I want to record my playing, to upload and send to friends etc. I have no idea what I need in order to do this however. My amp has a line out, I have 2 microphones (one with decent quality).

Would I connect my line out with a microphone line in on my computer? Do I need a recording program or something?

I used the search but it turned up nothing useful. Sorry if this has been asked a billion times.
WTLTL 2011
This is the wrong place to ask.

You can use a mic to record or use your line out and connect your amp directly into your computer.

Sound Recorder works if you have nothing else.
Alright, thanks. I'm not at all familiar with recording so I wasn't sure where to ask this.
WTLTL 2011
I use a free program called Audacity to record. You can lay down multiple tracks, and use a bunch of different little effects. Just google it.
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Mark+G/music/all/play100716

the link.

Sorry about posting in the wrong place, I wasn't sure. I needed to know about gear and accessories in order to record:S

Anyways it is only a test so don't judge skill or anything. It was recorded with a cheap microphone about a meter away from the amp. I couldn't try a direct connection because I don't have the right plug to go into the computer.
WTLTL 2011
that sounds better than my recordings
i need help with the same thing too.
i use my $30 mp3 player to record then i upload it to Audacity and i just stack it with other guitar parts.
Ibanez RG7321
Dean Evo Special 7
Agile AL-2000
ESP LTD VB-300
Peavey Vypyr 30
General of the 7 String/ERG Legion

Quote by Bentheemo
Thats probably some of the best advice I've ever received on here.
try moving your mic a hell of a lot closer. a room mic will rarely produce a good sound on it's own, so if you're just using one mic, shove it right up against the speaker and you'll find the sound to be much closer to what you hear from a meter back (it's weird, I know.) Just mess around with where it is in relation to the speaker. Right in the middle of the speaker will tend to get you a much brighter sound, whereas if you move it off-center a bit it tends to darken or muddy up, sometimes providing more balls but less definition. Mess around to find what works best for you though. Keep in mind too that the microphone is very rarely the weakest link in the recording process.
there is another way to record without a mic stuck to the amp. look for an amp with a headphones slot and connect one end of a guitar cable there. connect the other end to a computer's mic or line in slot. you may need an adaptor to make the other end smaller, you can buy it at Radio Shack. Now, go to the volume control in the computer (for microsoft, click Start-All Programs-Accesories-Entertainment-Volume Control) and click on options (located in the upper left end of the volume control window) and then click on properties. in the window that just popped up, u will see some boxes checked. scroll that part up or down until u find "mic" or "line in". check those boxes and click OK. you will now see line in or mic or both of them. turn their volume as high as you want then click on options (located in the upper left end of the volume control window) and then click on properties. in the window that just popped up, u will see something like "adjust volume for" and "playback" and "recording". click on the circle beside it and scroll the part where you see the boxes checked up or down until u find "mic" or "line in". check those boxes and click OK. you will now see line in or mic or both of them. turn their volume as high as you want and open the sound recorder (for microsoft, click Start-All Programs-Accesories-Entertainment-sound recorder) or any other recording device and record.
NOTE>connect ur guitar to the input slot.
Wow, your post gave me a headache....

However, I do think its a really cool idea to connect the headphone out to the computer. I'll go buy an adapter pretty soon and try it out. Thanks!
WTLTL 2011
If you go direct in make sure you use line in and not the mic slot. It may still sound like crap if you do not have a good sound card.