i'm lookin to expand my effects. for my bass right now, i got just an Electro Harmonix Bassballs. I love it to death. i'm lookin to get some distortion. i'm leaning towards a Big Muff or even, a Metal Muff. i've heard in passing that the Metal Muff isn't geared well for bass. this is why i'm asking you bass gurus what i should get. and i'm also open to other suggestions.
GAS List:
Nothing
*Shines the fitz light*

Anyway, I suggest (if you can find one) a Gallien Krueger Diesel Dawg. It can make your bass growl, get a gnarly overdrive, or anything between.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
Quote by Flummery
i'm leaning towards a Big Muff

inb4Fitz

In any case wah is always a good place to start a pedal collection. I'd say either a Cry Baby or maybe Boss Chorus?
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
I'd say something about your idea of a Big Muff, but I'm sure fitz will be here soon to say it in far more ellequent terms than I could ever hope to achieve.

If you want some decent bass distortion, and don't just want to sound like Cliff, I would check out the Digitech X-series bass driver. Granted, I'm not big on bass distortion, but this one added a good amount of dirt to my tone without ruining the clarity or low end. Something else you might want to look at is a pedal that lets you mix the wet and dry signals. I think that a nice fat clean signal mixed with some dirt on top sounds excellent, and will really make your bass stand out.

As far as other effects go, I would get a chorus pedal. I think Boss makes a decent bass chorus. It adds thickness to your tone and gives it a warm, floating feeling. I also think it helps bring out clarity for slap bass, but this might just be me. Phaser, flangers, and wahs can all sound cool, too, if used right.
Don't make the mistake i did, and get a Big Muff, you can only get two tones out of it, a "wuuuuurph" and a "beeerrph". I guess it's okay if you want a really harsh tone, if you play grindcore/hardcore or something like that.

I like the Ibanez PD7, but if you wan't REALLY good tone, go for the SansAmp Bass Driver (I know it's supposed to be a preamp, but a lot of people use it as an OD box), or the Fulltone Bassdrive. Stuff of dreams.
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
Last edited by Welsh Guitar at Oct 9, 2007,
DON'T GET A GUITAR DISTORTION FOR A BASS GUITAR.

Just don't.

Let me say that again.

DON'T GET a GUITAR DISTORTION FOR A BASS GUITAR.

It'll suck your low end out like a bitch. Why remove the part of your sound that you're supposed to provide?
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101

Just don't.

Let me say that again.

It'll suck your low end out like a bitch. Why remove the part of your sound that you're supposed to provide?

but leik....clif berton did it and hes gawd lolol

But seriously, Big Muffs are only handy when you're biamping and can still keep a clean signal alongside the distortion (something like Justin Chancellor's rig).
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Quote by Confused4930
but leik....clif berton did it and hes gawd lolol

But seriously, Big Muffs are only handy when you're biamping and can still keep a clean signal alongside the distortion (something like Justin Chancellor's rig).

And Geddy Lee! [/generic bassist]
Ibanez SR505
Ashdown ABM 300 EVO II
Epifani UL410
the boss ODB-3 is a great OD!

Go for maybe a delay pedal or chorus if you want some random effects or even a synth pedal but thats going to set you back a lil
. . .

WOW SH*T

My Axe: WarwickThumb
A chorus pedal can do wonders for your sound. I'd highly recommend the Digitech: X Series MutliVoice Chorus. For the price and quality of sound, I think its better than the Boss.
True...I forgot all about delay and reverb. Delay can add some awesome texture to the right line.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead

Definitely invest in a wah, chorus, flanger and delay.

Distortion is good too, depending on the type of music you play. I'd recommend the Ibanez PD7, as it can go from slightly gritty to pretty heavy with the flick of a switch. It's also really cheap - I got mine used for $35, and new they're maybe $80 CDN. Compare this to a $100 Digitech or a $110 BOSS

The Fulltone Bass Driver is probably the best I've heard, although it costs a lot... around $200?
For distortion I will recommend the EBS Valvedrive as it provides tube distortion and can also act as a tube preamp from what I've heard.
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )
Somebody mentioned the Ibanez PD7, IMO that is a great pedal.

I played it stacking up to the Digitech Bass Overdrive and the BOSS ODB 3 something Overdrive, and the Ibanez is a notch above those two for a couple dollars less.

I picked up my PD7 new for $40 (it's listed at $60 at the shop I go to, but I buy stuff from them constantly, so they cut me some slack).

The Digitech was $110 and the Boss $100.
Also inb4fitzy

I don't own effects, but I think useful ones besides envelope filter are chorus and distortion. You maybe don't need a wah, as an envelope filter kinda takes care of it. However, if you want a wah, go right ahead.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Also inb4fitzy

I don't own effects, but I think useful ones besides envelope filter are chorus and distortion. You maybe don't need a wah, as an envelope filter kinda takes care of it. However, if you want a wah, go right ahead.

Actually, if anything, you need a wah more than an envelope filter, and an envelope filter is just an automatc wah (unless I'm very much mistaken), so you could nearly reproduce it with a normal wah, with some fancy footwork.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Nutter_101

Just don't.

Let me say that again.

use 2 amps? 1 amp has distortion and the other one clean to keep the low end

EDIT: thefitz has a good distortion pedal, get his
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by 14shadesofblue
use 2 amps? 1 amp has distortion and the other one clean to keep the low end

EDIT: thefitz has a good distortion pedal, get his

It's much easier and more effective to get a bass distortion.

The ODB-3 is a versitile pedal for its price thanks the its built in EQ. The Fulltone is all round amazing but pricy.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
since i'm a little strapped for cash i think ima go for the PD7
GAS List:
Nothing
Try a few then choose. Online may be cheaper, but is the suprise worth the risk? Does an online review make it right for you?

And if you try in a good honest shop with fair prices then buy online to sae a tenner, I will hunt you down...

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Does anyone else feel like the CEB-3 is an awesome chorus?
I don't feel any need to change mine, but I'm thinking of getting a DD-6 too.

The EBS Valvedrive is awesome, it's so... warm...
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Alright, I'm doing it. Check the new threads soon.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..