you can get different types of network cards, some plug into the back of your computer and some plug into your usb

and the wireless router will replace your current modem
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
You are correct about the router; it does connect to the modem. For the wireless adapter, you can either get a usb version, or an actual pci wireless card. The usb version can be removed easily, while the pci version requires opening the computer and plugging it into a pci slot. I would recommend buying a usb version if you're not familiar with computers.

Also, the prices you mentioned are not ridiculous, but you don't need to pay a Qwest person to install the stuff for you cuz the router and adapter come with really easy instructions that pretty much anyone can figure out. If you're looking for a budget router, i would get the linksys wrt54g. It's not too great, but its worth the money. If you're going for a good router, I find the dlink gigabit router pretty decent. But really, there shouldnt be that big of a difference, as long as it's not too cheap. For the adapter, just don't get anything too cheap.
Quote by rhysm
and the wireless router will replace your current modem

It won't replace it; it'll be connected to it. You still need the modem
Quote by cr4zym0nk3y
It won't replace it; it'll be connected to it. You still need the modem

It SHOULD replace it. Well a wireless modem should. As in it gives off a WIRELESS SIGNAL. ...anyone?
im not really a pro on the whole wireless subject but my router has replaced the modem so i thought it would be the same for all
Quote by .arkness:.
I did it in the church confession booth. i jizzed all over the mesh in an attempt to hit the priest.
Quote by cr4zym0nk3y
but you don't need to pay a Qwest person to install the stuff for you cuz the router and adapter come with really easy instructions that pretty much anyone can figure out.

Yeah, thats the problem. I told them that if it just involves plugging in cables and cords and installing software I can do it, but unfortunately they for some reason say that if I buy their router and adapter, that THEY have to install it, and I dont have a choice in the matter ...so whatever. I just decided to get a cheaper one somewhere else and install my own myself.

Other than that, you answered a lot of my questions.

Also, whats the deal with "fiber optic" internet now...Theyre telling me that in my area, it just happens to be available so it overrides regular DSL, and I HAVE to take it instead of regular DSL. Also, they say its so new, it takes a "special" modem, and that they cant sell me the modem for it, so I need to rent it for $5.00 a month, and I can try and buy one somewhere, but I probably wont be able to find one.
I just decided to get a 25' Ethernet cord for now, and run it from one room to the other.

I have another question though. Qwest is trying to sell me the "Qwest Choice Online Premier" package, as its "only available in 3 cities in the state of Arizona", and I "just happen to live in one of them". The representative says that it uses Fiber Optics instead of whatever DSL uses, and that you need a "special modem" for it, which can only be rented from them for $5.00/month, and they cant sell me one. I asked if I could buy one elsewhere and use it, and he said yeah if I can find one, but I probably wont be able to. This sounds like BS to me, so whats the deal? Can I use any DSL modem for this particular package? I asked a sales rep at Frys when I bought the ethernet cord, and he said hes never heard of that, and that Fiber Optics are only used in large businesses, and theres no way they would be used in a home.
Last edited by GLP standard at Oct 9, 2007,
I am not sure about the Qwest service you mentioned over fiber optics but I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I chose this model because Linksys is very prevalent and you can use alternate firmware on the router. Their are some good open-source alternatives available. DD-WRT is a popular choice as is openwrt if you want to expand the capabilities of a fairly versatile router. I like the router and they are not very expensive. I found one for you in Phoenix, the same place I bought mine and it is already half what I paid for it a year ago $58 router If you bought that ethernet cable at Fry's you probably paid almost that much for a cat5 cable. Are you unable to get Cox Cable internet? I get at least 6500kb/s and often up to 12000kb/s downloads depending how many computers are online in the house at the same time and it costs $45 per month and you can get a cable modem for about $50 and often times a rebuilt modem from Cox for a penny. I never liked Qwest so I'm biased but I know from experience Cox is faster

FWIW,

John
Quote by Ta2dPagan
I am not sure about the Qwest service you mentioned over fiber optics but I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I chose this model because Linksys is very prevalent and you can use alternate firmware on the router. Their are some good open-source alternatives available. DD-WRT is a popular choice as is openwrt if you want to expand the capabilities of a fairly versatile router. I like the router and they are not very expensive. I found one for you in Phoenix, the same place I bought mine and it is already half what I paid for it a year ago $58 router If you bought that ethernet cable at Fry's you probably paid almost that much for a cat5 cable. Are you unable to get Cox Cable internet? I get at least 6500kb/s and often up to 12000kb/s downloads depending how many computers are online in the house at the same time and it costs $45 per month and you can get a cable modem for about $50 and often times a rebuilt modem from Cox for a penny. I never liked Qwest so I'm biased but I know from experience Cox is faster

FWIW,

John

The only reason I want to go with Qwest is because its only $26.00 a month. Im kind of on a tight budget.