Which would be better for blues, metal, classic rock, all that sorts of stuff.
The Fender FR stratocaster?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-FR-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=517910

Or the PRS SE custom?
http://www.music123.com/Paul-Reed-Smith-SE-Custom-Electric-Guitar-519370-i1150570.Music123

Btw, I know that the trem on the fender is not a full floating floyd.
they both sound quite different, so a comparison between the two can't really be made.
if you can, try them both out for yourself.
i, personally, would choose the se custom...but i just love prs, and that se model has surprised me with how good it sounds.

edit: is the fr really important to you? how about a non-fr equipped strat? perhaps sss? the deluxe players strat sounds quite good for the price. and, though i haven't been too impressed by it, a lot of people around ug seem to like the highway one (there's an hss and an sss version). it's a bit over your budget, though. for blues and classic rock, especially, i'd look into those.
Last edited by climhazzard at Oct 9, 2007,
In this case the Fender. The stock pickups in the PRS that low on the food chain are rather eh... You could always upgrade them with GFS, 'Duncan, Lace, or DiMarzio pickups I suppose (not EMG; for blues that just won't work).

BTW have you considered the Fender Showmaster? It's probably the best compromise between those two with the two-post trem, locking tuners, HH configuration, and it comes standard with Seymour Duncan (Pearly Gates bridge and a matching, reverse-polarity neck).
Last edited by RadioMuse at Oct 9, 2007,
The fr isn't really important, I just know it would have better stability than the other other strat trems.
I'm fairly certain I want the Prs, its just that this guitar caught my eye.
I haven't tried one out yet, but i'm going to the local guitar store sometime and they have a bunch of prs's and fenders so maybe I'll get to make a good comparison.
And I don't want a SSS strat, cause I want a humbucker for sure.
you will love the prs i got 1 and cant put it down, get many different tones with that baby
ibanez rocks
Quote by RadioMuse
In this case the Fender. The stock pickups in the PRS that low on the food chain are rather eh... You could always upgrade them with GFS, 'Duncan, Lace, or DiMarzio pickups I suppose (not EMG; for blues that just won't work).

BTW have you considered the Fender Showmaster? It's probably the best compromise between those two with the two-post trem, locking tuners, HH configuration, and it comes standard with Seymour Duncan (Pearly Gates bridge and a matching, reverse-polarity neck).

How well does the trem hold tune? I'm going to abuse it a lot probably. I saw that too, but the basswood body throws me off, because my 7 string is basswood. Even though my 7 string has bad pickups and hasn't been played through a good amp...

So now I guess, the Fender Showmaster or the PRS SE custom?
I'd go for the PRS, a mahogany body with maple top is probably the best combo for your styles. Besides a strat + fr will probably = crap sustain.
I've been largely unimpressed by every PRS SE Custom I've ever played. They've had very poor resonance and almsot seemed toylike.

I'd suggest taking a look at a Michael Kelly Valor.

Spectacular guitars for the price.

The FR on that Strat might be a little dodgy, if you really want a good FR for a cheap price, take a look at a Floyd Rose DSOT-3. It's got an OFR for a really low price .

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
I know your not supposed to go by looks or anything, but I just hate the way Michael Kelly's look.

Well, do you think a higher model Agile LP would be a good Idea? Better than the Prs?
Of the first two, Fender definitely - I've never been a big fan of PRS. They don't sound or feel right to me.

I've heard good things about agile, and those specs seem be pretty good but I cant say anything for sure about it.