My knowledge on pickups is not all that great. Ive been reading something about changing the battery or something in a pickup. Whats that all about? Ive also seen pickups online where it describes there being no battery needed. Any help is appreciated.
Basically, active pickups give a bigger output, so the battery in them needs to be charged, whereas normall pickups just get hooked up into the elctrics...yeah, not a great explanation, but I tired
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
Two main types of pickups typically used in guitars. Passive magnetic coil pickups (usually identifiable by the silver circles across the pickup) ... these are self-dependent and require no battery.

Active pickups are the type that do use batteries. Every once in a while you must put a new battery in your guitar. These pickups basically have an amp built in and power themselves. Some prefer the active pickups because they usually give a more powerful, fuller sound with a better sustain.

basically active are better quality but require a battery, and are more expensive.

I'm no guitar expert so others feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on this information....
basically active are better quality

No. Active doesn't mean better quality it means more output/gain.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void
yeah active pick ups need batteries because the run independently and passive pickups dont cause the run off of the power put through the guitar
active pickups normaly sound good as long as they have fresh batteries but ive heard some really nice passive pickups so neither are really better then the other
Setup

1958 Korina Epiphone Explorer w/Dimebucker(bridge) Seymour Duncan 59'(neck)
Crate xt120r
Boss ME-50 effects pedal
Quote by metalcore123
Two main types of pickups typically used in guitars. Passive magnetic coil pickups (usually identifiable by the silver circles across the pickup) ... these are self-dependent and require no battery.

Active pickups are the type that do use batteries. Every once in a while you must put a new battery in your guitar. These pickups basically have an amp built in and power themselves. Some prefer the active pickups because they usually give a more powerful, fuller sound with a better sustain.

basically active are better quality but require a battery, and are more expensive.

I'm no guitar expert so others feel free to correct me if i'm wrong on this information....

even though i like my active EMG81/85s, active does not always mean better. Because it has such a high output, it is easier to get unwanted noise, especially if paired with an already noisy amp. active pickups are not always more expensive than passive, for example, bareknuckle pickups (passive ones) are more expensive than EMG 81/85s, which are active.
Half Man, Half Bearpig! I am Super Sereal!

Quote by jravolta
Every time the Jonas Brothers play, an innocent in Darfur is killed.

lol diversity in UGers:

Quote by i have to pee
I am not 12, but my sack is still hairless.

Quote by magnum1117
my balls are hairy as chewbacca's...
Quote by metalcore123

nah, not really. better for certain applications, perhaps (and even then, it's debatable).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I find my emg 81-60 pretty much all around. It'll play clean and dirty as they are. The advantages are that the strings are not grounded and they are virtually hum free. Those are big pluses and you also have the high output if desired. Roll the vol back to 7 and it's clean with high definition.

I like these pups in my lp copy (all mahogany). They say you can hear the individual strings and I say they're right.