Yes, I did mean 'bucking I basically want a nice humbucking guitar to compliment my Strat. Here's some specific details on what I'm after and some possible candidates....:

Budget: Roughly £300
-Body Wood: Preferable Basswood/Mahogany (+Maple is nice)
-Neck: Preferably bolt-on and reasonably thin, would prefer a natural/poly satin finish, I can't stand gloss necks.
-Bridge: I'm okay with a Floyd, as long as it's a good quality one. Hardtail is also good.
-Pickups/Styles: I'm really after a HH, I've got a quality SSS guitar so i'm not really after HSH although I could live with it I guess. If the stock pickups are crap, I plan on changing them to PAF clones. I'm looking for Classic Rock - Rock tones. Absolute maximum gain would be Slither (VR), and I can easily build a booster to boost gain from my amp. Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, RHCP, Led Zeppelin, ACDC, T-rex are my fortes.
- Big frets would be nice on this one.

Others:
-I'd prefer a comfortable body - no Les Pauls, they're deadly uncomfortable without contouring and the neck is fat too.
- I really can't live with fat, Gibson-esque necks. I can handle the 43mm width but I have midget fingers.

So the options I've been looking at?

Current #1 Candidate:
Ibanez S320 with a pickup change to some cheap PAF clones.

Has a lot of what I'm looking for, good Floyd, HH, comfort, thin neck. But the pickups will cost an extra £50, bumping up price a bit...

That's the only one I've been able to come up with so far. Any suggestions/ideas? Anybody care to point me in the right direction? I'm happy with my amp, btw, and I'm getting a Laney VC30 + making a bunch of drive pedals in the near future so I'm definitely healthy on that front.

The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Oct 9, 2007,
nah man go for the schecter c-1 FR i bought it its AMAZING. Buy it DO IT DO IT its only $450
Spend a little extra and get a Parker PM20 and never look back .
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Just go second hand for an Ibanez RG5xx. I think they have some HH RG's, like the Ibanez RG520.

But if you want to go brand new, the S320 or SZxxx series is pretty good. Although there is no trem.

EDIT:

Quote by madman300
nah man go for the schecter c-1 FR i bought it its AMAZING. Buy it DO IT DO IT its only $450

Schecter costs a bomb in UK, and the only way to get them is either 2nd hand or through Soundcontrol. >_>
Quote by madman300

Not an option I'm afraid. We can only get them in one store over here and it's years away. That and they charge double for that guitar. Plus gloss neck.

Quote by FacingUsAll
Spend a little extra and get a Parker PM20 and never look back .
Interesting suggestion, what's the neck like on them?
The neck is pretty thin with a rounded profile and very slick; I think it'd be right up your alley.

Very resonant and versatile. Can get very warm LP like tones even though it's a very light guitar. I personally think that the bubinga looks ****ing spectacular .
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by FacingUsAll
The neck is pretty thin with a rounded profile and very slick; I think it'd be right up your alley.

Very resonant and versatile. Can get very warm LP like tones even though it's a very light guitar. I personally think that the bubinga looks ****ing spectacular .

Nice, if I ever get a chance to try one I will. I doubt I would, though
washburn x50pro?

yamaha aes 620 (maybe too thick neck)?

some of those chinese hamers are really nice. again, the neck might be too thick (not sure).

lag hardtails would be worth a look too, but you might fall between the price ranges there- their cheaper ones are more like £200, while the dearer ones more like £400 (and if you can stretch to that, i'd suggest edwards, though again the neck might be too thick).

other than that, i'd say the ones you're looking at are pretty decent. maybe check out some of the vintage advances too, for a laugh?

EDIT: i'd have thought the washburn is your best bet on a bang for buck basis, as it doesn't really need any upgrades. only problem is the neck, i think it's gloss. and no inlays.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
Nice, if I ever get a chance to try one I will. I doubt I would, though

Blammo

You have to be close to one of those .
Quote by utsapp89
Quote by Dave_Mc
washburn x50pro?

yamaha aes 620 (maybe too thick neck)?

some of those chinese hamers are really nice. again, the neck might be too thick (not sure).

lag hardtails would be worth a look too, but you might fall between the price ranges there- their cheaper ones are more like £200, while the dearer ones more like £400 (and if you can stretch to that, i'd suggest edwards, though again the neck might be too thick).

other than that, i'd say the ones you're looking at are pretty decent. maybe check out some of the vintage advances too, for a laugh?

EDIT: i'd have thought the washburn is your best bet on a bang for buck basis, as it doesn't really need any upgrades. only problem is the neck, i think it's gloss. and no inlays.
I've seen one of those Washburns at a store, if I remember correctly it's a carved top, slab back, gloss neck guitar? I hear the necks are like SGs too.... Shame, seeing as the specs are superb
I can't remember exactly how thick the neck was to be honest... i doubt it's as thick as a 50's gibbo neck... austin would be the guy to ask...

but yeah, i agree, apart from that it's basically exactly what you asked for.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Austin, tubadude is it?

Yeah I've been told that they're carved like the PRS wide-thin contour. Does it have any body contouring on the back, as it was a while (bout 5 months :p since I went to that store...

The X40 PRO looks cool as well, but it's a bit too metal for me...
X40 gets all round great tones, I spent a few hours playing my friends the other day, very nice. Necks not quite my taste, but I find it hard to play anything other than a Schecter now Damm Soundcontrols overpricing.
Quote by MrCarrot
^ Austin, tubadude is it?

Yeah I've been told that they're carved like the PRS wide-thin contour. Does it have any body contouring on the back, as it was a while (bout 5 months :p since I went to that store...

The X40 PRO looks cool as well, but it's a bit too metal for me...

yeah, tubadude.

and yeah, the 40 pro would probably require a bridge p'up swap for the stuff you play. it's more expensive too...

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ Yeah pretty expensive thing, hard to get hold of too.

Also some options, slightly more budget-friendly ones, as I would FAR prefer to be under-budget than over:

Ibanez RG321MH w/pickup swap to axesrus 'Giovanni' Zebra PAFs

Budget friendly, will be fine with a pickup swap, nice neck and fixed bridge, has inlays too which I prefer.

Cort X-5 w/pickup swap again

(Only in the same black is the Ibanez')

Budget friendly, if I understand it's actually basically the same guitar as the 321MH but basswood, I like the body shape and graphite nut, but I'm not sure of the HSH. I know I loved the neck on the X-6 I tried, which is the same guitar but with the LFR.

Any opinions on those?
I have a X6. The pickups are pretty nice actually. At least better than the infinity pickups in Ibanez. Seeing that you have tried one already, I wouldn't go in details.

The only problem I have with the guitar is that the neck joint makes upper fret access very difficult, by that I mean 22 - 24 of the bottom 4 strings.

EDIT: do change the pickups. I just realised that they are way below your budget.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Last edited by p.stick at Oct 9, 2007,
i haven't tried those corts... for the pickups though, i'd be inclined to give irongear a try... they get good reviews at least.

some of the hamers can be had for well under budget, ditto lags, so might be worth a look.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by p.stick
I have a X6. The pickups are pretty nice actually. At least better than the infinity pickups in Ibanez. Seeing that you have tried one already, I wouldn't go in details.

The only problem I have with the guitar is that the neck joint makes upper fret access very difficult, by that I mean 22 - 24 of the bottom 4 strings.

Aha! Are the fretboard edges on yours slightly rolled too?

I found the neck joint quite nice actually, similar to the Ibanez AANJ, better access than my Fender for sure.
Quote by MrCarrot
Aha! Are the fretboard edges on yours slightly rolled too?

I found the neck joint quite nice actually, similar to the Ibanez AANJ, better access than my Fender for sure.

I prefer the neck on my ibanez tbh.

What do you mean by slightly rolled? Mine has finished perfectly. No sharp frets, nothing sticking out etc.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

Quote by p.stick
I prefer the neck on my ibanez tbh.

What do you mean by slightly rolled? Mine has finished perfectly. No sharp frets, nothing sticking out etc.
Slightly rolled, I mean like you look and feel the fretboard edges, and they're sanded down so they're rounded and smooth, rather than sharp. I love the feel of that on guitars, not sure if the Ibanez has them or not...

What Ibanez you got?

Dave: My local store stocks Lags, I'll give 'em a whirl sometime.

Forsaknazrael: I know it's superficial, but tbh I don't think I'd be found dead playing one of those
A crappy RG370.

Yes they are. The neck is quite smooth and fast. Comparable to wizard necks. But not soo thin so that you can't play barre chords.

Btw, LOL @ "lags"

Quote by KileManA7X

Mmm, as I think I said I really liked the neck on the X-6 I played, the X-5 is really the same thing but hardtail. The only thing that's putting me off is the body contouring isn't as nice as the Ibby and it's HSH, I'd prefer HH for ease of picking. But that may not matter. I'll have to do a showdown between an X-6 and the RG321MH to see how they compare.
The Parker has a compound radius fretboard...

Quote by utsapp89
Quote by MrCarrot
Dave: My local store stocks Lags, I'll give 'em a whirl sometime.

yeah they seem to be everywhere now. none to be found, then all of a sudden, bam!
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^^ I don't much like compound fretboards...

Bump, anybody else wanna help?
I'm able to try a friend's RG370DX tomorrow, it has a Wizard II neck so I'm able to get some good details on the RG321MH from that to compare to the Cort X-6 I tried. I may also be able to try some S series Ibanez some time soon.

If I do get the RG321MH I plan on changing pickups and all the electonics, as well as setting it up and shielding it, it's a good platform for customization it seems...
yeah, that'd be a good idea to try it. it might have a slightly different nut width (or they could have changed it), but might be close enough to let you have some idea...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by MrCarrot
^^ I don't much like compound fretboards...

Bump, anybody else wanna help?

What's there not to like?

You are one craaaaaaaaaaaazy monkey.

I'm tellin' ya, Parkers kick Ibanez's ass.

Dooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt.
Quote by utsapp89
That S is probably a pretty good choice for you, but I'd try it out in a shop first.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by FacingUsAll
What's there not to like?

You are one craaaaaaaaaaaazy monkey.

I'm tellin' ya, Parkers kick Ibanez's ass.

Dooooooooooooooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt.

I just found it gets too flat for me all the way up on the Jacksons I tried, I prefer a uniform radius. I'll try the Parker if I can, but It's pretty expensive...

So it seems everybody rekcons my ideas are good? Excellent, try them all I shall