Hi, my first post so don't roast me if i get anything wrong here =/

right, i got a fender stratocaster 5 years ago, before i even got into modern guitar and knew what it was about (grandparent bought it for me when i passed my little classical tobin exam when i was 10).
i got into playing "modern" guitar when i was about 13 and the strat was fine. but now im a little older, most of the stuff i like playing requires more than 21 frets, and requires a bit more of a metally sound to it.
it's not to say the strat isn't a nice guitar, its beautiful infact, the neck is sooo fast and it has a lovely tone and sound... providing u don't play metal on it...

to the point... can anyone reccomend me a good metal guitar between £300 and £600?
previously i was gonna ask wether i should go with an ibanez rg prestige (the 2750e one) or a jackson kvx10 with emg 85's and 81's? thanks for anyone who can help me out, in this time of dire need =)
What kind of amp do you have? You should upgrade your amp if you dont already have a good one.
Upgrade Amp>Upgrade Guitar.
"...And the guy thats on the ground, that needs some help, you dont walk up and kick him. If you do that you better be wearing shoes for a while. 'Cause you know what? Trade places with him.. he'll pick you up." Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ibanez are always reliable...I don't have experience with Jackson.
I own a couple Ibanez guitars, and have played many others.

Ibanez will probably be on this wall 70 percent of the time because they are incredibly cheap and very very reliable.

Check out the Ibanez SZ series too....I got the RG (an older one from 4 years ago)....be careful with the whammy bar on it btw,
Rocking the free world one step at a time!
Quote by Nunavut_Brown09
What kind of amp do you have? You should upgrade your amp if you dont already have a good one.
Upgrade Amp>Upgrade Guitar.

Even with a new amp his strat won't reach metal.

Inevitably you'll end up needing both. But he's asking about guitars so just get one first.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
Quote by Chex
Even with a new amp his strat won't reach metal.

Inevitably you'll end up needing both. But he's asking about guitars so just get one first.

Tell that to Dave Murray
jackson very good and very reliable and for £600 uk, u'll get the range that have the seymour duncans (the rr3 etc) if your into strange effects and stuff then within your budget is also a jackson dinky with a sustaniac, or a gain boost and all sorts of crap. also u can afford the epi zakk wylde if u get a good deal (reidys music shop) or you could get a strat with a humbucker. id go with a jackson tho personally.
Quote by JackalUK
Tell that to Dave Murray

Yes ok I was gonna say you can change pickups but didn't think anyone would pick up on that! :P
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
well the rg prestige is a lot nicer than that kvx...

if you're willing to switch pickups, go with the 1570 instead, it's basically the same guitar bar cosmetics and pickups (<------------ recommended)

you might manage to find a jackson sl3 for that amount of money if you look hard enough (a local shop was selling one of the transparent ones for £629 a while back, though I'm aware that was a pretty awesome price), which'd also be worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look at something like a Jackson DKMG. I think they play just as well as though level of Ibanez Prestige. You could also look for a used SL3 as suggested. Quality wise Jackson wins, as todays Prestige Ibanez as just meh, and not "blow everything else away" like the quality of their early/mid 90s MIJ models. That said, check out a used Ibanez RG550.
i dunno... i tried an ibanez rga121 versus that dkmg, and I thought the ibanez pwned it (granted, it's a different model to the 1570, so may be slightly nicer or something)- however the sl3 was neck and neck, and it was neck preference which would have made the difference there if you ask me.

But i agree with your general assessment of ibanez prestiges getting worse... maybe it's just the ones I've tried which have been played for ages in the shops, but I'd take my 2000 rg470 (MIJ) over most of the rg1570's I've tried. Apart from the useless lo-trs tremolo, of course...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
jackson in my oppinion is the option to go for
seymour duncans on the pro series, fast and comfey necks
all round package

oh and they look tha bomb
ESP LTD EC-1000, 24 frets and its loaded with EMG 81 in bridge and in the neck, 60s
www.espguitars.com
Or a Jackson RR3, 22 frets and has Seymour Duncan JB and jazz in it I think
cool... thanks for helping me out, i think i might go with the Jackson then, and give it the emg81 and 85 pickups.
If anyone strongly disagrees and has a darn good reason for me to get the ibanez prestige, then speak now or forever hold your peace. thanks.
btw i have a marshall MG15
Depends what Jackson, If its not already loaded with EMgs then you have something to consider, if they've got passive pick ups then if you want to put some EMG in its quite a bit of bother and also the money spent doing all this could nearly buy you another guitar. Sorry, just realised your getting the Jackon with the EMGs. Nevermind
Check out Schecter guitars, I've heard they're pretty nice.
Not so sure about reliability, cos I've heard things, but I don't know from personal experience.
And as others have said, Ibanez.
Also look at Jackson Dinkys.
Jono
xXx
Quote by upchuck
cool... thanks for helping me out, i think i might go with the Jackson then, and give it the emg81 and 85 pickups.
If anyone strongly disagrees and has a darn good reason for me to get the ibanez prestige, then speak now or forever hold your peace. thanks.

Sorry mate but that amp is limiting those guitars TO THE MAX.

Also, try them out. Both rule, check out both, don't just buy one.
Get a new AMP, then get a new guitar.

Get the RG1570 and put some Dimarzios in it. Ibanez necks are some of the best playing necks out there especially with the all access neck joint. The Edge Pro trem is a big plus too.

You should seriously try the guitars out somewhere before you buy.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by dx466

don't buy that dinky, you will pay a lot for the skulls. look to that http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/11883

And buy a new amp first, with an mg15, even a high-guitar will sound bad. You could get a ENGL thunder for under £600, I think, and then, you can put a Seymour Duncan Hot Rail in your guitar, and you will get a nice metal sound
Quote by upchuck

you badly need a new amp. What's your current guitar? EDIT: i mean, is it a fender standard strat?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes, current guitar is a fender strat. And, a reply to an ealier post, the jackson kvx10 won't come with emg81and85, ill have tp replace the pickups it comes with (can't remmeber what they're called, ive heard bad things about them)
oh, sorry misread, erm i dunno wether its standard, how do u tell? its a fat strat or something... dunno what that means
does it say "made in mexico" and "Fender" (i.e. not "Squier") on the headstock?

by "fat strat", do you mean it already has a bridge humbucker?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i was going to say you should consider putting a better humbucker in there and spend most of your cash on an amp; however, i missed the bit about 21 frets...

are you able to spend the full £600, though? if so, you could get a nice guitar and amp for that... washburn x50pro and either peavey valveking or windsor studio combo (if you can wait till it's released- and this recommendation is based on the head being good, while the combo may suck!) would be a pretty good choice. Though there are probably other options...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
ok, thanks alot for the help everyone, even tho im more confused now than when i started lol. i think its better if i probably keep an open mind and scout some more guitar shops, judging from the list of guitars i got reccomended, i should ask round a bit more ect. but thanks alot
I am not that big of a fan of the Ibanez RG1570, if you can find an SL3 for a reasonable price then that's another option.

Also if you don't mind headless look into Steinberger. I believe this is in your budget:

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=254

http://www.musicyo.com/product_specs.asp?pf_id=898

You should rename the thread 'Best Metal Amps between £300 and £600?'
Seeing as you badly need a new amp rather than the guitar you should tell us what style you will mostly be playing Rock/Metal/Death Metal etc. fav bands and such. If you really want the best metal rig I would go for a good Bare Knuckle Pickup maybe the Miracle Man or a Warpig for your strat, you could always take the pickup out later, see it as an investment and try and post your budget for a new amp. £500? (The pickup should cost you £100 if you install it yourself) Anyways post what you would like to play most importantly and your budget
Legra
RMC Wizard Wah
Blackstar DistX
Modded SD1
Phase 90
ZVex Fuzz Factory
WH4
Laney VC30 112
Roland MicroCube
YouTube!
Irishman of the Laney Cult