Hey all. I'm set on modding my Mexican HSS strat.

I'm planning on making a very versatile strat, so I'm putting in Fender vintage noiseless or texas specials in the neck and middle slot.

Now, I'm wondering which humbucker to slot into the bridge position. I'm aiming at an 80s glam/hair metal sound. Like Mick Mars from Motley Crue, "kickstart my heart"-ish sounds. However, I also want to be able to reach Megadeth-Anthrax thrash metal sounds. But the Mick Mars sound is mroe important.

So what humbucker should I slot into the bridge? I'm looking at a Dimarzio Evolution or Steve's Special.

Thanks for the help, people.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot. Single humbuckers are also possible. Actually I'd rather have an SSS strat. So Single humbuckers will be great too. Thanks again.
Fender American Vintage '62 Jaguar
Fender Crafted in Japan '62 Telecaster
THD Flexi-50 + Vox V112HTV Handwired Cab
Last edited by lithium26 at Oct 9, 2007,
Seymour Duncan Duncan Distortion?
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Quote by lithium26
Hey all. I'm set on modding my Mexican HSS strat.

I'm planning on making a very versatile strat, so I'm putting in Fender vintage noiseless or texas specials in the neck and middle slot.

Now, I'm wondering which humbucker to slot into the bridge position. I'm aiming at an 80s glam/hair metal sound. Like Mick Mars from Motley Crue, "kickstart my heart"-ish sounds. However, I also want to be able to reach Megadeth-Anthrax thrash metal sounds. But the Mick Mars sound is mroe important.

So what humbucker should I slot into the bridge? I'm looking at a Dimarzio Evolution or Steve's Special.

Thanks for the help, people.

<h1><font color="red">Get a Dimarzio Evolution or Dimarzio Tone Zone or Dimarzio Super Distortion to get the 80s sound and feel.
Actually, I'm also looking at single-sized humbuckers. Please give suggestions! I don't really like HSS, and I want my guitar to look like a "real" strat.

Thanks.
Sounding better is way more important than having your guitar look like a "real" strat (whatever the **** that means).

Hot rails aren't going to get you the tone that you're looking for.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio Air Norton or super distortion. Be a man and embrace your HSS strat! thats a real strat in my opinion.
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
Quote by FacingUsAll
Sounding better is way more important than having your guitar look like a "real" strat (whatever the **** that means).

Hot rails aren't going to get you the tone that you're looking for.

+1

what kinda budget are you looking at? is that strat alder or ash? rosewood or maple 'board?

how much gain does that lc15r have? i've only tried the 30 watter, which is twin channel...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Go for BARE KNUCKLE PICKUPS! They are hand made, and you can always contact them and ask to help you decide.. Tim will help you a lot, and he can also tweak any PU to help you get the tone you need.

Here are some clips of my BK Nailbomb (bridge) and The Mule (neck)

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9682
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9220
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9196

Here's their website:
http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/
Last edited by DV86 at Oct 9, 2007,
^ Bare Knuckles are awesome, a friend of mine has them on his MIA Strat and they sound really good
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
If you're in the UK a Swineshead Warthog....if you're in the US, or in the UK and have lots of money, a Duncan Custom 5..absolutely nails those tones.

The Tone Zone and Air Norton are miles off...however the plain Norton would be a good choice, however I'd take the other two over it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My strat has an alder body, rosewood neck.

The LC15R can go to pretty high gain, metal territory with the tubescreamer or BD-2.

I was aiming for Dimarzios, but some of you guys mentioned SD. I had pretty bad experiences with SD pickups so far, playing some of my friends' guitars. They sound a little cheap IMO. Are they as good as Dimarzios? I'm not very sure. Apologies if i offended anyone.

Also, I'm not sure if Bare Knuckles and pickups of that price is available here in Singapore. I have to ship them in, and that would be pretty darn expensive. I'm saving for a drum set too I can get Dimarzios, SDs, Fender, Gibson, EMGs, etc here.

And I agree that looks is secondary. I am actually a single-coil fan. That's why I have 2 Fenders, and actually want to retain the "Fender look", but you have to compromise something, and I rather compromise looks than tone. I just joined a metal band and I need to upgrade my humbucker. Previously I have been playing in rock bands so I had no problems with my single coils, but I'm not very sure my single coils are gonna cut it. My Jag can get pretty high gain, but can get trebly too.
Last edited by lithium26 at Oct 10, 2007,
ah, ok, i just thought with you having a laney, you might be in the UK. sorry about that.

I'd have said duncans and dimarzios are much of a muchness... i possibly very slightly prefer DM's, but not by much. and at the end of the day, it's possible the duncans you didn't like just didn't suit the tones you prefer, etc. etc.

i'm always a bit wary of recommending specific duncans and dimarzios, as it's so hard to get to try any of the less common ones- I'd listen to steven seagull for those, basically.

EDIT: oh, i think going with a full-sized humbucker is a good idea.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I have an Epi Les Paul with a Custom 5 in the bridge and a Pearly Gates in the neck and it's the leeriest sounding guitar I own...the tone practically smells of old fags and Jack Daniels.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

well it seems like you have a great situation for a killer hi output. i say dimarzio X2N. best metal youll get without getting lame emgs or stealing the tone of a dimebucker. if its more of an old school metal. probably get a duncan dist. but for death/grind. go with the X2N.
Thanks for the responses people. How is the Dimarzio Fast Track? It's apparently bright like a single coil, the way i like it, but has high output. How is it?
As an avid Bare Knuckle user, I won't argue with those who recommend them. Do realize that international shipping isn't horrifyingly expensive when you're considering something the size of a pickup.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Quote by whosamerica
well it seems like you have a great situation for a killer hi output. i say dimarzio X2N. best metal youll get without getting lame emgs or stealing the tone of a dimebucker. if its more of an old school metal. probably get a duncan dist. but for death/grind. go with the X2N.

The X2N is rubbish - all output and no tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc