Page 1 of 2
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=paUniverse_sun14_parallel_universes&show_article=1&cat=0

Parallel universes exist - study
Sep 23 11:33 PM US/Eastern

Parallel universes really do exist, according to a mathematical discovery by Oxford scientists described by one expert as "one of the most important developments in the history of science".

The parallel universe theory, first proposed in 1950 by the US physicist Hugh Everett, helps explain mysteries of quantum mechanics that have baffled scientists for decades, it is claimed.

In Everett's "many worlds" universe, every time a new physical possibility is explored, the universe splits. Given a number of possible alternative outcomes, each one is played out - in its own universe.

A motorist who has a near miss, for instance, might feel relieved at his lucky escape. But in a parallel universe, another version of the same driver will have been killed. Yet another universe will see the motorist recover after treatment in hospital. The number of alternative scenarios is endless.

It is a bizarre idea which has been dismissed as fanciful by many experts. But the new research from Oxford shows that it offers a mathematical answer to quantum conundrums that cannot be dismissed lightly - and suggests that Dr Everett, who was a Phd student at Princeton University when he came up with the theory, was on the right track.

Commenting in New Scientist magazine, Dr Andy Albrecht, a physicist at the University of California at Davis, said: "This work will go down as one of the most important developments in the history of science."

According to quantum mechanics, nothing at the subatomic scale can really be said to exist until it is observed. Until then, particles occupy nebulous "superposition" states, in which they can have simultaneous "up" and "down" spins, or appear to be in different places at the same time.

Observation appears to "nail down" a particular state of reality, in the same way as a spinning coin can only be said to be in a "heads" or "tails" state once it is caught.

According to quantum mechanics, unobserved particles are described by "wave functions" representing a set of multiple "probable" states. When an observer makes a measurement, the particle then settles down into one of these multiple options.

The Oxford team, led by Dr David Deutsch, showed mathematically that the bush-like branching structure created by the universe splitting into parallel versions of itself can explain the probabilistic nature of quantum outcomes.
© Copyright Press Association Ltd 2007, All Rights Reserved.

Thoughts?

----

yeah, this theory is relatively new when you think about it, so to make this kind of claim/discovery is absolutely astonishing. I'm not sure if I believe it to be definitely true...as it said, atome can "appear" to be in two different places at one time, but are they actually? Maybe so. I sincerely doubt we'll find out anytime soon....we still have black holes, etc. to explore fully

It's very hard for humans to grasp...it could take you back to philosophy, really- questioning reality, etc. We know this, here and now, is real (yes, we do..."I think therefore I am", look that up and read if you need....basically the fact that we are able to question reality means that it is real.) But how can we truly believe that another 'reality', almost, exists if we do not experience it?

I don't know...but it's interesting.
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

Last edited by Child In Time at Oct 9, 2007,
According to quantum mechanics, nothing at the subatomic scale can really be said to exist until it is observed. Until then, particles occupy nebulous "superposition" states, in which they can have simultaneous "up" and "down" spins, or appear to be in different places at the same time.

what???
How does that prove it..? I'm confused.
Third out in the MOD contest '08.
Perhaps you should familiarize yourselves with quantum mechanics and this theory.
i*[∂/∂t]*Ψt = -[∇^2]/2*(Ψt) (unitless form)

Almost as convenient as Wikipedia, but infinitely more hipster, Dover.
Quote by Child In Time
Pfft, you youths. My threads are wasted on youth.

You are twenty... umm... that is fairly young. It may not be 13 but you are no where near as bright as the guy who wrote the article you pasted.

OK, for those of you who don't feel like reading that or just don't get it, here's the theory of parallell universes in a nutshell:

There are multiple versions of you. There are multiple versions of the world you live in, of the life you live, of the people you know, of the events you go through. These versions are called parallell universes. In theory, there are an infinite number of parallell universes. Say you are about to make a decision, be it anything from deciding whether or not to visit a friend to contemplating suicide. In this universe, you make decision A. But in a different universe, you make decision B. In this way, every single event, decision, or crossroads has gone both ways.
I sell ponies.
Quote by Child In Time
Pfft, you youths. My threads are wasted on youth.

Now Mr, even though I'm young and I don't understand much of that, shouldn't you write down your own thoughts first about the case rather than asking other? At the moment you're one of us until you can provide some information to prove your superiority compared to us. This is not your thread until you can make it your own, you just copied a text.
How can that possibly be mathematically proven? It says that that is a possibility, the other possibility would be that some things are just random.

I mean, if it's true it would mean that somewhere, the past would be going on right now. Its too big, its impossible.
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
So you claim that parrallel universes exsist in the title of the thread, give evidence that in no way proves that they exsist, and then say that the thread is too intellegent for us?
Yeah thanks for that.
We'll be washed and buried one day my friend
And the time we were given will be left for the world
The flesh that lived and loved will be eaten by plague
So let the memories be good for those who stay
Quote by nophilip
OK, for those of you who don't feel like reading that or just don't get it, here's the theory of parallell universes in a nutshell:

There are multiple versions of you. There are multiple versions of the world you live in, of the life you live, of the people you know, of the events you go through. These versions are called parallell universes. In theory, there are an infinite number of parallell universes. Say you are about to make a decision, be it anything from deciding whether or not to visit a friend to contemplating suicide. In this universe, you make decision A. But in a different universe, you make decision B. In this way, every single event, decision, or crossroads has gone both ways.

But you know, no matter how interesting this is, it serves no real purpose. It's not like we can shift into the other universe if we mess up in one... though the one that prevented me from joining UG is one point in my life I wanna revisit. I've wasted too much of my life here.

Quote by nophilip

That sounds pretty frightening....
Quote by hethamulburton
But you know, no matter how interesting this is, it serves no real purpose. It's not like we can shift into the other universe if we mess up in one... though the one that prevented me from joining UG is one point in my life I wanna revisit. I've wasted too much of my life here.

Yeah, you can't visit them.

Unless you watch Star Trek...
I sell ponies.
Quote by nophilip

We need a star gate!
How long do you think it'll be before this gets accepted by society, y'know, to the point where it's taught in schools as more or less a fact rather than a hair brained theory.

It's really pretty mind blowing.
Quote by nophilip

If only William Shatner had an alternate universe with a more dynamic speaking voice.

Last edited by hethamulburton at Oct 9, 2007,
Translation: That movie, "The One", starring Jet Li, is real.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
I got the theory but I didn't get the evidence
El-Danny

Quote by americnidiot
You keep seeing songs like KoC, SMBH, and Hysteria showing up on games, but I want Micro Cuts on either Rock Band or Sing Star. I want to see numerous masses of kids staring at the tv wondering what the hell they're supposed to do.
hmn i likey, i likey very much. remindes me of an old television show........the on with rembrant i cant remebere the neame it where they group of scientists travel to other parralell universes to try and find thier own....
just so i dont have to edit every post i make, let me clarify something I CANT TYPE WELL....thanks
Quote by eldanny
I got the theory but I didn't get the evidence

That's because the evidence is ridiculously complex and most people don't get.
I sell ponies.
Quote by Naem
Now Mr, even though I'm young and I don't understand much of that, shouldn't you write down your own thoughts first about the case rather than asking other? At the moment you're one of us until you can provide some information to prove your superiority compared to us. This is not your thread until you can make it your own, you just copied a text.

Nophilip did it well enough. I have plans for my classes to work on...

But, yeah, this theory is relatively new when you think about it, so to make this kind of claim/discovery is absolutely astonishing. I'm not sure if I believe it to be definitely true...as it said, atome can "appear" to be in two different places at one time, but are they actually? Maybe so. I sincerely doubt we'll find out anytime soon....we still have black holes, etc. to explore fully

It's very hard for humans to grasp...it could take you back to philosophy, really- questioning reality, etc. We know this, here and now, is real (yes, we do..."I think therefore I am", look that up and read if you need....basically the fact that we are able to question reality means that it is real.) But how can we truly believe that another 'reality', almost, exists if we do not experience it?

I don't know...but it's interesting.

Ok Naem?
Friends, applaud the comedy is over.

I'd dance with you but...

worm holes!!! wait...that only transports you distances =(
nah, there isnt much we can do...sorry =/ so it makes this whole thing pointless.

interesting though, i wonder....in a different universe....am i a massive player...*-)
Quote by hug a llama
Dude, if a title read "penis pics, come on in" I think about 93% of UG would still click on it.

Quote by Burpin'Worm
Nonsense. I'm telling you, nothing makes the fairer sex swoon like an extensive knowledge of siege weaponry and medieval battle tactics.
Quote by A.McGee
hmn i likey, i likey very much. remindes me of an old television show........the on with rembrant i cant remebere the neame it where they group of scientists travel to other parralell universes to try and find thier own....

sliders, 'twas a good show for a while
Quote by A.McGee

Sliders?

Edit: Drat beaten to it. Good show.
Quote by Superpartydude5
How long do you think it'll be before this gets accepted by society, y'know, to the point where it's taught in schools as more or less a fact rather than a hair brained theory.

It's really pretty mind blowing.

Probably never. The mathematical thing doesn't actually prove their existence... for example: String Theory says there are multiple-- and often overlapping universes with many dimensions. There is math behind it, but it is seldom believed.

And to nophilip.... you would have to see the equation and get a rundown on how to interpret it in order to get any evidence out of it.

Observation appears to "nail down" a particular state of reality, in the same way as a spinning coin can only be said to be in a "heads" or "tails" state once it is caught.

According to quantum mechanics, unobserved particles are described by "wave functions" representing a set of multiple "probable" states. When an observer makes a measurement, the particle then settles down into one of these multiple options.

I'm familiar with these sorts of ideas in quantum mechanics and understand them somewhat. I also agree with most of them. But I still haven't seen enough evidence to be convinced that if these theories are true it means that parallel universes exist.

The Oxford team, led by Dr David Deutsch, showed mathematically that the bush-like branching structure created by the universe splitting into parallel versions of itself can explain the probabilistic nature of quantum outcomes

I think I'd need to understand this mathematical experiment in greater detail if I was to be convinced in any way.
Last edited by Makkis at Oct 9, 2007,
That's highly interesting...Somewhere, in some alternative universe, I'm a total crackhead. :p
But seriously, I just don't understand. Is there like, a primary universe, or do subsequent ones just keep on popping up with no origin? Are WE even all on the same plane?
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
Number 9
It is a fanciful theory.

Every minute action by everything from the animals to the wind to the earth and the trees would split the universe up.

Essentially during the first second of existence there would already be an infinite number of parallel universes and another infinite number every millisecond afterwards in each of those.

Silliness.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Thoughts?

I've pretty much thought about this before reading anything about it. I remember once I came close to getting hit by a bus and I often wondered, 'what if I actually got hit in another universe?'
Quote by Rankles
It is a fanciful theory.

Every minute action by everything from the animals to the wind to the earth and the trees would split the universe up.

Essentially during the first second of existence there would already be an infinite number of parallel universes and another infinite number every millisecond afterwards in each of those.

Silliness.

I agree that it is quite a dramatic concept. I look at it as infinity multiplied by infinity, which is, you know, kinda dumb.

**** I'm too tired and this class I'm in is killing my brain.
Last edited by Archaon at Oct 9, 2007,
Quote by Rankles
It is a fanciful theory.

Silliness.

This is what I was thinking - it's been made too much about our own consciousness.

Also, another thing is that the number of universes would be in exponential growth. Each decision spawns say, 100000000 other universes which spawns 10000000 and so on and so on.
Quote by SaXXoN
This is what I was thinking - it's been made too much about our own consciousness.

Also, another thing is that the number of universes would be in exponential growth. Each decision spawns say, 100000000 other universes which spawns 10000000 and so on and so on.

Well, then you have to ask where they go... where/ how do they connect to our universe... etc.

Quote by Rankles

Silliness.

That's kind of what I was thinking. It wouldn't be just "should I turn left or right" that divides the universe... which kinda makes this theory into a big joke. Interesting, but unlikely.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
This is silly, if you ask me. Of course if quantum mechanics are right, then paralell universes COULD exist, but there's no way to prove it, mathematically or any other way. Quantum mechanics sound silly to me anyways. Observed by who? A living being (i.e. humans)? Sounds like yet another religion, putting humans on top of the importance pyramid of the universe, saying that life is something special and different.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Xerothunder
That's kind of what I was thinking. It wouldn't be just "should I turn left or right" that divides the universe... which kinda makes this theory into a big joke. Interesting, but unlikely.

Yes, and what exactly would decide that an event was important enough to split the universe...

Quote by hethamulburton
Well, then you have to ask where they go... where/ how do they connect to our universe... etc.

We're talking infinite exponential growth here.
from.lashes.to.ashes || from.lust.to.dust
Quote by Xerothunder
We're talking infinite exponential growth here.

Or just infinite growth
And what is more, there's been a bloody purple nose and some bloody purple clothes that were messing up the lobby floor. It's just apartment house rules so all you 'partment fools remember : one man's ceiling is another man's floor.
Page 1 of 2