I just realized how much I crack my knuckles and fingers, everytime I have nothing to do I do it, my question is will it affect my guitar abilities over time? And does anyone else do it?

I haven't noticed any change in speed or anything so far, but I'm still a little worried when I do it unconciously.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
It's the popping of air bubbles in your joints, whilst it may not directly cause problems, i'm sure years of pushing you fingers in odd directions like that doesn't help
I do it all the time unfortunately.

It is just popping bubbles of gas in your joints (although I was told that it's a build up of carbon dioxide that pops, not air. Could be wrong though).

Apparently it can cause complications once your joints have started to wear
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
it can cause arthritous which i cant spell, so yeah, im pretty sure its bad for you.
I don't know, I know people who have done that forever and are now like 60 and their hands are fine.
I sell ponies.
AFAIK it's a myth that it can cause damage. But if you do it like a hundred time a day your joints are gonna wear. Not because of the cracking itself but more because of the constant movement. I'm not an expert though!
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
No it does not cause problems, I ask the Dr. one time because i'm always poping and cracking mine. You'll be just fine.
Quote by Dardarian
AFAIK it's a myth that it can cause damage. But if you do it like a hundred time a day your joints are gonna wear. Not because of the cracking itself but more because of the constant movement. I'm not an expert though!

OK, constant movement? It's not like you're moving your hands all day or anything...
I sell ponies.
I've wondered about this myself several times.
I started cracking my knuckles when I was about 12 or 13, started playing when I was 17 and have now been playing getting on for 11 years. No ill effects.

Of course, this doesn't mean I won't in the future.

Edit: I heard originally that it definately did cause damage. Then later I heard it had been proven not to. It's like many things, "scientists/experts" keep changing the official answer as new information is found.
404: Sig not found.
Last edited by ChrisN at Oct 9, 2007,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
it can cause arthritous which i cant spell, so yeah, im pretty sure its bad for you.

No, it doesn't.

That's an old wives tale!
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
The always trustworthy FHM says it doesn't hurt ya. If you can't trust a men's magazine, who can you?
Quote by Hpda5121
im not a racist because racism is a crime, and crime is for black people

Quote by the dave
yeah man I put my hand up their skirt and pick em up like a six pack

Quote by Death_switch
mr bill0ws is right
Athough it is rumoured to cause artheritis, it has never been proved for definate. But if you think about it, what is the point in taking the risk for something that has no benefits?
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
suposedly wears out your joints, besides that you'll just gross out the surrounding people.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I do it all the time, granted i'm only 17, but i have experienced nothing wrong with my guitar ability.
Did everyone crank their knucles when they opened this thread.. i did
Quote by Finnepinne
It was probably a black man who talked. "oh don' go in there gurl, he behind the doh~"

And then got shot.
I crack my knuckles too - I tried stopping one time, but my fingers were all stiff and aching until I cracked them again. And I really doubt it can hurt you in the long run.
I'm a communist. Really.
I used to do it all the time, but my dad scared me into not doing it because of the Arthritis thing.

Now it just feels weird to do it.

Last edited by Your Mother : Today at 03:44 PM
Knuckle-cracking usually has short-term benefits for me... When my fingers start getting too stiff to move fast enough, it loosens them, and I can actually notice a difference...

[IN PHIL WE TRUST]

Quote by Trowzaa
I only play bots. Bots never abandon me. (´・ω・`)

Youre going to get arthritus and have your hands shriveled up and theyll eventually fall off and youll die.

End.
:stickpoke

Baby, if I were biscuits and you were gravy, I'd sop you up

FIGHT IGNORANCE

"I fear for my flesh, but I fear for my spirit even more..."
I cant crack my knuckles anymore, I have rather bad arthritis.
I cant do barre chords very well because my hands lock up.
purple nurple!

Quote by RizzoWashburn
dis meanz yoo can make three p0nx albums!

One that sucks, one that doesn't suck, and one that nobody cares about!
Yes, it will wear away the tissue inside your joints. Not sure what it is called exactly. My grandfather, a pianist cracked his fingers all the time. By the age of 60 he was on heavy pain medication for his fingers, and wearing gloves all the time to keep them warm.

Don't crack anything.
WTLTL 2011
I heard it causes arthritis in your hands when you get older. So, if you want to continue guitar playing until you drop dead, don't crack your knuckles.
Quote by rockergurl09
I heard it causes arthritis in your hands when you get older. So, if you want to continue guitar playing until you drop dead, don't crack your knuckles.

You heard wrong.
It doesn't cause arthritis, it'll wear your joints once you get older maybe...but it's fine when you're young so long as you don't do it too much

It's like chiropracters spend all day cracking peoples backs...and that's in no way bad for you
Some people wait a lifetime, some simply accept...

...Some of us crash land, some of us eject...

...Some restore the blood flow, some just let it go and bleed...

...Some of us obsess, some move on to something new
it doesn't cause any problems, but all the guitar playing my bugger up your joints anyway.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm