Page 1 of 4
So iv just ordeed my first tube amp, the ashdown fallen angel 40DSP!
after weeks of searching for a suitable amp for metal, reading hundreds of reviews, listening to hundreds of sound clips (since i live 160 miles from anyone who has one!)
i got it for £290 for the amp (new!), with footswitch and five year warranty.
any comments youv got post
and if there are any things that i cant do with a tube amp, that i did with my solid state, please tell me

il edit this post later when the amp arrives with pics!

Arrived today, what an amp!
pics soon

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looks beautiful!

wow they are HUGEly crap quality, i must get camera.....
Last edited by Guitar-God-Elf at Oct 15, 2007,
your next thread: I just got my first tube amp! | Ashdown Fallen Angel!

EDIT:congrats
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
^^
thank both of you!
i really hope i like it, and cant wait for my first chance to crank it!

edit:wait, what? ^

edit 2: oh right, my readings a bit bad im tired as hell lol

and il probably just edit this one
Last edited by Guitar-God-Elf at Oct 9, 2007,
I have the 212 version, it's fantastic. May want to get an overdrive pedal to give you a boost for really high gain tones, but other than that its a great amp.
sweet! just remember to warm up the valves for about 2 minutes using the standby button before you turn it on...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
sweet! just remember to warm up the valves for about 2 minutes using the standby button before you turn it on...

oki doki

so to turn on is it like, standby on (wait 2 mins), power on?

and for turning off, power off, standby off?
Could've bought my 60 for £250
But I'm certain you will love this amp, I always loved mine. And it's true about it being bassy, careful what you're doing with that bass knob!
Last edited by Zakk_Wylde001 at Oct 9, 2007,
Quote by thedonutman

Also, its very big and heavy for a 40w combo, it weighs about 25kg.

Pussy, I have to lug about 200kg of gear for a gig
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
oki doki

so to turn on is it like, standby on (wait 2 mins), power on?

and for turning off, power off, standby off?

assuming it works like most tube amps (they aren't all exactly the same; you can normally work it out, though), it'll have a power switch, and a standby switch.

The power switch should be labelled "on" and "off", while the standby switch should be labelled "standby" and "on". Or something like that, anyway.

When turning on, make sure the standby switch is set to "standby", and then flick the power switch to "on".

After a couple of minutes, flick the standby switch to "on".

When turning off, reverse this. You don't HAVE to flick it to standby before turning off, but i work on the basis of better safe than sorry, and also if you flick to standby first, you don't have to worry about having the standby switch in the right position the next time you power up the amp...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
Could've bought my 60 for £250
But I'm certain you will love this amp, I always loved mine. And it's true about it being bassy, careful what you're doing this that bass knob!

i remember
but my dad preffered me to buy it new
and thanks, im almost certain il love it, people always go on about that, some even use it as a bass amp!

edit: thanks dave mc, im sure il work it out
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if your balls havent dropped the bass on this thing will make them, i loved it when i played it, then it disappeared forever
Quote by Kutanmoogle
Now introducing Megabreth, Dave Mustaine's signature Tic-Tac!

Member of the ENGL Family

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by thedonutman
Its INCREDIBLY bassy, I often play my bass through it

Point one is probably because of point two- you may well have blown the speaker which makes bass go crazy.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Nah, it's just a hangover from Ashdown's bass amplification background, the Fallen Angels have ludicrous amounts of bass.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf
the amp was supposed to arrive today!
but it hasnt been dispatched!
i sure hope they dont use royal mail.....

Who have you ordered it from? Not many places use Royal Mail for things like that.
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
Who have you ordered it from? Not many places use Royal Mail for things like that.

rockingrooster.co.uk

they use parcelforce, i sent an email
damn i wa hoping to play it tonite
just bear in mind, parcelforce could arrive at virtually any time of the day. i've got stuff from them at 2pm before. EDIT: what i mean is, if they haven't arrived first thing in the morning, it doesn't mean they aren't coming...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^oh....

we just got a call and it wont be here till monday, because they only have one in stock, and its a display model and had to check it was alright with us.
but i still get a five year warranty so its no problem.
and they only have the one in stock, so it'l be sent out tommorow.

edit: and i promise juicy pictures on monday night
floor model still probably wont be used much. as it's unheard of only people who know what it is (and therefore probably know how to use a tube amp) will use it. noobs go for marshall mg's and crud. tubes should still be like new
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Storm_Bringer_
floor model still probably wont be used much. as it's unheard of only people who know what it is (and therefore probably know how to use a tube amp) will use it. noobs go for marshall mg's and crud. tubes should still be like new

+1. Although the Fallen Angel was legendary for breaking down as soon as it left the store, although I never had that problem and neither do any of the people I know personally. I think that was the earlier model, without the effects actually. I'm not sure, don't worry though
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001
+1. Although the Fallen Angel was legendary for breaking down as soon as it left the store, although I never had that problem and neither do any of the people I know personally. I think that was the earlier model, without the effects actually. I'm not sure, don't worry though

oh well, iv been set up with a five year warranty
got dispatched 4 hours ago, and currently in preston depot.
its about 2 hours away, its really unlikely, but i cant help but really hope for it to come tonite

cant wait for my first tube amp!!!
Preston is more than 2 hours I'm afraid - and i'm a bit shocked that it took 4 hours to get there as the chances are it's actually the Leyland depot wihich is about 10 minutes from Rocking Rooster's warehouse!

Sounds like they drove it round there and it's getting sent out tomorrow, unless the strike affects it..
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Preston is more than 2 hours I'm afraid - and i'm a bit shocked that it took 4 hours to get there as the chances are it's actually the Leyland depot wihich is about 10 minutes from Rocking Rooster's warehouse!

shows my geography skills
Quote by Guitar-God-Elf

shows my geography skills

Don't worry about it, my ENGL was ordered on Monday and it still hasn't arrived yet, nor is there a way for me to track my order, so hopefully it'll be here next week
strike is postponed til monday. also the courts are now taking action against the strike (i think) as too many businesses are in serious problems because of it. so there's a chance they won't be striking. i don't know I wasn't paying much attention to the news. anyway it should be with you tomorrow so stay in lol
Quote by Kutanmoogle

Gear:

Hamer Vector
OLP John Petrucci
ENGL Thunder 50
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DD-3
Vox V847
Korg Toneworks OD
Quote by Zakk_Wylde001

Don't worry about it, my ENGL was ordered on Monday and it still hasn't arrived yet, nor is there a way for me to track my order, so hopefully it'll be here next week

ah well, we can both await kickass amps next week!
off topic:
which engl is it?

edit: i forgot to mention, you have to pay for saturday delivery, £20 its a ripoff!
so should be here monday
Many times I have been to that damn preston depot to pick up guitars and amps....only half hour away from me though
Diezel, Motherfucker
Quote by mh400nt
Many times I have been to that damn preston depot to pick up guitars and amps....only half hour away from me though

lucky sod
and i agree all delivery is a rip-off.
and if i was expecting an Engl fireball, and it was taking ages id be sending them emails left right and centre lol
Page 1 of 4