all means, but I really don't think it's anything to get that excited about. I think you're better off, if a good Epi LP is what you're looking for, by getting a Custgom and upgrading it's pickups and bridge. You could probably do this for the same price as the Ultra and it would end up sounding far better and be more flexible, in my opinion.
I've got a Special II ($150!), and other than the weight (I've got a semi-permanent red mark where the strap digs into my shoulder) it's the greatest guitar I've ever played. The tone is amazing, much better than the Gibbie Custom I played when I was shopping for it.
^^ Either you have dire taste in tone, or that's an incredibly well made (or modded) Special-II you lucked upon and the Gibson you tried was either a fake or a bad example of one. I've played an Epi LP Special-II and it was one of the worst guitars I've ever had the misfortune of handling. I'd actually rank it even below the Epi LP Junior, as at least that gets some sustain back and a touch thicker tone thanks to it only having one pickup.
Quote by FacingUsAll
... "The-guitars-that-people-buy-when-they-don't-know-enough-about-guitars-to-get-something-better", or TGTPBWTDKEAGTGSB for short.

A MIJ Epi is also a great buy ... awesome quality and if you care for the looks, an Alpine White with the open book headstock + multi-ply binding like the Gibsons.

Ultras are pretty nice. If you're aching for the classic Les Paul tone though you might not want one. It's very different from any other Les Paul I've played (about a hundred pounds lighter too!).
I've began looking at the Agile AL-3000 also, what are some opinions on these? Thanks in advance
Just wondering if anyone could compare the epiphone studio vs. the standard. Which one is the better sounding one?
If you take the game of life seriously, if you take your nervous system seriously, if you take your sense organs seriously, if you take the energy process seriously, you must turn on, tune in, and drop out.

-Timothy Leary
While we're all talking about epi les pauls, Anyone have any thoughts on the LP-100? i found an older one at a local shop and thought it played pretty well considering the price. It was a vintage sunburst which actually looks good in person. For $195 is it worth it?
Epiphone les Paul Standard
Crate GT1200H & Cab
Digitech RP70
DAndario Strings
I've got a Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top

Click Here

great guitar, nice tone, good neck, nice finish, good value
-------------------------------------------------
- Fender Strat (1988, Japan)
- Epiphone Les Paul (2008, Korea,)
- Epiphone Sheraton (1988, Korea)
- Morgan WG20GEN (2003, Norway)
and some stuff non-used stuff for sale/trade in the Netherlands
I have an Epi Les Paul Custom. I like it a lot, although i am going to have to get some new pups for it, once i get a tube amp.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
I like the Classic model because it has better tuners than standard.
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by sdavis1465
I've began looking at the Agile AL-3000 also, what are some opinions on these? Thanks in advance

Excellent value for money.

Better than the Epi's you listed, solid construction, better pickups, made of all mahogany as opposed to Epi's Mahogany-Alder sandwich.

But is the Agile's body stacked? As opposed to a solid piece of mahogany?
^Really?

EDIT: So they are.

Hmm, I'm not sure about this.
I think the Agile would be a bit better, alas I've not played the all mahogany Epi's yet, I'm going down to a guitar store tomorrow though.
About the solid mahogany, i thought the Epi Lp Customs were always solid mahogany, but the standards sometimes were the mahganoy alder sandwich. If im wrong someone please correct me.
Epiphone LP Cust. w/ SD '59 neck and Cust. 5 bridge
Fender MIA Stratocaster
Traynor YCV50
Vox AD30VT
Dunlop SW-95 Wah
ElectroHarmonix Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
ElectroHarmonix Small Clone
We roll tonight, To the guitar bite
Quote by Chuckleberry
About the solid mahogany, i thought the Epi Lp Customs were always solid mahogany, but the standards sometimes were the mahganoy alder sandwich. If im wrong someone please correct me.
Basically until about a year and four months ago, Epi made a number of guitars with an alder/mahogany or alder/maple mix. These were:
- Special-II
- Studio
- Standard
- Junior
- And all variations on these models except for the Standard Plus Top.
All other guitars were 100% full mahogany bodies (including the Standard Plus Top, Signature models, 56 Goldtop, Custom, the now discontinued Classic, Black Beauty, Ultra, and of course the Elitist series).

Then a year and four months ago, they switched up so now all Standards and Studios use full mahogany too, as does the 100.
- Special-IIs still use an alder/maple mix
- Juniors use 'tonewood', whatever the christ that is. They feel like a lump of Indonesia's finest plywood to me...

Until about three months ago, Epiphone legally had to still list their guitars as being made with the old mixes, as not all of the older guitars had been officially sold, i.e. some old ones were still sitting on shelves in stores and in warehouses, so Epiphone had to keep listing the old materials.

However, now every single one of the old instruments has been officially sold, so they're now allowed to list the relevant guitars as being made with just mahogany, even though this has actually been going on for a fair bit longer than they've been listing it.

Bottom line is, if you have any of the five types of Epi LP I mentioned above, and it's more than a year and a bit old, then you've almost certainly got a mahogany/alder mix. If you've got one of them (Junior and Special-II aside) which is less than a year old, you'll definitely have the full mahogany.

Quote by shining
Just wondering if anyone could compare the epiphone studio vs. the standard. Which one is the better sounding one?

The Standard by a long. long way. Studios are where the low-end Epi's start, and you should never touch one unless you're really desperate for an Epi LP and really have no chance of getting any extra money for a Standard.
Unless it really is your one and only option, never buy a Studio, Junior, Special-II or 100. A Standard should be the minimum you bother with.

And for the record, the Gibson Studios are awful too.

Quote by Selin
While we're all talking about epi les pauls, Anyone have any thoughts on the LP-100? i found an older one at a local shop and thought it played pretty well considering the price. It was a vintage sunburst which actually looks good in person. For $195 is it worth it?
No, no, no no no, no no, no no.
Quote by Ippon

A MIJ Epi is also a great buy ... awesome quality and if you care for the looks, an Alpine White with the open book headstock + multi-ply binding like the Gibsons.

do they come with that head stock?? the open book? I thought epis didnt use those...
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
Quote by the-kid66
and dont get the standards because theyre crap

I've got a standard and i'd have to say, it'd a really nice guitar. Good tone, fast neck, and at a reasonable price.
~ Gear ~
Epiphone Les Paul
Crate GX-80
Quote by Guitarist132
Finish the quote

"This is _______"
Quote by Aqua Dementia
SPAAAAAAAARRRRTTTAAA! No?
Quote by Guitarist132
Incorrect, the correct answer was papua new guinea

Quote by Aqua Dementia
Whoa, I'm in your sig.