hey guys..i use dunlop tortex 1.14mm picks...

and i wear them out pretty quickly...on average, a week and the fastest i wore a pick down was in 3 days...by wear, i mean the side edges of the pick near the edge lose their 'thickness' and i lose the grip i get when picking the strings...

i play alot of metal and some blues...and i practice about 3-5 hours a day...

my question is...is this supposed to happen? do the rest of you who use these picks wear them out as fast as i do?
Quote by mista cricket

Passive pickups? Are there such a thing as aggressive pickup s?

Quote by guitarman015
What is theory?
Try dunlop ultex pics. Made of much stronger material.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
i have the same picks, but my problems a bit different. The grip is ok, but the sides are kinda "scratched". But when you play, try not to do any pick scraping, cuz that screws up the pick rly quickly, so if u have to, just do it when performing. and 3-5 hours a day is quite alot of practising, so that could be one of the main reasons for pick wear
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by musicfreak003
i have the same picks, but my problems a bit different. The grip is ok, but the sides are kinda "scratched". But when you play, try not to do any pick scraping, cuz that screws up the pick rly quickly, so if u have to, just do it when performing. and 3-5 hours a day is quite alot of practising, so that could be one of the main reasons for pick wear

yeah...thats what i meant....not that i lose grip on the picks...
Quote by mista cricket

Quote by guitarman015
What is theory?
I use Fender Mediums and superglue some sandpaper to it for grip. I also sand the picking end slightly so it "grips" the strings.

Just a thought.

Chris
Buy some picks made of a harder material, like Jazz IIIs. They get worn out too, but it takes longer.
Quote by RCShadow
I use Fender Mediums and superglue some sandpaper to it for grip. I also sand the picking end slightly so it "grips" the strings.

Just a thought.

Chris

Thanks, that's a great idea! I've always scratched them up a bit with a knife, but it doesn't work very well.

*runs off to try*
i buy mine in packs of 72 now so when that happens i just chuck em away and grab a new one
POST FINDER
i use my picks, till the tip starts to turn flat, but my main problem is i loose them haha, but yea i have some of those dunlop clear ones, there great last a good while,
Quote by mr_hankey
Location: The land of clogs, windmills, cheese, and marijuana (AKA the Netherlands).

I have seen the phalic fountine in front of a coffee house that "serves" cannibus lol. That fountine really cracked me up! .

Hope the sanding worked...

Chris
I use a new pick for every song. And sometimes it wears down so much, that this happens.

These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
I use a new pick for every song. And sometimes it wears down so much, that this happens.

That's brootal!
I've splattered some blood on my guitars over the years, but that's quite extreme.
Oh yea, don't sand your pick over your guitar...I forgot to mention that
Quote by RCShadow
Oh yea, don't sand your pick over your guitar...I forgot to mention that
Who would do that?
These go to eleven...
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar

looks like a CSI crime scene...DAMN!
Quote by mista cricket

Quote by guitarman015
What is theory?
meh if you have thick picks, try resharpening them

or, i have a brilliant idea. buy new ones.
i have a 'white guitar'
You must be playing extremely hard then. I consider myself to have a pretty hard picking attack, but I've never even worn down a dunlop tortex, they're like indestructable for me. I break and weard down the cheap plastic ones with ease, but the tortex ones last forever for me, but I usually lose them by that time anyway and have to buy more.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I use brass picks, they seem to wear down...never. Interesting tone, too.
I see some say they can use a pick for weeks me one a day is about average. I do the 3-5 hours a day thing to. I see the dust pile up under the strings. But I hit the strings pretty hard. Ive tried most kinds and the donlop and fender(not celluloid) picks are available any any store. Ive been going up in thickness and use the 1mm now. There are times when I can get 2 practice sessions out of a pick. But the floor is littered with the worn down ones. I think it has to do with angle. Some pick parallel to the strings some at a slight bevel. I do the bevel thing and I think that wastes the edge faster. Its plastic against metal what do you want.
Quote by RCShadow

Just a thought.

Chris

I'll go try it right now!
A hero of war, Yeah that's what I'll be

(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)..........(.)(.)
Quote by Roc8995
I use brass picks, they seem to wear down...never. Interesting tone, too.

I'm using steel. They probably wear even less than brass.