i cant help but feel alot of amps seem to have an almost layer of sheen ontop of their sounds. the way a mesa has the liquid gain sort of sound. i currently have a valveking 112, which ive put groove tubes and an eminence legend in but i think its time to step up in the amplifier world. what im after is something edgy, and very raw sounding. not meaning overly harsh or trebly sounding. its hard to describe. one amp i heard that came closeish was the krank rev. but the gain sounded a bit fizzy and it seems theyre a bit of a rip off for what they cost.
i have about 800£ sterling to pay for this head. and im aiming for about 50 watts. any help appreciated
Marshall VINTAGE MODERN !!!

or something from Laney i guess, the vh100r is awesome
I think you mean the classic 'british' sound, ala marshall, orange etc.

They all have a raw, gritty crunchy overdrive.

Orange rocker 30 combo, I think its a Tad over your budget new (but WELL worth it IMO) but second hand you can get it easy.

Also marshall jcm800 is reasonably raw and gritty.
An Orange rocker 30 is under your budget, that'll do you.

Or a JCM800 cranked.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by MrCarrot
What styles do you want?

napalm death, converge, so grindcore/math metally
so not exactly classic british, but i do quite like the voicings of some of those amps. im having a look at the orange now. it might just be the samples, but it still seems very wet sounding. i was thinking maybe a drier grittier sound
Quote by Def
napalm death, converge, so grindcore/math metally
so not exactly classic british, but i do quite like the voicings of some of those amps. im having a look at the orange now. it might just be the samples, but it still seems very wet sounding. i was thinking maybe a drier grittier sound

Maybe a jcm 900?
I haven't played it myself but people I've talked to claim it to be "raw".
Last edited by Guitarmike123 at Oct 9, 2007,
Orange doesn't have enough gain for those tones I wouldn't of thought, not that I've tried with mine tbh lol. Maybe look at an Engl? Ive always thought the dirty channel on a Screamer had a kind of 'raw' quality... within your budget also I think.
The obligatory gear list: Gibson SG standard,Maverick F-1,Epiphone Sheraton,'68 reissuse Jap Strat, Orange Rocker 30 and various pedals.
Electro Harmonix Users Guild #30
some of the laneys are kinda raw... gh or vh maybe. you might actually like the vintage modern too, though i doubt it's modern enough for what you want...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?