I want the 85/81 set but not the price tag like most people out there what are my options? I know of two....Guitar Heads and Dragon Fire....any others out there?
My Gear:

Epiphone
Zakk Wylde Custom Bullseye
Silvertone Sunburst Strat Copy
S101 Standard Black Strat Copy
Boss Distortion DS-1 F/S!!!
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Soon: Roland Cube 20x
are you looking for pups with similar specs?

and has anyone told you that active pickups will do nothing to your sound with that spider?
within you lay everything
every key
every secret

untouched and in plain sight
Quote by staticoverdub
are you looking for pups with similar specs?

and has anyone told you that active pickups will do nothing to your sound with that spider?

not exactly.....it will change the sound but for the worse.
WTLTL 2011
dude ur actually happy with a spider? well i guess thats just u...

oh and to stay on topic, try duncan blackouts, their new and not much cheaper than emg's but their worth a try
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
LOL I fuggin hate my spider! It was good at first but no it just sounds MUDDY as HELL! Im going to sell it and get a Roland Cube 20x or even a 15x just for the bedroom I dont gig so anything else is just over kill......anyone want a like new spider 3??? LOL!
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Quote by Bull_Chit
LOL I fuggin hate my spider! It was good at first but no it just sounds MUDDY as HELL! Im going to sell it and get a Roland Cube 20x or even a 15x just for the bedroom I dont gig so anything else is just over kill......anyone want a like new spider 3??? LOL!

Then just save your money. The EMGs won't do anything positive for your tone, as long as you're using a solid state or a modeler.

Use the money you save from not buying new pickups on a new amp...Don't get the 20x, btw. Just go up to the Roland Cube 60 or something...
The 20x and 15x both (no amp modeling).

Get the Microcube or the 30x.

You most likely don't need active pickups.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Strat copy.....Zakk Wylde Sig.....Siper amp....

What you really need is an MG half-stack, it's br00tal.
^^^yeah that would be sweet! I thought the 15x and the 20x had modeling....hmm the micro is too small and the 30x is to big......crap!!! Now what?
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Quote by TJM2482
Strat copy.....Zakk Wylde Sig.....Siper amp....

What you really need is an MG half-stack, it's br00tal.

...............**** are you on drugs really i would rather play live with a spyder than an mg half stack seriously dude the mg poo's cats and dead babies
mg=suckage
spider>marshall mg
FOR METAL
cube>spider
FOR ROCK AND ETC
vox valvetronics>spider

happy? me too
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
well i dont play live and never plan to.....but yea the cube is in the works....for sure!
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Quote by Bull_Chit
Dont get the 20 or 15, they both dont have effects or COSM modelling, so they are not very good.
Quote by Bull_Chit
^^^yeah that would be sweet! I thought the 15x and the 20x had modeling....hmm the micro is too small and the 30x is to big......crap!!! Now what?

The Microcube is louder than you think, and the Vox AD15VT- XL valvetronix is a great amp as well.
Quote by Bull_Chit

How is it too big? It's a solid state amp. It sounds pretty much the same at low levels as it does as mid-high levels...Hell, if I were you, I'd get the 60, just so I'd be set if I ever got a drummer.
^Why? For metal, it's hard to get a GOOD and versatile tube amp at a lower price tag. With a 60 watt SS modeler amp, he'll have tons of tones at his hand, and he'll be ready for a drummer, once he gets that good.

Besides, it's not like you have a tube amp...There's such a thing as a good solid state amp, you know.
^ How dare you suggest the tube bandwagon might be over-rated? HERESY!

Anyways, regarding active pick-ups and solidstate amps, my EMGs sound nicer through a solidstate then the stock pick-ups in my guitar did. Perhaps not 'OMFG!!! <fapfapfap> I LOVE THIS TONEE!!!' better, but they're definitely clearer, less muddy, with better note definition. Mind you, there's a reason everyone says Epi stock pick-ups suck...
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Quote by FRDesign
I wouldn't get an SS amp above 30W.

Tube FTW

your such a poser dude... hahaha

solid state isn't that bad. they are even preferable to tubes in some situations. like when you want to turn down... or save money for things other than guitar...
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Get a tube amp and an EQ pedal. Then your tone wont suck.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
A cube 60 would be nice BUT cash is alittle on the short latly and if i sold my Line 6 then Im not to far off from a 20x but if there is no FX screw that then...a mirco is too tiny looking too i ment ....kinda feel like a little kid playing a ZW through it i guess its just me....LOL anyway my line 6 will hit ebay here soon....any takers LOL!
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

hey guys looked at the Roland site the 20x has FX and COSM......just no r-fier....the 15x has nothing so that out 100% now....http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=821&ParentId=57
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

I really suggest you hit Craigslist up. I got my Mesa MKIII for 600 bucks. People on Ebay are selling them for like 1000. I'm sure you can get some other tube amp for much cheaper.
My Band

Equipment:
ESP EC-500 EMG 81/85
Mesa Boogie MK III
Marshall 1960B cab
Quote by Bull_Chit
hey guys looked at the Roland site the 20x has FX and COSM......just no r-fier....the 15x has nothing so that out 100% now....http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?ObjectId=821&ParentId=57

Well look at the names for the 20x's models:

ACOUSTIC, OVERDRIVE, DISTORTION, METAL, METAL STACK, TUBE DRIVE

And then the names of the 30x's models:

ACOUSTIC, BLACK PANEL, BRIT COMBO, TWEED, CLASSIC STACK, METAL STACK, R-FIER STACK, DYNA AMP

I think the 20x just has different gain stages like the 15x.

*shrug*
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Harley Benton and a metal muff
I think everyones going over the top about how bad SS amps are, there not like " oh no I turned it on, the worlds going to end if I turn it above 8!"
I admit they won't do much for your tone because they can't drive a SS like they can a tube amp, but still, I'm glad I replaced my Epi's stock pickups, even on my old SS it sounds lots better
Thats my opinion though...
but the 20x has fx's like flang,trem,phaser....and so on the 15x does not.....does the 30x have the power squeezer? thats what i really need too.....hmmm
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

well for the bedroom levels and the fact that landlords live downstairs (upper duplex) and my spider 3 shakes the floor at low levels and with the volume down the tone really sounds bad....the only time it sounds half a$$ is well its ground pounding loud....thats why the squeezer is so tempting taht way It will sound like "CD" levels....also the 60 is a lot more money and I trying to stay close to the 150 mark that way Im not that far off when I sell my spider....Hey how do you cut the your beer bottle slides???
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Quote by Bull_Chit
well for the bedroom levels and the fact that landlords live downstairs (upper duplex) and my spider 3 shakes the floor at low levels and with the volume down the tone really sounds bad....the only time it sounds half a$$ is well its ground pounding loud....thats why the squeezer is so tempting taht way It will sound like "CD" levels....also the 60 is a lot more money and I trying to stay close to the 150 mark that way Im not that far off when I sell my spider....

The power squeezer is a gimmick...And your Spider 3 just sounds bad, well, because it sounds bad. I'm saying, get the 60, because then if/when you start/join a band, you'll be able to keep up with a drummer, and you won't need to upgrade.

Quote by Bull_Chit
Hey how do you cut the your beer bottle slides???

With a hacksaw.
EMGs also did wonders for my recorded tone using my PODXT replacing stock ibanez pickups so.......
My Gear

Ibanez J Custom RG8570Z-BX - BKP Warpigs
ESP Eclipse II Full Thickness - BKP Nailbombs
Fender Mexican Strat - BKP Trilogy Suites.

Axe FX II - Matrix GT1000FX - Rocktron All Access.

Stinnett M7 in the works
If you don't want to spend the big bucks and want effects go for the cube 60 as said before its going to last you longer and has a lot of the stuff you want.And the power squeezer doesn't really matter, just get headphones if you need that low of volume.
^ do you like you 20x? like said b4 i have no need for a 60 if anything maybe a 30 and thats a BIG maybe! I 0 intention of ever joining a band EVER and if I do well then I will get a big and better amp.....I used haedphones with my other amps and that sucked my ears hurt like hell after thats what I want to get out of So once the spider sells (its on ebay) here come a 20x....
My Gear:

Epiphone
Arion Metal Master
Line 6 Spider III
15w P.O.S

Could probably pick up a used set of EMGs for around $100... just sayin.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H