Hey guys, right now im looking at buying my next guitar on ebay. The only problem is I've never even used ebay before. Just wondering if anyone has any tips on not getting my money taken. I am very nervous about buying over ebay.

Any stories anyone could share? bad or good.
I don't have to, but I would like to, seems like a great resource for getting equipment that I otherwise could not afford.
basically, don't buy anything coming from overseas (a lot of fake guitars) such as from china or honk kong or anything like that, and generally be weary of anything which has a greater delivery cost then the price of the item
Avoid deals that seem too good to be true. Don't buy from China. Make sure it has a good description (engrish = bad) with a lot of pictures. Ask for the serial number to run it (if possible) in a database. Ask the seller questions, too.
If shipping costs more than the guitar, don't go for it.
Ibanez Prestige RGA321SPB
check the sellers rating (its a percent near their name) if its like 99% percent or something that means they are good sellers and people would recommend them. the lower their percent is the less people think of them as a seller. Also, just check for other things you might think are wrong in the write up about the guitar and up by their name you can find a link that says ask seller a question if you need to ask them anything. Hope that helps...
cheers betch
I dunno whether this has cleared up or not, but there is/was a china guitar scam where you would be offered a guitar for 99p (usually a gibson or fender) that is "american guitar built in china" or "electricity guitar" and they normally charge £150/$ to ship. the guitar recieved isn't worth the postage and packaging at that price

so look out for guitars from china for pennies

happy bidding
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by j.pagejr.
check the sellers rating (its a percent near their name) if its like 99% percent or something that means they are good sellers and people would recommend them. the lower their percent is the less people think of them as a seller. Also, just check for other things you might think are wrong in the write up about the guitar and up by their name you can find a link that says ask seller a question if you need to ask them anything. Hope that helps...

Make sure that they have a large number of sales to 100% satisfaction from one sale means nothing...

also I lol'd at electricity guitar
Always ask for better pics of the guitar if you cant see the headstock clearly and pics of any damage
"Make my funk the P-Funk, I want my funk uncut"
Quote by jambi_mantra
James, are you God?

Fender Highway One Tele
1985 Encore 335
Takamine EG523sc
Laney VC15
Vox V847
MXR M-108
EHX Q-Tron+, Big Muff Pi, POG
MI Audio Crunch Box
Yamaha DTXplorer DrumKit
i bought my flying v off ebay for 370 dollars and it sounds and plays great but when i bought it the seller trien to charge me 390 for shipping so i haggledf it down to 99 which was much cheaper.

the morale of this story is dont pay too much for shipping
equipment
guitars:
lefty fender tele standard ,
lefty tanglewood electro-acoustic
usa gibson flying v (flipped for lefty)
castrol oil can single coil electric
amp
vox ad50vt
pedals
dunlop crybaby wah
mxr blue box

go on ireland!
If the seller is not far away, ask if you would be able to go and see the guitar before hand, because if you can then you can check that everything works (so take a small amp), and if he says "no, bugger off, you have pics" then chances are it isn't in full working order. If the seller is far away, ask them if they could video themselves playing the guitar plugged into an amp for about a minute and showing all the body/headstock etc to prove that it works, but not everybody has the means to do this. Look out for dodgy or short descriptions, blurry or no pics of item and low-rated seller.
I buy a lot on Ebay and have gotten the best deals there and some on Craigs list. With Ebay I first check out the feedback and then the shipping. Some Ebay sellers sell low but nail you with crazy shipping in order to avoid Ebay fees so you have to be very careful. I have seen decent guitars sell for $100.00 or less only to find they have double and triple the cost in shipping.
Feel free to ask the seller questions about the auction your bidding on.
Use Pay Pal if at all possible there is a lot more you can do if the seller stiffs you. A Pay Pal Credit card is good just use it for the auction and pay it off right away. You'll get buyer protection that way.
Now, Craigs list is much different only buy local if you can. I would never send anyone money to anyone on Craigs. I have bought three guitars in the last few months on Craigs and met the person selling the item this way I can check it out and not worry about getting something not right.

John
Another tip is try to buy an item that is being shipped from your country. If you're american, you're in luck because most of the good stuff is sold within the US. If you're canadian, like myself, don't buy a guitar that is being shipped from the states cause the shipping will be more and you'll have to pay the delivery guy brokerage fees or they won't give you your item. I bought a $200 pedal and I owed $50 to the UPS guy because my item was valued at over a certain amount. Different couriers have different rules, and the odd one won't charge brokerage fees at all, but most of them do.