Can anyone help me out? I need to write a seven minute long speech on power in minorities in the novel 'one flew over the cuckoo's nest' by Ken Kesey. I have no idea what to write about. I've tried sparknotes and thats a little useful... Can anyone point me in the right direction?
...read the novel?
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
You're in luck. Sort of... I was supposed to read that book this summer too, but I didn't. We discussed in class and stuff, so I kinda get the gist of it.

Bascially, what you have to work with is:

The minority would be the insane people in the asylum. Called the Acutes. They started out as conformists following the orders of the sole authority, her name is Big Nurse. With the addition of another character, called McMurphy, he builds upon their unity and helps them think for themselves and try to overpower the Big Nurse.

A classic example would be when McMurphy tries to start a vote to be able to watch the World Series baseball game. They need a majority to win the right, but they are one short. The Big Nurse closes the voting polls just before the Chief (forgot his whole name, he's the indian guy) raises his hand to give them the majority vote. Big Nurse still doesn't allow them to watch the world series.

McMurphy is stubborn, and he turns on the TV. (Nothing but static). He starts making commotion about it, and narrates a baseball game as if its being shown. Everybody comes by, and joins in on it. They actually aren't aware of whats going on, but copies McMurphy because, well, they're insane. They have a lot of fun, and in a way, they beat authority by still getting what they want.

Another example would be when McMurphy gets into a vegetated state and is seen as weak by the others. The Acutes then kill McMurphy. It shows that they don't want to be seen as weak, fragile and defenseless.

Basically, what you want to look at is how the insane people triumph or show defiance to the authority of the asylum.

Sorry man, thats all i really got out of it. Hope that helps and good luck!
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Sorry for the double post/thread bump but I worked hard to help this guy out. At least let me know if it helped you at all.
Quote by Lil Macker
I voted 9, cause I would only let my mum give me a handjob...

Quote by brennsy
SathiaSun for president

Un-Banned! Boy, does it feel great to be back.
Join the Bear Grylls Foundation group!
Do you have to draw parallels between the novel and connections in real life?
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9