Can someone tell me how you work out the key of a song? I know the key of G is: Gmaj, Am, Bm,Cmaj,Dmaj and Em. But how do you work this out? isn't the first step supposed to be a whole instead of half? Also can someone tell me what the key for Gminor would be. Thanks.
G maj is G Am Bm C D Em F#dim

so the first step is a whole tone, it would be G# if it wasnt
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join
Quote by mozzay
G maj is G Am Bm C D Em F#dim

so the first step is a whole tone, it would be G# if it wasnt

Yup.

Major. Minor. Minor. Major. Major. Minor. Diminished.
you will fight death as you slowly realize...
For minor the formula is: Imi IIdim bIII IVmi Vmi bVI bVII

So, for G minor would be: Gm Adim Bb Cm Dm Eb F
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Thanks for the replies. So would the key of D be:
D, Em,Fm, G, A, Bm, C#dim?

And the key of Dm be:
Dm,Edim,Fb,Gm,Am,Bb,C ?

Also would 7th and Suspended chords follow the same pattern?
7th and sus are a bit differnent, you can fit them into the major scale and the minor scale instead of a major or a minor chord. if you really want to understand what will fit where you will have to learn your thoery, i know it sounds really boaring but there are some really good lessons on this site that make it pretty simple. i would recomend looking up a lesson on the circle of fifths first then go on to the major scale then move onto your minor scale. trust me, it may seem like you going back to school, but if you want to get better at guitar then its something you need to do

and your Dmin is right apart from the Fb, if you flatten the f# it becomes an F not an Fb or E#
the pic theif strikes again

Member #1 of im not a member of anything, and i dont wanna be. PM me to join
Last edited by mozzay at Oct 10, 2007,
Seventh chords

Major Key
Imaj7 iim7 iiim7 IVmaj7 V7 vim7 viim7b5

Minor Key
im7 iim7b5 bIIImaj7 ivm7 vm7 VImaj7 VII7

Note that in a minor key the v (minor) is often replaced by a V (major), and thus V7 instead of vm7. This gives better resolution to the i.

For suspended chords, look at the notes that make up the key, look at the notes that make up the chord. If they match up it will sound good. But feel free to experiment.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums