Ok, here's my situation.

At school, on November 12th, they're having a veteran's day program, and me and the two guys that I jam with were asked to play songs for the slideshows. These Slideshows represent the wars that have went on and are still going on.

It really works through the timeline, so WWII, Vietnam, 9/11, and then Iraq, each having their own 10 minute segments, so we would change songs as the segments did.

So here is our song selection so far:
WWII - ?
Vietnam - ?
9/11 - Sacrificed Sons - Dream Theater(We have a piano player helping us out on this one, and a 5 foot tall Petrucci thats in the 8th grade, so we should be good.)
Iraq - Foo Fighters - Hero and another song to fill the remaining 6 minute slot.

People say "Hey, Why don't you write one since you're good at it." My answer to them is I'm only good at writing progressive metal stuff like DT and Symphony X, I can't write a song that will just have the balladesque feel to it, my songs have mood swings.

Any suggestions would be appreciated for the WWII, and Vietnam themes.
Now I dont know of any songs that you can do, but I do want to warn you, keep in mind there will be old people there who have fought in those wars and you want to keep it respectful. Just be sure not to pick songs that may offend anyone and you want songs that people can really think too and be solemn with.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
vietnam should be some doors MAAAAAAN. Honestly if you saw "Apocalypse Now" you wouldn't even flinch, you'd just do it. For WWII something 30s-esq may come off as a parody, or just being a jerk, so try something instrumental that is possibly heavy. Consider some blues, or maybe a trick bass solo?

Good Luck! P.S. a song in the Army I loved to listen to was "So Far Away" by Staind on their 13 shades of grey album. Talk ****, but that song still stops me in my tracks. Highly recommend it for the Operation Iraqi Freedom side.
For Vietnam, I'd say Rooster by Alice In Chains
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
what about the korean war... sigh.

i'd just go for some really mellow, somber stuff. doesn't need to be as directly associated with the topic (like sacrificed is to 9.11) just needs to fit the mood.
Vietnam - War Pigs

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Uh, personal opinion here - I don't think Metallica, Alice in Chains, or Black Sabbath would be very good choices. ><

For World War II, maybe do Leonard Cohen's The Partisan. For the Vietnam War, maybe do Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction. It's more of a historical nostalgia than a military ode, though.
Quote by yawn
Uh, personal opinion here - I don't think Metallica, Alice in Chains, or Black Sabbath would be very good choices. ><

For World War II, maybe do Leonard Cohen's The Partisan. For the Vietnam War, maybe do Barry McGuire's Eve of Destruction. It's more of a historical nostalgia than a military ode, though.

Thats exactly what I was getting at in my post.

I would personally change those up (btw, cohen ftw!)
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
use All Along the watchtower.. i know i always fit that with vietnam.

if your doing 1 Foo song, and you have a piano player, you could end it with one of their new ones Home it's all piano, but it might just fit. give it a listen.
here's what i would do-

WWII - Manic Depression by hendrix
Vietnam - Famous Last Words by my chemical romance
9/11 - Imagine by john lennon
then Right Now van halen
Iraq- Wake Up by Coheed and cambria
then Home by Daughtry (at end of song show a face of a soilder smiling)

thats all i got. i know weird list but those are some cool songs that could be done like really cool.
Quote by Cobalt Blue
use All Along the watchtower.. i know i always fit that with vietnam.

if your doing 1 Foo song, and you have a piano player, you could end it with one of their new ones Home it's all piano, but it might just fit. give it a listen.
Well, Hero seems to fit, thematically, a little better...
Quote by floyd matt
here's what i would do-

WWII - Manic Depression by hendrix
Vietnam - Famous Last Words by my chemical romance
9/11 - Imagine by john lennon
then Right Now van halen
Iraq- Wake Up by Coheed and cambria
then Home by Daughtry (at end of song show a face of a soilder smiling)

thats all i got. i know weird list but those are some cool songs that could be done like really cool.
I'd stay away from Imagine, it being anti-religion and all (and usually patriotic things like this are sort of the opposite).

I'd also stay away from hard rock like Wake Up.