I'm not thrilled about the idea, but some of my buddies want to play electronica/dance music, and not having many people to play with, i agreed.

So where do you begin with the guitar? I know it's mostly synth/clean guitar work, but off-beat power chords just aren't cutting it. Anyone have any suggestions on where to start off by playing in this genre? I've got a chorus that I'm going to use alone with mild distortion when needed for a funk-based solo, but other than that, I'm clueless. Any input would be appreciated in uncovering the 'art' of electronica.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Lemme get this straight? You OWN a X-Plorer and your going to do Dance/Electronica.

You put shame upon guitarists dude.
i'm afraid you may have to actually listen to some electronica to get a feel for it. usually though they just play single notes on like the hard beat, or some off rhythm and then the hard beat.
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed
Lemme get this straight? You OWN a X-Plorer and your going to do Dance/Electronica.

Why?
Well, I say repeating the same simple riff over and over again works out great (calabria). Otherwise some funk/disco chords here and there. Oh and look for some freaky effects (phaser, ring mod, delay).
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed

Constructive.

Well put.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
I don't have any experience with that, but maybe you could try a really extreme phaser to get a wierd synthy sound.
I mean I'm listening to Jonezetta and trying to get a feel for it, and it seems that different double stop intervals are being used mostly by the lead guitarist. Apparently the feel we're going for is more electric then they are, but yeah.

I can tell that everything has a distict hard beat, and then going from there, there are different little fills to bridge the gaps.

As far as effects, I was thinking of picking up a delay, a phaser, and possibly the ehx microsynth, but this isn't the forum for it. I want to keep this discussion on the technique I should be focusing on.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
well, based on your gear, u can use your ds-1 and play some riffs on the main parts of the elec songs. this is done in many electronica music. u can also add solos by the middle of the song with ds-1 + crybaby... i think that using the chorus in these songs is useless, since the chorus sounds can be produced in a better way by the synthesizers.
good luck
For me playing guitar isnt just playing, I gotta feel it when im playing [Dirty comment please no!]

Like i love playing heavy metal, that when i enjoy playing guitar most, but if im forced to learn somthing i really dont like then i dont play as well as i do normally.
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed
For me playing guitar isnt just playing, I gotta feel it when im playing [Dirty comment please no!]

Like i love playing heavy metal, that when i enjoy playing guitar most, but if im forced to learn somthing i really dont like then i dont play as well as i do normally.

I'm the same way. I'm normally a straight up rock and roll guy, but there's something about listening to 'the dance' that makes me think I could really get into the groove and work it. I do like to have structre to my playing (I guess it's a curse) so that's what I'm looking for. I'm well aware that a lot of the sounds I'm going to need to make will come from trial and error, and just getting to feel it as you put it
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Quote by peilun
well, based on your gear, u can use your ds-1 and play some riffs on the main parts of the elec songs. this is done in many electronica music. u can also add solos by the middle of the song with ds-1 + crybaby... i think that using the chorus in these songs is useless, since the chorus sounds can be produced in a better way by the synthesizers.
good luck

So in a traditional rock setting, would the rhythm guitar be replaced with a synth/keyboard? I've got a pretty decent digital piano that I mess around on with.
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
don't listen to guitar_obsessed.... he sounds like a poser.... anyways onto the constructive portion of this post.

i actually enjoy playing along with electronic music of all types. i usually try to think of my guitar as something else, be it a piano or try to play something a synth might play (if this makes any sense) try to think of it like a different instrument. in actual electronic music guitars are samples and used occasionally, often just major, minor and 7th chords to highlight what the synth is doing (usually used as a rhyhtm for a synth lead) also a boat load of effects can't hurt either (the more you use, the less its gonna sound like a guitar) and as an FYI, my personal faves are phaser, flanger and delay (and a ring mod if you can find one) try not to overdo it, you really want to just compliment everything else in the song for the most part.
Quote by z4twenny
don't listen to guitar_obsessed.... he sounds like a poser.... anyways onto the constructive portion of this post.

i actually enjoy playing along with electronic music of all types. i usually try to think of my guitar as something else, be it a piano or try to play something a synth might play (if this makes any sense) try to think of it like a different instrument. in actual electronic music guitars are samples and used occasionally, often just major, minor and 7th chords to highlight what the synth is doing (usually used as a rhyhtm for a synth lead) also a boat load of effects can't hurt either (the more you use, the less its gonna sound like a guitar) and as an FYI, my personal faves are phaser, flanger and delay (and a ring mod if you can find one) try not to overdo it, you really want to just compliment everything else in the song for the most part.

You've been quite helpful.

I've actually planned to pick up a flanger/phaser as well as a Stereo Memory Man w/ Hazarai so I can run the pingpong ball effect between my two 1x12's. I'd definitely keep the trem in there as well.

As for the rhythm part of your suggestion, I was thinking about doing what you suggested, but fingerpicking them with a vibe (picking notes 1 + 3, then 2 + 4 of the chord) Would different chord varriations work with that as well? Say I were to go from a D minor bar chord, then to D minor 7th, add a 9th, then remove it, all in 16th note passages?

I suppose it would also be in the best interest to use the minor scale to develop riffs/solos? Maybe throw in the mixolydian for a little variance? Thoughts?
Gear:
Orange Tiny Terror
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Last edited by xTJx at Oct 9, 2007,
Quote by z4twenny
don't listen to guitar_obsessed....

Yeah i somehow think not. I just know what i like
Q: As for the rhythm part of your suggestion, I was thinking about doing what you suggested, but fingerpicking them with a vibe (picking notes 1 + 3, then 2 + 4 of the chord) Would different chord varriations work with that as well? Say I were to go from a D minor bar chord, then to D minor 7th, add a 9th, then remove it, all in 16th note passages?

A: yes that would be good, also simple arpeggiation up and down the chords (i do this palm muted clean with a hefty bit of delay and often some flange) really its limitless but your idea would definately work. also consider highlighting thirds of the chord and also constructing intervalic "chords" containing the 3rd and 7th (and fifth as well if you have a bass line running the root notes) this can really make a progression pop out and sound different but will still be consonant with the song.

edit: as far as adding 7ths and 9ths, the best thing to do that i recommend is adding leading tones into the next chords, 7ths are good if you're moving from the root to the 7th for example.

Q: I suppose it would also be in the best interest to use the minor scale to develop riffs/solos? Maybe throw in the mixolydian for a little variance? Thoughts

A: this depends on the song. if its a simple 3 chord progression feel free switch back and forth over scales highlighting whatever notes might be missing. lets say your chord progression doesn't contain the 6th or the 7th of the scale, switch back and forth improvising and changing the 6ths and 7ths to give different feeling to the song. a simple example would be like switching back and forth over E minor and E harmonic minor over a simple chord progression of Em, G, Am.
Last edited by z4twenny at Oct 9, 2007,
Quote by Guitar_Obsessed
Yeah i somehow think not. I just know what i like

yeah and what you like sounds pretty limited, might wanna try opening your mind up a little. just a suggestion.

and to the mods, sorry for the double post.