Lately I've been listening a lot to these three bands. They're 3 Krautrock bands from Germany, in their prime in the 60s and 70s. A lot of it is very experimental music and way ahead of it's time. Does anyone else know of them? I hear that they are incredibly influential. I found out about them knowing that they are an influence on Radiohead and many many other alternative/indie bands. In fact, I think the band Spoon got their name from a Can song, called Spoon. Just want to know if anyone here is an expert in Krautrock cause I'm pretty much a noob, having acquired their albums only two weeks ago.
'Spoon' is one of the more famous Can tracks, but my favourite is by far 'Vitamin C'. "Hey you! You're losing, you're losing, you're losing, you're losing your, vitamin C, your vitamin C". Absolute classic track.
Apparently, so one of my lecturers told me, they were students at a German university (I think Cologne) and Karlheinz Stockhausen was their lecturer (very influential man as well in regards to avant-garde, check him out) and the first thing Can ever recorded was by breaking into his studio in the middle of the night and Stockhausen didn't know anything about it.

Neu! are fantastic, prefer their music as a collection to Can's. The self-titled and '75' are both truly amazing albums, but not the best of the era.

I can't recommend 'Cluster & Eno' enough, that is one of my favourite ever krautrock albums. Roedelius and Moebius are absolute legends (see 'Cluster 71' and 'Musik von Harmonia' to back that up) and Brian Eno, well, don't really have to say much about him do I?

Kraftwerk I'm not actually a huge fan of. I can appreciate their influence on techno and on electronic music in general, but they just don't do much for me.

Recommendations: Faust, Popol Vuh, Ash Ra Tempel, Guru Guru, Silver Apples, Tangerine Dream and my favourite, Kaputter Hamster.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Kraftwerk is the most underrated band in the history of music.
Quote by DorkusMalorkus
Aw, I don't think this should be in Other. Move it back!!!!?

Why would it be alt & indie?
Yeah, some of it is slightly experimental, but if anywhere it should go in the prog forum or here.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Can are amazing. They were so ahead of their time it's just unbelievable, my Dad has most of their records and when he first showed me them I remember thinking how innovative they were for the time.

I have only heard a bit of Kraftwerk, they sound pretty good.
Just noticed that Faust's self-titled album has been re-released on vinyl by Lilith records! Wahoo. Been after that record for ages now and haven't really wanted to spend £40/50 on it, just hope that they've kept the same amazing packaging as the original. It looks right from the photos at least.
If you want an oddity I'd highly recommend picking it up. They've also been re-releasing some of the Cluster/Harmonia records this year as well, so I really hope they decide to go down the Amber Soundroom path and pick out some of the less known releases.

RateYourMusic
Quote by sargasm
Kraftwerk is the most underrated band in the history of music.

+1
They one of the forfathers of electronic music.
NO ONE EVER READS MY POSTS.
I'm loving Tago Mago by Can, that's the first album I got, it has a lot of hooks. I really really like the drum beats in the songs, particularly Oh Yeah!. And Peking O is one of the weirdest songs I think I've ever heard, but its still cool. It reminds me of a psychotic Mickey Mouse on crack with a jackhammer.

I will definitely check out all the of the recommendations that people made. I'm also really interested in John Cale's catalouge, particularly his darker albums. Him and John Cage as well. Also, has anyone ever heard of Glenn Branca? He's supposedly a huge influence on Sonic Youth that I want to check out.
Old thread, but I just recently fell in love with two of these bands; Can, but most of all, Neu!. Neu's self-titled is a masterpiece, and Negativland is just so damn gorgeous. Love the motorik beat in both that one and Hallogallo. Just, amazing. So far, it's the only album by them I've heard, but I'm definitely gonna get a hold of another album. So any recommendations are welcome.

Can are also really good. So far I've only got Tago Mago, but I've heard that Ege Bamyasi is the better album out of the two. Is this true? Ayways, Paperhouse is an amazing track, and so is Peking O. All in all, a really good album.
'Neu 75' is their absolute classic. You can't really go wrong though.

'Ege bamyasi' is Can's most accessible, not necessarily their best. 'Tago Mago' is just as good.

RateYourMusic
IEM is pretty good. Steven Wilson's (of Porcupine Tree) krautrock inspired sideproject
I absolutely love Can and Neu! but could never get into Kraftwerk. I quite like the Man-Machine though.

My favourite Neu! album is Neu 75 but their first album is great as well. Out of the two bands, I prefer Can best. I've only got three Can albums - Tago Mago, Ege Bamyasi and Future Days but they're all amazing. I'd probably recommend them in that order but Future Days is incredibly underrated, IMO.
Last edited by xX*Zeppelin*Xx at Jun 11, 2008,
Quote by Andrewbiles

Kraftwerk I'm not actually a huge fan of. I can appreciate their influence on techno and on electronic music in general, but they just don't do much for me.

have you listened to there first records Kraftwerk 1 or Kraftwerk 2? if not, you should check it out. not like there other stuff, much more in the realm of krautrock experimentation. i also love radioactivity. . . but anyway, try out there first two records i think you'll like them.

and as people have already mentioned you should definitely look into Faust.

and a band that started in '77 called "This Heat" heavily influenced by krautrock and tape manipulation, really good stuff!

also, like Andrewbiles said you really should look into stockhausen as the guys from can and kraftwerk (and neu!) were trained under him. not the simplest listen but well worth it!! incredible incredible incredibly stuff!
Kraftwerk My father introduced them to me and they have some nice beats.. we always play them when we're on a long car trip
~And the raindrops in the cars

Keep on falling from off the bars

Blocking out a good song

Playing on the radio~
I love Kraftwerk and Neu!, but Can doesn't really do it for me.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
has anyone been to one of damo suzuki's music improvisation gathering things? it was in town last year i think, but i never appreciated can until lately.
Quote by somewhat_here
has anyone been to one of damo suzuki's music improvisation gathering things? it was in town last year i think, but i never appreciated can until lately.

no i haven't. does he do these often? and does he tour north America with it?
Can is pretty much amazing. Future Days is my favorite album, despite all the love for Tago Mago and Ege Bamyashi (which are both great albums as well). I don't care much for Kraftwerk but I haven't heard much Neu! I've been looking to explore Krautrock for a while now, anyone want to give me some good bands and albums to listen to?
just picked up 'future days,' definitely a different vibe from 'tago' and 'ege' but i'm liking it. also, listened to faust s/t this past week and...does. not. com. pute. any of their other albums to recommend?
It's cool to see how much my music taste has changed since I posted this thread.

So after going through a long journey of krautrock, I do like Can, but not as much as everyone seems to be hyping them up. Neu! I think, however, is fantastic. All three albums of theirs are home runs. I also really love Kraftwerk, but in its own way. They aren't really a typical krautrock band (at least the popular stuff), but their music is very very emotional and raw, which is ironic since it's very electronic. I checked out Brainticket, that was interesting...but still something I'd listen to when I'm in the mood. I think Embryo's Steig Aus is amazing. Faust was another band I really liked, but not as much as others might. Guru Guru rules, Ash Ra Tempel rules, Hawkwind rules (similar vein I suppose), Popol Vuh amazing, and Xhol Caravan rules. Amon Duul II is one of my favorites, Yeti is an amazing album. And I just, just downloaded Kaputter Hamster so I'll have to check that out. But by far my favorite, favorite krautrock band was the first Amon Duul. That tribal, raw, freakout music somehow touched a nerve with me. To me it captures the spirit of rock in it very well, at least what rock is to me.

But now I'm listening a lot to folk music and folk-rock: John Fahey, Fairport Convention, Pentangle, Magic Carpet, just to name a few.