How much space do you guys leave between the 6/7th fret when you're adjusting the neck? I heard it's best to get as little space as possible, but how much is there exactly?

TIA!

Oh, if it helps any, I'm trying to get the best possible lowest playing action.

Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220
Leave it to UGer's to argue over who "owns" a language

Between the string and fret, the ideal is a single credit card's thickness, that's for trussrod adjustments. Also don't forget to set your action quite low if you want low action, as the trussrod and action are different things.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
+1 and also...
small 1/8" turns, dont force a turn, leave the neck alone an hour after adjustment.
also, it's best to detune before adjustment, especially if you're going to straighten the neck at all.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Creditcard thickness seems about right. What tuning are you in though? It also depends on that, and your string gauge.
WTLTL 2011
I usually do around quarter turns, play for a few minutes, then turn again if needed... Can this be damaging? If so, and it HAS damaged my guitar, would there be any noticable signs that such an event occured? Such as a noise or something? :/

Hope I didn't do anything wrong.

EDIT:

Standard/Halfstep/Drop D tuning. That's the lowest I go, it's usually in standard though. I use 52-10 DRs I believe, or if not, they're very close, perhaps 48/50-10 or something.
Quote by rocknrollgod
well i can tall you this much do NOT get a marshall MG. becasue you will blow the speaker with duncans in the guitar. i know for experience.

Quote by Gutch220

1/4" turns are fine if you're used to neck adjustments.
i tell n00bs 1/8" because im trying to convince them to go slow.

also, it's good to wait after an adjustment, because the neck takes that long to settle. so adjusting and adjusting, before it's settles, might not give you an optimum angle.

i dont think it will harm anything tho.

the only way to harm is to crank the nut. but im sure u know that.

if you down tune a lot ull want at least credit cards thickness, especially if u find u're getting a lot of fret buzz.

if you arent getting buzz then you are fine.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

One more thing I need clarified.

This doesn't seem right to me... Do you want (idealy) a credit card thickness in between the low E and the 6/7th frets when you fret the 1st and 22nd fret? O.o That seems like a LOT to me... Maybe that's the reason my guitar doesn't play as well as it should. I'd go test, but I think it'll take at least a full turn to get it to have that much space in between. You don't mean unfretted do you?
Quote by rocknrollgod

Quote by Gutch220

you want just less than a credit card thickness, at the middle frets, when fretting the low E at the first and last fret where the neck and body meet.

i think you're just a tad off on the measuring.

most of my guitars can get low action, with it slightly raised off the fretwire at the 8-9th fret. you dont want it laying on the wire there.

keep in mind this is just a guide. guitars should be set up in a way that best suits the player.

in most cases, helps you to get the lowest action possible without too much fretbuzz. (not controlled by saddle adjustments.)
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62