Page 1 of 2
I have a dilemma. I was going to play Orion for the school variety show (it's in a month) but our bassist backed out of the act to play another song that his girlfriend wants to sing. (she ain't exactly velvet voiced, it's gonna suck)

Anyway, looks like I'm gonna have to do something else. I'd like to play Canon Rock, but I have no experience sweeping. Do you think I can learn it in a month?
If you're pretty good at playing already, and you have plenty of time to practise, you can make a convincing attempt.
No way, too hard for one month. I've been sweeping for a few months and it took me ages before I could do the sweeps in Canon
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
If you've never done sweeping, no i wouldn't waste my time trying to learn it in one month.
I've been learning sweeping for months on and off, I still can't get 3 string sweeps perfect
started learning to sweep when id been playin a year, took me about a month to get the basics of it sorted, meant that i could do 6 string sweeps at a constant pace (not gentaro like speed or anything) but at a speed that felt nice. but to be honest i think the easiest way (if you have tabs) is find the bit thats sweeping, and start learning it, if within a few days your not getting it, it aint gonna work
It'll be very tough, but if you work really hard you might have a chance, just don't expect it to be perfect
Gear List

Guitars
PRS SE Tremonti
Ltd Mh-100qmnt
Peavey Rotor ex
Crafter Acoustic

Amps
Bugera 333
Bugera 412h

Effects
Marshall Shredmaster
Line 6 MM4
Line 6 DL4
Ibanez Weeping Demon
Dan Electro Fish'n'chips
Ibanez LU-10
Maybe it's just me but I found Sweep picking to really easy I learned it in about two days on three strings and then almost 2 weeks for full barre chords if you're like me than it won't take that long.
Gear
Fender Stratocaster MIM
Jackson DX10
Epiphone Les Paul Custom (neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz, Bridge: Seymour Duncan Distortion)
Marshall Mg50dfx
Digitech Metal Master
Crybaby 535Q
Is this crystal clear with correct muting or just blaming out the notes?
I could sweep in 2 weeks, cleanly though...no, that took months.
Current Gear
Ibanez RG1570 - Going bye bye
Jackson DK2 - Eventually will be replaced with Maton Mastersound
Peavey valveking 212
Various EHX and Boss effects
That's where I still struggle, still don't have the picking hand motion perfected, so the muting is dodgy
well, 3 string, like 1-2 days, ive been practicing 5 string sweeps for atleast 1 month, its ok, all i need to do is get rid of the unwanted noise, just practice it slowley then build up speed

What Goes Up

Must Come Down
No I've looked at offical tabs for that song... And I'm sure that if you aint sweeping now their is no chance you'll be able to play this song... Better off learning no boundries... wait no still too much sweeping... yeah your screwed dude...

Just do like Hey their delihla
I have like 1 year practicing sweep picking and i still suck. But maybe is just me.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
I've been trying to learn it for a few months now, but I just can't move my left hand fingers fast enough. I'm just too inexperienced I suppose. I've been playing for a little over 2 years now. Maybe I've just broken my fingers too many times or something but what ever.

I've just been practising scales and alternate picking & string skipping riffs, those seem to have helped my sweeping speed a bit.
WTLTL 2011
Cleanly, in a month?

Depends how fast you want to go, but even Canon Rock speed it will be incredibly difficult.
I've been practicing sweeping for about 6 months now and i still suck at it, listen to my sweep picking skill on my profile.

3 string sweeps can be harder, as it requires more work in the picking hand, but 5 string sweeps have more work for the fretting hand.
Really depends what you get good at.
yeah man, i'm still learning on how to sweep
i've been learning to sweep for about a year, and it's getting a lil easier.
it's still hard making each individual note sound clean, that'll take alot of time.

there's like NO way of learning how to sweep good enough in a month, for a preformance!
you should just stick with what your good at now and take your time learning sweeping later
Took me a few months to learn how to do it properly, you will be able to start doing it pretty quick but you really takes time to lay solid foundations..

I think you need to hang out with a great blues rock player, like most shredders, after a while you'll see how all pretty much 90% of shred sounds crap when ompared to a wailing rocker! at a gig the only people who get the "shred" are other "shredders" lol.. Having said that practicing shred lays good foundations for when a player develops a real style..

If you reckon your good enough to try cannon rock though, why not try surfing with the alien, much more fun to play!
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
Seriously, if its within the month and you havnt had much experiance in sweeping, dont bother with it. Or, just play most of it without the sweeping, it sounds quite decent without all that.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
Well, having read this, I think I'll probably have to figure out another song, I doubt I'll learn it properly in a month...

Can anyone think of any other songs? I have a hard time singing while I play so that's out and I don't have a band... That eliminates pretty much everything. If it turns out that I can't pull anything off then I'll just work towards playing next year, but if you have any suggestions, I'm glad to hear them.
Quote by JackalUK
I've been learning sweeping for months on and off, I still can't get 3 string sweeps perfect

same here

i learnt 3 string sweeps in a couple of hours maybe

then spent a few hours initially getting 5 string sweeps down then just practiced abit everytime i picked the guitar up for a few days
they were pretty good after that

depends how good you are initially
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Ran Custom Invader

Maxon OD9 Pro+
ISP Decimator
Diago Powerstation

Marshall TSL60
Marshall 1960A cab

www.myspace.com/samtewari
Quote by AgentWiggles

Can anyone think of any other songs? I have a hard time singing while I play so that's out and I don't have a band... That eliminates pretty much everything. If it turns out that I can't pull anything off then I'll just work towards playing next year, but if you have any suggestions, I'm glad to hear them.

Backing track? and some Satriani (surfing w/alien!) or Vai (for the love of god)?
Quote by Count Seanula
If you want to solo then solo, if he wants to solo then he should solo, if your bassist wants to solo...slap him
I just watched a youtube vid of surfing with alien -- no way can I do that.

I might be able to pull off The Love of God, but the shred part of it probably not... I could just do the first few mintues though.
Last edited by AgentWiggles at Oct 9, 2007,
i stil cant do the sweeps after a good 7 months of actual trying (off and on)
no teacher but It is hard if it was only 3 string then yeah but canon rock's a bitch at that part
it took me about 2 months to get practicing arpegios slowly, over the next 2 months i started working on the picking technique...and then i got it all down shortly afterwarsds...
i can do 3 and 4 strings perfecvtly, but doing a 5th is mad hard, still practicing that
i listend to alot of avenged sevenfold to help me out with arpegio patterns and the chords that match them

so id say no...you can try to alternate pick the arpegios, but that wouldnt actually be sweeping, id suggest you try a different song or somehting...a month is pointless if your not good already and you never have practice time
if you are good and you have the time,...go for it! it wouln hurt to try
Last edited by berysLTD_h-50 at Oct 9, 2007,
I've been working on sweeps for the past 6 months. They're not perfect but they're good enough.

You could always try the legato arpeggios that Joe Satriani does. You mute with the right hand and do the sweep with the left hand.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by Skynyrd890
What exactly is sweeping?

Pretty much playing chords one note at a time without letting the notes ring out. No picking, but a rake motion across the strings. Lets you play notes blazing fast without picking.
Words to live by: Haters gonna' hate.
I just started sweeping in August, and just recently I have perfected them. I can now learn pretty much most shapes in a matter of minutes and get it up to speed
If you already can Play Canon Rock, but can not sweep, just change the sweeping bit to something else. like maybe hammer on a scale quickly. =S

or play another song.
it took me about 2 days to get the coordination down, then about 1-2 weeks to build up to speed. you need to warm up alot and pick a definite pattern before you get it smooth though. ill never use that **** live or in my band lol. maybe like 2 years down the line haha - it takes some practice, we had band practice today and I thought i was getting it down - so i showed my band mates my progress and they made fun of me and told me i was a crappy guitar player...lol
Depends how long it takes you to get intothe correct motion, when I did after about a week of practice, all I had to do was work on m speed.

But please, for the love of god, don't play that atrocity.
Dickless.
Quote by AgentWiggles
I just watched a youtube vid of surfing with alien -- no way can I do that.

Surfing With the Alien is not hard at all- Stay well away from Canon Rock if you can't do SWTA. To be fair though, SWTA is a lot easier than it looks/sounds.

I would recommend a slow-ish blues song, like some Clapton or Zeppelin (Since I've Been Loving You perhaps?).
Quote by JackalUK

Ditto.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Page 1 of 2