But I'm not extremely knowledgable when it comes to amps, I would really appreciate some help from the users here. I'll I've got is the crappy practice amp I've been playing for almost 18 months while I've been scraping up money for a new amp. My budget is around 350 USD(I could go a little more if I have to), so anything in that area would be awesome. I play mostly metal and metalcore, like Children Of Bodom, Pantera, At The Gates, Bullet For My Valentine, and I play quite a bit of Punk. I'm not a huge fan of tube amps, which is probably enough to get me lynched here, I'm just personally not in love with their sound. I really like the tone of CoB and metalcore bands like Bullet For My Valentine and All That Remains, just my personal preference. I would like something large enough to play small gigs, so I've been thinking 100 watt. I didn't mean to make this so damn long, I was just trying to give you guys all the info you need. Thanks a ton for any help.
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
I wonder if you've noticed, the bands you've mentioned all play tube amps...

I know why you might not like them, though. Tube amps don't get much gain, and seeing as you play metal, most of them just can't cut it.

I suggest:
-Vox Valvetronix XL - everyone on UG loved the original, and this is the new version designed for metal
-Roland Cube 60
-Peavey Valveking - yes, it's a tube amp, but you can get some nice punk/metal tones out of it. Darn cheap, too, for a tube.
Quote by sashki
I wonder if you've noticed, the bands you've mentioned all play tube amps...

I know why you might not like them, though. Tube amps don't get much gain, and seeing as you play metal, most of them just can't cut it.

I suggest:
-Vox Valvetronix XL - everyone on UG loved the original, and this is the new version designed for metal
-Roland Cube 60
-Peavey Valveking - yes, it's a tube amp, but you can get some nice punk/metal tones out of it. Darn cheap, too, for a tube.

Yeah, I kind of have noticed how they all play tubes. While I like those tones the crunch of solid states always seems to draw me in. I'll give any tube amps that are suggested a look, I can't really write them off.
Quote by J-Spoon
I did a forward roll into a backflip, caught the les paul and blasted out a face melting version of stairway to intimidate this mentally retarted kid on life support in a wheelchair that was trying to play it through an MG. What a loser.
Eh you aren't really gonna find much of anything for around 350....Cube 60 might be your best bet, or a Peavey Valveking with a nice distortion pedal, otherwise keep on saving your money man.
how about the Vox AD50VT...thats a modelling amp and they are worth the $$$ IMO
yah the vox ad50vt is pretty sweet man
when i want to play something that sounds like old school punk
i put on the ac30tb amp model and bring the gain all the way up and use the compressor effect

if you want more modern punk with a roar the uk modern is the sht, more dirty sht go onto the nu-metal seting and if you want something with a bite use the uk80s amp model

thats what i love about the valvetronix all these great sounds for only 350

it has 11 amp models all together and 11 effects and its good for punk as far as i know just make sure you crunk the ****er all the way up

what i do is put the little noise gate in the back all the way up and the master volume all the way up and then i dont even have to take the volume half way and its blwoing your ****ing ears off

its an awesome amp man for the money no doubt about it
and plus its a hybrid its got one tube in it
dosent make it sound like a tube amp but it sounds bettor than a regular solid state
and essentially its still a solidstate amp

and also if you could get like 700 bucks you could get a B-52 and there pretty ****ing good themeselves
Last edited by the-kid66 at Oct 10, 2007,
Valvetronix sounds just like solid state. The tube is marketing hype.
B52 60 watt 112.
Peavey Valveking 50 watt 112.
Both need a pedal for metal.
Either of these will have more than enough power.
There's nothing else tube available in your price range unless you go used, which opens up an entire new range of possibilities.
yah thoes would be good amps to and get a pedal to go along with it
but in the end it would probly end up costing you like 600-700 bucks